Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2012, 04:46 AM - 1 Like   #1
Inactive Account

K-5 astrophot settings

Hi guys!
First off, i learnt so much from this forum, good job everyone keeping it alive and the lens review sections is just of the charts!

Ive seen some realy, realy impressive pictures taken (wideangel) of the night sky and is realy looking forward to try it myself. Been without tripod for some 8 months but the new (semi-decent one) should arrive tomorrow i hope!

So off i will go this weekend, with the 16-45/4 at 16 using the 600/x formula to try it out, but i tought i better ask for some settings advice.

How do you guys arrange your camera settings? I Usualy shoot auto WB but know if i want to stack i better change that, but how about the noise setting? If my calculations is right 600 / my lens with cropfactor will give me 25 sec of exposure before getting the startrails.

Any tips and hints for the K-5 settings for wideangel astro would be appriciated!
Astrophoto realy triggers me, the beauty and the fantasies that awakens from it, hope i can produce something to share with your guys in due time. Living in finland, heavy lightpollution in this area but got cabin in "black" area of northen sweden i got high hopes for this

03-01-2012, 05:47 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So far I've just let the White Balance stay at auto & I have all noise reduction turned off. I'd rather decide afterwards whether I want any noise reduction on or off and not have the camera decide.

In any case, I figured that the stacking software might deal with that, although I am probably wrong about that. I'm still learning with my GPS unit as well.

I don't know whether aperture setting makes a lot of difference given that everything I'm photographing is at infinity in any case so depth of field isn't really an issue.

If your first photos aren't what you expect, don't let it worry you. I went into this with high hopes after seeing what others could do but I was disappointed at first. I forgot to realize that a lot of the sample photos displayed here are by people with a LOT of experience with Astrophotography.

Where I live I have to compete with light pollution from the entire Toronto area, but like you, I do have a couple of 'dark' areas. It's just rather cold to deal with them just now.
03-01-2012, 09:57 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter

You are playing in the digital realm now. Doesn't cost you 2 weeks after every batch of slides to correct any mistakes. So experiment as you see fit. There is a formula out there somewhere (Google is your friend) that will tell you what the max exposure would be to avoid star trails based on field of view and declination of subject. I would suggest leaving your WB on Daylight but I have forgotten to take it off AWB before to no ill effect. The number one thing to ensure you have nailed is focus - mind you, if you are doing UWA star work, this is less of a concern. If you can't find infinity at 16mm, you need to check your lens The K-5 is possibly the best astro camera out there due to its very low dark noise. I never bother with dark frames. Yes, some stacking software will do noise reduction although many prefer to do it themselves after the fact. Good luck !!

Jack
03-02-2012, 01:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
You are playing in the digital realm now. Doesn't cost you 2 weeks after every batch of slides to correct any mistakes. So experiment as you see fit....
The K-5 is possibly the best astro camera out there due to its very low dark noise. I never bother with dark frames. Yes, some stacking software will do noise reduction although many prefer to do it themselves after the fact. Good luck !!

Jack
Thank goodness for digital and it sounds like I made the right choice in trading my K20 & Nikon D80 for a K-5.

03-02-2012, 01:33 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice guys, posting some more general questions in the photographic technique section. Seems my clear-sky weekend is no more, might aswell do some more theory instead
03-02-2012, 06:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vanheden Quote
Thanks for the advice guys, posting some more general questions in the photographic technique section. Seems my clear-sky weekend is no more, might aswell do some more theory instead
One thing has never changed, we're STILL waiting for clear skies to turn all this theory into practice.