Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Look at the cost differential. If it's over US$300, go used, and buy an extended warranty. Otherwise, go new.

03-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #17
Pentaxian

For myself, I'd wait. Whatever is going to replace the K5 will probably appear before summer. Even if it takes till fall, and another few months to see what kind of teething pains it's going to have, it isn't that long a wait. There's nothing wrong with the K7.
Unless the K5 got suddenly a whole lot better, it's prone to enough problems that giving it a pass if what comes next is improved in QC, it's worth the wait.
If the next camera isn't better, then K5's will probably still be cheaper than they are now.
03-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If the next camera isn't better, then K5's will probably still be cheaper than they are now.
That's my position as well.

If there is no urgency to replace the K-7 then just wait a bit longer and see what options will be revealed at Photokina.

I heavily doubt that you'll have to pay more for a K-5 then than you do now. Dealers will be keen to clear the shelves for products with higher margins.
03-02-2012, 01:11 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't buy now, wait for the new K-whatever. New price will drop for K-5 and SH - if the new camera will be better and have less problems - you could get one for peanuts.

03-02-2012, 04:48 AM   #20
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I was in the same shoes two weeks ago. While I myself is an amateur photographer, my wife takes photographs of some events on commercial basis and they are mostly held in low-light or tungsten lighted places. She used to shot with external flash but it sometimes slow to recycle. We were considering Nikon D700 for some time but after careful inspection of many high-iso K-5 shots on the forum and elsewhere we decided that getting K-5 + Fa 31 ltd makes more sense (and costs the same as Nikon body alone). Whatever comes after K-5 it would take at least a few months to get to the shelves and maybe a few months more to fix some early bugs. So even if Pentax releases a FF body or something else groundbreaking, the k-5 would be kept as a viable back-up. So.. yes, k-5 looks like a very good camera and a meaningful upgrade over k-7 at the current price point.
03-02-2012, 05:25 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
For myself, I'd wait. Whatever is going to replace the K5 will probably appear before summer. Even if it takes till fall, and another few months to see what kind of teething pains it's going to have, it isn't that long a wait. There's nothing wrong with the K7.
Unless the K5 got suddenly a whole lot better, it's prone to enough problems that giving it a pass if what comes next is improved in QC, it's worth the wait.
I don't know. I own two K5s at this point and have been very satisfied. No weird flash issues, no sensor stains, no lens release button falling off. I think a lot of that stuff is fixed at this point. It is the new camera that will be buggy when released and have issues that need to be ironed out over the first month or two. The K20 and K7 both had issues after they were released (K7 had green line issue and K20 had some circuit board problem that made it lock up) that were resolved over time.

My recommendation would be to buy a K5 -- if you can get enough price knocked off for used then that is reasonable, otherwise buy new. It is awfully nice to have warranty (I think you can still get 2 years extended for an extra 20 dollars).
03-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Look at the cost differential. If it's over US$300, go used, and buy an extended warranty. Otherwise, go new.
Right now that $300 amount equates to about 30%. In many cases that I have seen from just browsing in the Marketplace, the difference between new and used has been substantially smaller ~10%. Another avenue is refurbished, and these are targets of opportunity. You need to look and then be lucky. I think that I have read about one or two instances on Amazon where they had a few refurbished units - at a good price.

I think that this is a case of waiting for a good opportunity to come along and have sufficient knowledge to recognize it and be in the position to execute.

03-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #23

I'm going to be shooting two weddings this year (for friends) and thinking of upgading from K7 to K5, mainly for the better low light/high ISO capability.
I could get a flash but am thinking that a. flash won't be allowed in the church and b. in the long run I'd use camera more without a flash.

Hopefully I'll be able to upgrade to the K5 and get a flash (and learn how to use it properly)- this would be the ideal setup.

03-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I got a K-5 to replace my K20D. The new model will come out soon, at somewhere around $1800 and I won't want to afford a new one until it gets to the end of it's run, like the K-5 is now. My K20D occasionally ruins a shot by putting lines through an image. At first it did it intermittently, last summer it ruined 4 out of 5 shots in one sequence... so though most of the time it's not a problem, it's bad enough I'm thinking I might need something within the next few years. So for me it was either now, or take a chance on paying full price a year down the line. So far, after one day shooting, I'm impressed. I can't tell you what's different, but something is and I quite like it. The K20D is relegated to back-up camera status, and I have no problem with the idea of using it in that capacity. Or I can use it on hikes so I don't have to change lenses in the field. Dust is one of my biggest problems. WIth the 18-135 on the K20D and the 60-25- on the K-5, there's not much I wouldn't be ready for. Besides, the K-5 a more than a year after it's release is still the best APS-c sensor out there, and rated better than any Canon full frame. No matter what happens in the future, it's still the best APS-c of it's generation and worthy of hanging on to even after it's useful life is over, just for that reason. The thing is, at $1000 I didn't feel I had to trade in my K20D to get it. At $1800... that would be different.
03-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #25

K-5 US Price drop - $999!
03-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #26

Original Poster
Decided to buy K5

Thank You all for your kind suggestions.

I could not resist it any more and bought a good used K5 kit that included pentax 50-135 2.8 also.

I have tested both for couple of days and have been very happy with the results. The ISO performance of K5 is much much better than K7, allowing me to take many shots without Flash which I would not have considered possible with K7. I have noticed only a marginal improvement in AF speed though. Still al lot to learn.

As the k5 Kit had items I already owned and to recover some costs I am now selling the K7, Pentax 16-50mm SDM, 18-55 WR lens, and 360FGZ Flash. I will be adding details in the Buy/Sell section.

Thanks Agian.
03-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I found a crazy sale this weekend so I bit the bullet and upgraded my K-7 to a K-5. Even at the $999 current price, that's 59% of it's starting price ($1699), which matches exactly what I got my K-7 for ($768, which was 59% of it's starting price of $1299, and the lowest official price of it's life-cycle IIRC).

When I got my K-7 I was soon envious of the K-5 a couple months later. I'm not likely to be keen on a 24MP APS-C, but if a K-5n or K-1 FF comes out...I'll probably wait until it's at 59%.