Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jmg257 Quote
I would go right for the latest - no reason (so far!) not too.

i installed 1.13 after posting this, didn't see anything wierd.
Note the part I bolded above. I'm waiting (and I have 1.12 in my K-5). If you've got 1.12 downloaded why not use it and see. It'll only take a few extra minutes if nothing turns up - but if it does there's no going back with firmware on the K-5 from what I have read.

03-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #17
Veteran Member

i shall download 1.13 simply because 1.12 improved and changed the focussing and there was nothing pentax said about that, but it was there.
I said at the time, Pentax would not admit to things like this because it would be like admitting there was a problem in the first place.
Ive no idea if there could be further improvements but I will download for that alone.
Also, there are things like.... pressing reveiw button and pic not showing. Turn camera on and off, its fine again. So camera not too stable !
There could be fixes for this ! As I would see this being another area that its poss no one would admit too.
There could be nothing at all, other than what they say there is !
But lets face it... it cant be worse... but it could be better !
03-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
I've tried twice, but after formatting the card in the camera, it only shows DCIM, no root. What am I doing wrong? Copied to DCIM and it does not work.
Thanks!
03-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #19
Pentaxian

GoldenRGuy: When you see DCIM you are in root. Copy it there. You will see DCIM and the .bin file.

03-02-2012, 06:59 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

DCIM is not the root file, It need to be directly at the drive letter
03-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #21

Thanks! I'll try!
03-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #22

You guys are the best! It worked!! Now to see if it's better..

03-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #23

This seems to have sharpened my low light photos.. Is this possible? Took some pics 2 days ago at a party, and they were "blah". Just took a few in same light and really sharp at ISO 6400. Cool!!
03-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #24
Pentaxian

A focus improvement?
03-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
A focus improvement?
Default settings??? Maybe user has changed some settings, and after firmware update they were defaulted?!?
03-03-2012, 12:31 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Note the part I bolded above. I'm waiting (and I have 1.12 in my K-5). If you've got 1.12 downloaded why not use it and see. It'll only take a few extra minutes if nothing turns up - but if it does there's no going back with firmware on the K-5 from what I have read.
This is what I was thinking so I installed 1.12 for now. It´s a simple task so I can always update further later . Probably 1.13 is fine though.
03-03-2012, 01:08 AM   #27

I've updated my k5 to 1.13. Granted I'm a *beginner*, compared to previous 1.12, I seem to have noticed a slightly different behavior AF.S autofocus.
So now, in most cases, when I press the shutter button halfway, the focusing ring moves slightly beyond the point of focus, then back, and finally is placed on the optimal focus.
I speak of very fast small displacements, about a millimeter, however, seems to me that in AF.S - before - this "right-and-left" of the ring was not there, and the optimum focus was reached without this "vibration". This happens with my 18-55 and 55-300, not with 40ltd, using central focus point.
However, the end result is a perfect focus.
Have you noticed something similar after updating?
Thank you.

Last edited by samandal; 03-03-2012 at 01:24 AM.
03-03-2012, 03:13 AM   #28

Just updated, no restrictions with PK-Tether!
also 645D...

-Linus-

Last edited by -Linus-; 03-03-2012 at 03:24 AM.
03-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #29

Personally, compared with last week, the difference has been immense. The sensor has gone from 12MP to 16MP, and AF and DR have improved as well. That may, though, be due to the fact that I was using a K-x last week!

But seriously, Pentax seem to be refreshingly open when it comes to explaining the changes made by firmware. If you read the notes on their website, they even said sorry for the originally imperfect SDXC implementation! Any significant change would have been documented, but it is not. I guess that there may be correction details for newer lenses, but I really think this is just a minor bug fix. After all, the K-5 is current, so any new features or improvements could impact sales.

Also, I have to commend Pentax on the number of cameras they are still bothering to update the firmware on. Many other manufacturers drop all support the minute the last one gets sold. They may not be perfect, but at least they understand that satisfied users of older models are prospective upgrades, instead of switchers.

David
03-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by orangezorki Quote
Personally, compared with last week, the difference has been immense. The sensor has gone from 12MP to 16MP, and AF and DR have improved as well. That may, though, be due to the fact that I was using a K-x last week!

But seriously, Pentax seem to be refreshingly open when it comes to explaining the changes made by firmware. If you read the notes on their website, they even said sorry for the originally imperfect SDXC implementation! Any significant change would have been documented, but it is not. I guess that there may be correction details for newer lenses, but I really think this is just a minor bug fix. After all, the K-5 is current, so any new features or improvements could impact sales.

Also, I have to commend Pentax on the number of cameras they are still bothering to update the firmware on. Many other manufacturers drop all support the minute the last one gets sold. They may not be perfect, but at least they understand that satisfied users of older models are prospective upgrades, instead of switchers.

David
Congrats on the K-5 and yes, Pentax does a better job of legacy support than most. Some other makers are more detailed and open about the fixes in their firmware updates though. Still, I'd rather have ongoing support with limited revelations than no support.