Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Does original warranty work for second owner or a way to buy warranty ?

Can the second owner get some kind of warranty on the camera ?

02-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Don't think so...

I believe that the Pentax 2-year extended warranty is meant for new purchases from authorized dealers. You might be able to get a third-party warranty though. Might be a rip-off, so can't vouch for any.
02-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #3

I just read the extended warranty card for my K5 and it clearly states (warrants to the original purchaser).
Mike
02-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't think Pentax really cares about who the owner is as long as the original invoice is produced. Unless you explicitly tell them that you bought it used, there's no real way they can prove that the camera wasn't purchased by someone else for you as a gift. I've sent my Pentax K20D under the extended warranty and it was purchased and shipped to a foreign address some three years ago. I've also sent a used Pentax K-5 under the normal warranty that I bought used from a guy in a different state. The invoice even had all the address details blacked out. No questions asked by Pentax.

02-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
I don't think Pentax really cares about who the owner is as long as the original invoice is produced. Unless you explicitly tell them that you bought it used, there's no real way they can prove that the camera wasn't purchased by someone else for you as a gift. I've sent my Pentax K20D under the extended warranty and it was purchased and shipped to a foreign address some three years ago. I've also sent a used Pentax K-5 under the normal warranty that I bought used from a guy in a different state. The invoice even had all the address details blacked out. No questions asked by Pentax.
Agreed! Or just tell them you got it as a gift. We're allowed to receive gifts, aren't we?
02-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Assuming...

QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
Assuming that the OP has the original receipt. I was assuming that they don't have it. Original receipt - recieved as a gift - good idea.
02-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm one of the first to call BS on Pentax USA but the reports here of their service have been mixed on results but the up front process has been pretty good from what I read on the board. When we had the Extended Warranty discussion following CyberMonday it became clear that they no longer want stamped warranty cards but do want the DATED receipt and the warranty card itself.

02-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Yep...

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I'm one of the first to call BS on Pentax USA but the reports here of their service have been mixed on results but the up front process has been pretty good from what I read on the board. When we had the Extended Warranty discussion following CyberMonday it became clear that they no longer want stamped warranty cards but do want the DATED receipt and the warranty card itself.
...and some say that they want the DATED receipt for the extended warranty card because they are supposed to only be valid if they are purchased within 30 days (or some other specific time period?) of the camera purchase.
02-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
...and some say that they want the DATED receipt for the extended warranty card because they are supposed to only be valid if they are purchased within 30 days (or some other specific time period?) of the camera purchase.
Well, it does establish when the warranty would end too. Haven't had anyone say that their request was denied because it was 32 days between purchases. Could happen I suppose but haven't read of it having happened.
02-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

In my case and past experience (with Pentax Canada), the original 2-year warranty applies even if you are not the original purchaser provided that you have the original receipt. I don't know if the same would apply to extended warranty (third-party).
02-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
In my case and past experience (with Pentax Canada), the original 2-year warranty applies even if you are not the original purchaser provided that you have the original receipt. I don't know if the same would apply to extended warranty (third-party).
In the US there is a Pentax Extended warranty that is a genuine extension of the original 1 year warranty. I was referring to it and not to any 3rd party warranty that might be available.
02-29-2012, 04:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
In the US there is a Pentax Extended warranty that is a genuine extension of the original 1 year warranty. I was referring to it and not to any 3rd party warranty that might be available.
Do you have to buy that within the first 30 days ? or Can the second owner buy that separately ?
02-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Aye-aye

QuoteOriginally posted by StDevious Quote
Do you have to buy that within the first 30 days ? or Can the second owner buy that separately ?
Let me put it this way:

If you were to email or phone Pentax USA you will likely get a "no." (I have even read posts here by someone that has spoken to Pentax USA about this specific issue, and the answer was "no.") If you bought a warranty and your camera breaks prior to the warranty expiring, as long as you have a receipt for your camera and a receipt for the warranty, you have at least one leg to stand on. Works for some pirates.

I am assuming that the original purchaser bought the camera less than a year ago. Is that correct? Do you have their receipt for the purchase?
02-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
Let me put it this way:

If you were to email or phone Pentax USA you will likely get a "no." (I have even read posts here by someone that has spoken to Pentax USA about this specific issue, and the answer was "no.") If you bought a warranty and your camera breaks prior to the warranty expiring, as long as you have a receipt for your camera and a receipt for the warranty, you have at least one leg to stand on. Works for some pirates.

I am assuming that the original purchaser bought the camera less than a year ago. Is that correct? Do you have their receipt for the purchase?
Haven't bought it yet, but wanted to be clear before making a purchase
02-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StDevious Quote
In the US, in theory, it must be purchased at the time of the purchase of the camera, however PentaxImaging has said anything from 30 to 60 to 90 days later is fine. I have not seen anyone post that their warranty claim was denied because of a gap between purchase dates.

The purchase of the camera in the US gets you 1 year under Pentax Imaging, I believe that Pentax Canada automatically gives you 2 years. Some credit cards will double or add 1 year depending to that warranty period. The US Pentax Extended warranty is for an additional 2 years from purchase of the Camera which gives you 3 years total directly from Pentax.

Other countries will have different arrangements, its best to visit their website and check directly.