Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #76
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RGold Quote
Improved AF??? No dis respect but some people experience the Placebo effect...
Agree, no change in AF on my end.

03-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #77
Den
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RGold Quote
Improved AF??? No dis respect but some people experience the Placebo effect...
Although I do not use auto focus as all my lenses are manual I would tend to agree with the above quote.

Wouldn't you think that Pentax would have stated that the update does in fact improve AF since it is such a major issue!!!?
03-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Circle Focus Point

The cross in your circle seems to be slightly above centre. Is that just an illusion or is there some other significance to it?
03-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #79
Pentaxian

Den: no. The last update fixed a bunch of flash exposure issues. There wasn't any mention.

03-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #80

Yes...my K5 autofocus seems not so good. Have to manually focus for th3 mean time. Hopefully Pentax can do something to improve this matter.
03-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Den Quote
Wouldn't you think that Pentax would have stated that the update does in fact improve AF since it is such a major issue!!!?
Pentax often does unannounced tweaks in it's firmware. Sometimes Pentax has even been known to release 'silent' firmware updates without any change to the version number at all...
03-11-2012, 01:55 AM   #82

QuoteOriginally posted by Glen Quote
The cross in your circle seems to be slightly above centre. Is that just an illusion or is there some other significance to it?
Glen - yes, it is off centre, as stated in the threads I took this info off - it depends on the sample you have. Sources here and here(post #15 in particular)

QuoteQuote:
Notice how it appears off centre. Quite likely most Pentax DSLRs are, but the actual placement is different for every sample. The AF sensor of my DS shifts upward, but the K-m downward. What I have found is that the actual spot meter placement is based on the AF sensor as well, not the focus screen. That means if the AF sensor of your camera shifts upward, so will the spot meter. This might not be obvious until you tried to pin point the exposure using the centre bracket and cannot make sense of the reading (because the spot meter is reading something else). This is where and how much my DS spot meter covered.

From PentaxForums.com: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/68431-what-point-d...#ixzz1onRi9tAm

03-11-2012, 03:23 AM   #83

Big Improvement.

Ive loaded firmware 1.13 and it made a good inprovement on the sharpness of my pictures and also low light focusing is much better and quicker
03-11-2012, 03:34 AM - 1 Like   #84
Pentaxian

[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-11-2013 at 07:38 AM. Reason: [deleted]
03-11-2012, 04:00 AM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Glen Quote
Most should be aligned correctly but there will be those
that are slightly off. Mine is central and ok. You can test your by putting a black dot on a white peice of paper and just see where it reacts your autofocus from.
03-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I've loaded 1.13 and still have to take the front cap off before taking pictures, otherwise the pictures get unacceptably dark. Darn you, Pentax! Cant you even make the most simple things right?
That's not true. You can still take pictures with the lens cap on, they'll just be on the dark side. Maybe Photo Shop will let you lighten them up.
03-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #87
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I've loaded 1.13 and still have to take the front cap off before taking pictures, otherwise the pictures get unacceptably dark. Darn you, Pentax! Cant you even make the most simple things right?
They look like perfect pictures of a black bear, lost in a thick wooded forest on a cloudy night and a slender moon. These, of course, are in mark contrast to the pictures taken of polar bears lost on the ice in a snowstorm.
03-12-2012, 12:50 AM   #88
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Den: no. The last update fixed a bunch of flash exposure issues. There wasn't any mention.
Also placebo. The flash overexposure issue is still not fixed in 1.13.
03-12-2012, 02:51 AM   #89

QuoteOriginally posted by Lage Quote
Also placebo. The flash overexposure issue is still not fixed in 1.13.
Maybe your serial number was excluded from the fix?
03-12-2012, 03:28 AM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
Well after the update, I walked quickly around the house testing focusing on items that were so dark I could hardly see them on the screen.
Only a couple of failures and they were objects with almost no contrast.
It was late at night when I installed it.

That was impossible before the update.

I'm really happy.
Interestingly I see a similar improvement with a K-7, updating to its latest (1.12). Something had changed in the focus algorithm. It is especially noticeable with the 35mm macro, which before would often miss locking in and would then annoyingly spin all the way to the end stop and back. Now you really have to really try to get it to do that. Even with a non-contrasty subject, where it doesn't have a chance, it seeks much faster than it used to with the prior firmware versions.