Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #1

Is this good time to upgrade from k7 to K5

Hi,

I have been using K7 for couple of years and after reading good things about K5 I wonder if it is worth upgrading to it. But, like many others, I wonder if we are close to getting a replacement for K5, and if it is worth waiting few months? Any advise/comments from experienced Pentaxians would be most welcome. Thanks.

02-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It depends how you look at it ! Some fantastic bargain K5s out there. You can expect the K5 replacement to be twice the price.
02-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think now would definitely be a good time. The K-5's IQ isn't going to get worse just because a successor will come out, and chances are that that $300 rebate will be cancelled sooner rather than later, so that once it goes out of production, the remaining new units will be quite expensive.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I say buy now. You'll never regret it!

02-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you just discovered the need for high ISO then upgrade now. 1K or so for that body is not bad. Otherwise, wait and see what comes down the pike.
02-29-2012, 06:35 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quite hard to pass up the current pricing. At $1,000 usd it is hard to beat. Best guess for a replacement would be announcement in September with delivery several months after. So maybe next Christmas?? And the replacement price will be at least $1,500 maybe higher. So I say get it now, and if the replacement is so good you have to have it then sell the k-5. You likely will not lose much, and might even make a bit if the k-5 price goes back up.
02-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I too was faced with this recently myself. I have the K-7, but its not what it should be in my opinion, I was waiting to see what would release in Feb, and with nothing decided I would bite the bullet and get the K-5 and I'm not disappointed only that I didn't get it sooner, as people say Its IQ is superb, and will not diminish, and the fact that currently at around 1k it's aa absolute bargin, I paid 1700 for my K-7 2-odd years ago, and any successor released will most likely be up around the 1700-2000 mark, and if it is a FF 2500plus in reality. So what I'm saying is NOW is a good time to get a cheap price on an excellent camera.

02-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Yes.

But not for me.

I haven't broken my K20D. Yet.
02-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been using my K20 for almost 3 years. During this time, I have been saving here and there for a replacement - just in case. The K20 has been doing wonderfully. I had considered the K5, and literally decided to bypass it and wait for the end of the next product cycle, before making a decision. I found with the K20 that if you acquire at the end of the model run, you can get a great camera at a great price.

I was able to pick up the K20 new at the very end of the model run as the K7 was announced for $650. I remember watching the K7 end its model run with a new price of around $750. So, I was estimating that the low for a new K5 maybe around $800 to $850.

In mid January, I happened to check my email before going off for the day and just happened to check the forum here and saw a post about K5 excellent pricing. Clicked on the link and saw that Samy's camera over in LA (an authorized Pentax dealer), was selling them for $750. I just picked up the phone and ordered - since I had already saved the cash. Now some have speculated that it was a pricing error. I asked when I called back to check on shipping and they would not say one way or another. I'll chalk it up to pure luck, timing and good fortune.

The only reason I was even considering the upgrade was that the K5 provided improved image quality & dynamic range in ambient low light / shadow conditions. I shoot almost exclusively in the evening and nights. So, there was definitely a reason to consider an upgrade.

Now the K20 is really an excellent camera - hopefully the K5 will perform just as well. I have a few weeks left on my 2 year extended warranty free cleaning and check out. I'll take it over to CRIS get it tuned up and then consider what I am going to do. It has been a really good and dependable friend - teaching me a lot.

02-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's a great camera.
02-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Yes.

But not for me.

I haven't broken my K20D. Yet.
RioRico makes a very valid point. "If it ain't Broke... Don't fix it!"

Thats why I didn't bother upgrading from My *istD, until it started having an imtermitant rear screen, Its still a stellar camera, even with this hassle every now and then, but I can see its on its last legs, My K-7 although a fine camera did not actually give as good an image as I can still get from my *istD. ( I actually believe it is subject to a SR/sensor skake issue when the shutter releases, I think it's falk that talks about it in his blog)
02-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I have K10d and K-7 as well, but I'm saving my moolah for some of those lenses on the roadmap for 2013. Either the short DA* zoom ... or the limited zoom ... or maybe a DA15 or maybe a DFA100WR.... need all the cabbage for the LBA!
03-01-2012, 11:47 AM   #13

Original Poster
Thank you all for your useful responses. I am new to the forum and been really impressed by how quick and helpful other members are.
I am persuaded to go ahead and buy K5. Now the next decison: Buy it new or used
03-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by tafzal Quote
Thank you all for your useful responses. I am new to the forum and been really impressed by how quick and helpful other members are.
I am persuaded to go ahead and buy K5. Now the next decison: Buy it new or used
I would suggest New
03-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #15

Just buy a new K5. It is very worthwhile now because of much lower price and decreased risk to get bad copies from the factory. And with a new one you have the whole guarantee period left. I would not hesitate a second! A fantastic camera really...