Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Upgrade from Canon T3

Hi everyone. I'm looking to upgrade my Canon T3 that I got as a gift. I've looked at the Canon7d, Nikon D7000, Sony A77 and the K-5. I thought that I had decided on the K-5 with the DA 18-135mm "kit" lens because of the image quality that I've seen and the weather sealing (which is very important to me) ... Then I read the "Thinking of switching from Nikon D300s"thread. After reading that thread, I had given up on the K-5, but after more research, I kept coming back to it. I have limited experience, but I need a camera to withstand the elements. I do a lot of hiking and mountain biking and I'd like to be able to bring a camera that can take an excellent picture (I don't care about video).

I have some concerns over lens selection and the recent takeover by Ricoh. Any advice from k-5 owners would be appreciated.

For anyone else who may have been put off by the D300 thread, maybe take a look at these links:

The Pentax K5 Digital Camera Review | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

Pentax K5 Photography by Jim Radcliffe

Jim.

03-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimkol Quote
Hi everyone. I'm looking to upgrade my Canon T3 that I got as a gift. I've looked at the Canon7d, Nikon D7000, Sony A77 and the K-5. I thought that I had decided on the K-5 with the DA 18-135mm "kit" lens because of the image quality that I've seen and the weather sealing (which is very important to me) ... Then I read the "Thinking of switching from Nikon D300s"thread. After reading that thread, I had given up on the K-5, but after more research, I kept coming back to it. I have limited experience, but I need a camera to withstand the elements. I do a lot of hiking and mountain biking and I'd like to be able to bring a camera that can take an excellent picture (I don't care about video).

I have some concerns over lens selection and the recent takeover by Ricoh. Any advice from k-5 owners would be appreciated.

For anyone else who may have been put off by the D300 thread, maybe take a look at these links:

The Pentax K5 Digital Camera Review | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

Pentax K5 Photography by Jim Radcliffe

Jim.
I'm curious why you have concerns over the acquisition by Ricoh. Ricoh seems to have inserted some much-needed vigor into the Pentax brand. Things are looking fairly cheery in Pentaxland.

What's the concern about lens selection?
03-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Forum Member

If the Canon T3 is the same as 550D, i have a little experience with that. I have been using a K5 since november. It's my first DSLR, and i really like it. Compared to the 550D, i find it easier to use, fits my hands better, more intuitive layout of buttons, and of course it feels so much more solid and well built than the Canon plastic. Build quality and perceived quality-wise, it's like comparing a toy to a piece of equipment someone use daily to earn their living. And if you slap a WR-lens on it, you can concentrate about taking pictures, and forget about everything else. I think thats what i like most about the K5; its just so hassle and worry-free. Even though i find my non-WR M 28 f2.8 stuck on there most of the time...

As for image quality, i don't really think you'll be able to see much difference in the two. What i noticed was that the Canon produced colors that were perhaps more...well, like an advertisement, while the K5 is more like the world really is. I like that, too. Other than that, in good light, you can take excellent pics with both cameras. At least my GF does with her Canon, and i sometimes manage to scrape something half decent together with my K5
I don't know about AF, but a german test apparently showed the K5 was the best in class in that department too, so i guess the point is that if you want something from CaNikon that compares to the K5, you have to pay twice the price. I think

Lenses: ebay has got a neverending supply of lenses for your soon-to-be K5. A lot of them is going to be manual focus and manual aperture,but they cost almost nothing, and are great! In addition, Ricoh is putting out new lenses the next couple of years, and there are a lot of existing Pentax-glass that i would love to have if i could afford it. Tamron and Sigma and Samyang all produce quality glass for Pentax, so i think, without knowing you, that you'll run out of money long before you run out of lensoptions.
03-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When you consider the size and weather sealing of the K5 compared to the others. I think it's a much easier decision to make. No worries on lenses and the change over to ownership by Ricoh in fact, all signs point to this change from Hoya to be a very positive development. You also have to consider that any lens EVER made for the Pentax K-mount will work on the K5. I hike extensively with my K5 and it's a good friend on the trail.

03-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Like people are saying, the Ricoh move was very positive. The K-5 is fantastic

As for lens selection, with portability in mind Pentax cant be beat with the limited primes selection (small, light, great IQ)

Otherwise there are some great weathersealed zooms
03-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. To morpho - The T3 is the Canadian equivalent of the 1100D... almost the lowest DSLR that Canon produces. I guess I just wanted some validation from experienced users for my decision. It's a big chunk of change for me and I don't want to regret my purchase, but I think I'll be picking up my K5 soon.

One more question - does auto-focus work with all older AF lenses?

Jim.
03-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
Forum Member

Thanks everyone. To morpho - The T3 is the Canadian equivalent of the 1100D... almost the lowest DSLR that Canon produces. I guess I just wanted some validation from experienced users for my decision. It's a big chunk of change for me and I don't want to regret my purchase, but I think I'll be picking up my K5 soon.

Jim.
I'm no authority on this, but yes, i think so!

EDIT: Have been fiddling a little with the 1100D too. Compared to the K5, its...well, it's not really comparable, although i've seen good images from that one too. I am sure you can take really good images with any DSLR, but again; build quality, ease of use( and i don't mean automode), ergonomics and perceived quality is in a totally different league.
03-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Jim.
Yes it does. Also with older MF lenses the camera can still auto-expose with wide-open aperture, or if you have a Pentax "A" lens/lens with electrical contacts the camera can auto-expose in all apertures.

Otherwise with MF lenses that do not have the contacts, you can use the "Green" button unique to Pentax which will allow you to get the camera to figure out the exposure. There is also "catch-in-focus" which allows you to turn the focus ring on a MF lens and the shutter clicks when the subject comes into focus. All of this without adapters (except for M42 lenses) and there are tons of lenses from now back to the 1950's that can be used

Aside from those perks, one of the other HUGE Pentax benefits that the other guys dont have is in-body image stabilization/anti-shake this means any lens you use, including vintage MF lenses gets the benefits

I prob didnt do the best job of explaining these but there are some pretty big perks unique to the brand.

Last edited by Deimos; 03-02-2012 at 01:13 PM.
03-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Jim.
Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart
03-05-2012, 05:10 AM   #10
Site Supporter

The K5 is a wonderful camera. Do not let others who claim the K5 is not good bother you. I moved from the K10D to the K20D then to the K7 and recently to the K5. It is a great difference between the K7 and the K5. I also use the DA*16-50 F2.8 as my main kit lens an the DA18-135WR as my holiday lens. Both are great lenses as I got good copies of both.

Ricoh's buying of Pentax is great as Hoya did not bother invest much in Pentax and we will see greater things to come under Ricoh.
02-24-2013, 03:03 AM   #11

How about upgrade Canon to Canon, Nikon to Nikon, coz if u have lenses collection u still can use it...
I have 1100D to and will go to 60D soon...
If upgrade innto 3 digits Canon will be the same, they said "you'll be upgrade the number only but not the feature..."
02-24-2013, 05:30 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sandysuwandi Quote
How about upgrade Canon to Canon, Nikon to Nikon, coz if u have lenses collection u still can use it...
I have 1100D to and will go to 60D soon...
If upgrade innto 3 digits Canon will be the same, they said "you'll be upgrade the number only but not the feature..."
You should check thread dates before posting. This thread is nearly a year old...
02-24-2013, 09:15 AM   #13
Forum Member

You should really go somewhere and handle the K-5.
Image quality wise Canon crop cameras dont stand a chance against it, trust me, I have had the oppurtunity to test it myself.
Your only concern should be lenses, but with the recent price increase in canon land Pentax has become even more interesting.