Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #1

There seem to be a lot of K-5s in the Marketplace

Just really making an observation. To me it seems a bit strange as it is still the top dog, so unless lots of people are changing system at the moment I don't quite understand why. Anyone got any theories?

03-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
my guess is that it's a good time for people who have always wanted to buy into a FF system to jump ship, since the prices on the d700 and 5d2 have fallen quite a bit as of late thanks to the d800 and 5d3 announcements.
03-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hard times and changing formats are the two leading contenders in my book.
03-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Ya, I've been looking at those ads, I get notified when they come as 'm looking at upgrading to a K-5. Most of them are so close to the current going price I'm not going to enquire about them, K-5s are quite affordable right now, new, out of the box, with full warranty. Saving $70 over new for a piece of used equipment, not going to happen. As for speculation about folks going FF... I'd really like that to come from the guys who are selling them, not speculation by FF lovers. The guys who've fessed up are going to different systems as far as I can tell, but not necessarily FF, as far as I can tell. The "new" D700 prices are still double the going rate for a K-5, for essentially an inferior sensor. Unless they are low light sports guys, there'd be no point. One guy told me he was going to a Sony System without specifying , another mentioned NEX. It's unlikely we'll ever know, unless they choose to tell us, and it's even more unlikely they are leaving for the same system or the same reason. People come and go all the time. As long as there are more people saying hello than goodbye and Pentax keeps increasing market share, of course we're going to lose a few. It's the overall that counts not the specific. And as far as losing people to FF, given the number of APS-c cameras purchased and the number of FF, that's statistically pretty unlikely.

Just as a person looking to upgrade, if I'm looking Nikon I'm looking D800. I don't see how the D700 is even a viable option at it's current price. 12 Mp ? My K-x is 12 Mp.

03-01-2012, 07:31 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Spring fever....people are restless, I notice this every year about this time. Looking to break out of winter doldrums and explore some new avenue of adventure. I used to do it too....until I got old and experienced from watching cows with their heads under the wire for the "greener grass" on the other side. We never know when it will strike us........Spring Fever! It's got to be better grass on the other side......unless you get your head hung in the wire.
Regards!
03-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Hard times and changing formats are the two leading contenders in my book.
There's also "gettin' while the gettin's good" which may be pushing some of the format changers. The K-5 is nearing the end of its "on the shelf" lifespan, and once a K-3 is announced, introduced and given a shakedown, the perceived value of the K-5 will drop like a rock.
03-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #7

Original Poster
It does interest me. There are a lot more K-5s than K-r or K-x from what I can see, not really sure why that would be. From a value perspective, over here in Australia I can get a new grey market (overseas) K-5 for ~$950 which is about the same it would cost to get a used one from the marketplace sent over here.

03-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Two reasons. For people moving upscale the Nikon D800 and new rumoured Canon are calling. For those who want everything Pentax is famous for (small size and weight, weather-sealing, ergonomics, IBIS) but with many innovations Pentax refuses to make, plus an even smaller package, the Olympus E-M5 is where it's at.
03-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
There's also "gettin' while the gettin's good" which may be pushing some of the format changers. The K-5 is nearing the end of its "on the shelf" lifespan, and once a K-3 is announced, introduced and given a shakedown, the perceived value of the K-5 will drop like a rock.
This is problematic...when you think of the D700...which won't drop like a rock. Pentax has a problem in value for resale, unfortunately. It's better than it was a couple of years back, I believe, but still not close to Nikon or Canon. I have a K20D plus my K5 and the K20D has more value as a backup than for resale, so I just keep it. This is a shame, someone could be putting the K20D to good use...it is an excellent camera.
Regards!
03-01-2012, 09:51 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
... The "new" D700 prices are still double the going rate for a K-5, for essentially an inferior sensor.
rofl.

QuoteQuote:
I don't see how the D700 is even a viable option at it's current price. 12 Mp ? My K-x is 12 Mp.
And that Nokia phone is 41MP! That makes it almost three times as good as the K-5, right?

03-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adpo Quote
my guess is that it's a good time for people who have always wanted to buy into a FF system to jump ship, since the prices on the d700 and 5d2 have fallen quite a bit as of late thanks to the d800 and 5d3 announcements.
I think this is it.
03-01-2012, 10:37 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smilesy Quote
It does interest me. There are a lot more K-5s than K-r or K-x from what I can see, not really sure why that would be. From a value perspective, over here in Australia I can get a new grey market (overseas) K-5 for ~$950 which is about the same it would cost to get a used one from the marketplace sent over here.

Smilesy, I just got a K-5 here in Australia with full CR Kennedy covered Warrenty and extended 3yrs plus an extra battery for 1235.00, as well as a two week lemon clause for direct instore swap if anything went wrong. By the time you get a grey for 950 then delivery and no Australian warrenty its not a great deal more to buy here for the security of having an Australian warrenty.

As to so many selling only they can truely answer, I think you'll find very few making the big swap to a FF system.
03-02-2012, 12:18 AM   #13

To be honest, the D700 prices haven't fallen that much. Even with today's $500 price drop and $2,199 MSRP, used D700s are still selling for between $1850 and 2k+.

I sold my K-5 because i was having issues shooting with a hotshoe mounted flash. When I had a flash mounted on camera, the camera would not focus properly and this was unacceptable. I then switched to a full frame Nikon D700 to take advantage of the better UWA lenses and wider field of view.

Though I currently own Nikon cameras, I am holding out hope that Pentax releases a competitive full frame camera.
03-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #14
nah

Personally, I am happy enough with my K-5 that I won't be buying current bodies going forward. Really, if you look at the 5D MK2 and the new 5D MK3, how much better can the MK3 be?

When I bought my K20D a few years back, it was around $1200. At the same time, I think the 31mm Ltd was around $800.

Now, the K20D is worth at MOST $400 and the 31mm Ltd is $1000 new, $850 used.
03-02-2012, 04:50 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
This is problematic...when you think of the D700...which won't drop like a rock. Pentax has a problem in value for resale, unfortunately. It's better than it was a couple of years back, I believe, but still not close to Nikon or Canon. I have a K20D plus my K5 and the K20D has more value as a backup than for resale, so I just keep it. This is a shame, someone could be putting the K20D to good use...it is an excellent camera.
Regards!
I usually sell my gear when I upgrade and I have been very satisfied with the prices I get for things. I tend to buy toward the end of the cycle, so for instance, I bought my K20 for about 650 dollars, used it for a year and sold it for 400 dollars. My K7 I bought for 700 dollars and sold for 450 after a couple of years use (probably could have gotten 500 for it, but I am not very patient).

The K5 has held value awfully well. At the same time, it is a mistake to compare Pentax APS-C to Nikon full frame resale prices. If you look at resale prices on a used D7000, you would find that they drop quite a bit -- particularly when/if Nikon releases a D8000.