Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Usuqa Quote
I agree with you Ben, the k5 truly is an amazing camera and while I don't do anywhere near the crazy stuff you do I love the fact I can go for a walk in scotland without having to worry about if its going to rain or now and trying to hide my camera away.

I just watched your Cotton Carrier video, nice work btw and the carrier look's nice too .. I've done the odd bit of video stuff with the k5 (as a second/third camera long with gh2's) we are planning on making some short movie's (we are kinda new at it all) and I look forward to that.

The thing I love most about the k5 is not just its build quality and size, its the image quality from it..

As for a washable dslr, my wife spilt milk over my gx10 (k10d clone) with a non wr kit lens on it, I just washed it in the shower and both are fine lol.. I also left my gx10 in the boot of my car for days with nothing but a body cap on it. The body had acted as a moisture trap or something.. everything in the car was dry apart from the camera which was sitting there covered in water, I took the body cap of.. shoved a lens on and it was shooting away.

At my local camera club, We had a landscape photographer come in one day with his 5d mark2 and he was telling us how on one of his shoots a little splash of water killed his camera, lucky it was insured and he got a new one.. If that was me, there would be no way id get another one if it breaks that easy... pentax could have spoiled me but what's the point in getting a camera system that can't shoot next to a river without fear of it dying from a little splash?
We also had another guy (canon again) talking about his sport shooting and how he has to carry covers and all that crap to keep his camera dry... The best part though is when I took my k5 to my camera club, I was asked if it was digital and if pentax still made cameras :/
Thanks! The Cotton Carrier video was a super fun, totally spontaneous project. The carrier is great too. I absolutely love it. (Here's the vid for anyone who wants to know what we're talking about.)

As much as the K-5 is lacking in the video department, I still really like the images that come out of it, and the SR is just fabulous. The other weekend, I was shooting with the K-5 on an 8ft Kessler Crane,, from the back of a moving box truck. I was concerned that the footage was going to be too shaky, but it all look great. (Shooting with a crane from a moving vehicle is ridiculously fun too!) Also, almost all the footage in the Cotton Carrier was shot handheld, and sitting in the back of a pickup truck.

Good luck with your upcoming video projects! I've got a couple of things I'm working on that I'm pretty excited about myself. Stuff should start rolling out in a few weeks.

Glad to hear everyone else sharing all their stories of tough love!

03-12-2012, 01:45 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Merci

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Thanks! The Cotton Carrier video was a super fun, totally spontaneous project. The carrier is great too. I absolutely love it. (Here's the vid for anyone who wants to know what we're talking about.) ...

Glad to hear everyone else sharing all their stories of tough love!
Bonjour,

Thanks for sharing ... I have not come across this product in France, but it's great to know that it exists and works well!

Merci encore, J Frog
03-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing your stories, Ben! I just ordered a K-5 with an extended warranty from B&H, but now, I'm kind of regretting getting that extended warranty. It sounds like this camera will take whatever I decide to throw at it. Just gotta but a WR lens for it now...

But yeah, it's good to know that Pentax makes such durable products. In the first year of owning my K-x, it flew out of my camera bag (forgot to zip the darn thing up all the way) while I was spinning around during some Japanese folk dancing. It crashed onto the asphalt; fortunately, besides receiving a decent-sized scratch on the bottom of the camera, all that broke was the little hook that completely closes the battery door (it pops open juuuust a little). The camera is still working fine to this day.

Now, I'm looking forward to see what stories I can tell with the K-5!
03-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #34
Veteran Member

My K7 just got back from Antarctica with no issues at all, it never got that cold ( -5 deg C ) but found out my wife didn't head my advice of putting it in a plastic bag to climatize, left it in camera bag instead.
Had several trips in exposed inflatable between ship and shore and I don't own a WR lens.

My Kx has had a drunken drop at a new years onto concrete, casulaty was my M50 f2 which I used as it was my cheapest lens. Kx was 100% ok.

03-14-2012, 01:28 AM   #35

Great to read how durable the k5 is. They seem to stand up to almost any punishment we dish out. I broke my k5 3 weeks ago -no small feat given the punishment these things seem to take. However nothing would have survived being tossed out of a boat at 50km/h into the lake while photographing some waterskiing. I must say it survived better than both he boat & the photographer still holding it! Insurance company was impressed. The k5 is a fantastic camera & I never hesitated in replacing it with another k5.
03-14-2012, 01:47 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mamba909 Quote
Thanks for sharing your stories, Ben! I just ordered a K-5 with an extended warranty from B&H, but now, I'm kind of regretting getting that extended warranty. It sounds like this camera will take whatever I decide to throw at it. Just gotta but a WR lens for it now...

But yeah, it's good to know that Pentax makes such durable products. In the first year of owning my K-x, it flew out of my camera bag (forgot to zip the darn thing up all the way) while I was spinning around during some Japanese folk dancing. It crashed onto the asphalt; fortunately, besides receiving a decent-sized scratch on the bottom of the camera, all that broke was the little hook that completely closes the battery door (it pops open juuuust a little). The camera is still working fine to this day.

Now, I'm looking forward to see what stories I can tell with the K-5!
The extended warranty fron Pentax -2 additional yeas in the US- is only $19 and should be on everyone's list.
03-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The extended warranty fron Pentax -2 additional yeas in the US- is only $19 and should be on everyone's list.
Thanks for that info! I had no idea about that...
03-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mamba909 Quote
Thanks for that info! I had no idea about that...
You're welcome. All the sponsors here sell it, you just have to dig for it a bit on their websites.

03-16-2012, 07:15 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Skibrent Quote
Great to read how durable the k5 is. They seem to stand up to almost any punishment we dish out. I broke my k5 3 weeks ago -no small feat given the punishment these things seem to take. However nothing would have survived being tossed out of a boat at 50km/h into the lake while photographing some waterskiing. I must say it survived better than both he boat & the photographer still holding it! Insurance company was impressed. The k5 is a fantastic camera & I never hesitated in replacing it with another k5.
Ouch! Glad you were ok, and you're continuing your K-5 adventure. Sure would have been a good testimony if it had survived that!
03-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #40
Site Supporter

Tangle ... et oops

Bonjour,

I read just about all of this thread thinking "Boy, hope nothing like that even happens to me ..."

Well, it did, done that ... a "minor" fall off my home desk, bouncing off my knee and on to the carpet ... MERDE!

While putting my camera bag on the floor, its shoulder strap somehow entangled with the K-5 strap ... All was fine and could even find the slightest mark, etc. ... despite having a largish Tamron Adaptall-2 (44A) on the K-5. Didn't see whether the body or the lens took the floor impact.

Yes, it's a minor fall, but in those horrifying moments between the fall and my checking for possible damage, I said to myself, "Please, let it be indestructible, oh please, let it be indestructible" ...

Allez et salut, John le Frog
03-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #41

This is quite embarrasing, but I'll share anyway. I recently almost tested the durability of my wife's K5 and perhaps of her love of me too. I inadvertently left the K5 with the (heavy) Sigma 17-70 OS HSM on the roof of my car while buckling the kids in and heading off to Motorama in Detroit. I drove out of the garage, off the driveway, out of the neighborhood, to a local bank, retrieved money and continued an additional half mile down the road all the time without knowing what I had done. There were bumps and ramps and 5 or 6 turns already. At this point, I'm doing 45 mph and I hear and then see something flapping against the top of the rear window. I asked my son to look up over his head to see what piece of rubber is flapping up there and he says with urgency, "daddy, it's the strap from mommy's camera!". Completely puckered and I mean puckered, I begin to carefully slow down and put the left wheels onto the shoulder. Gingerly coming to a stop while still halfway on the road, I see the driver of the car in the right lane is waving and pointing to the top of my car. I recovered the camera without incident. I was shaking like a leaf and feeling like both the dumbest and luckiest person at the same time. It took hours of replaying the scene in my head to realize just how distracted I was to let it even happen. Had it not been freezing cold, I would have not been driving my 400 HP car so gingerly while it warmed up. Thankfully it was a Sunday morning and there weren't many witnesses to my near miss. Most importantly, I did confess when I came home that evening, but was happy to do so without my tail between my legs.
03-28-2012, 04:45 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Dude! Ain't it great to have angels watching over folks like us?!
03-29-2012, 07:05 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Well, I've just got back from the beach where I slipped and landed on my camera in a really unpleasant sludgy stream flowing out of a caravan park. The whole thing was submerged and came up dripping with slime. Quick rinse from my water bottle and a lens polish and I carried on shooting. The only damage is a scrape on the lens hood, and that's with my 80kg weight landing on it on top of fist sized rocks. Not bad at all I reckon.
03-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #44
Inactive Account

Great thread

People told me to buy a Canon 60D. I went with the K-5 based on image quality, build quality, and price. The 60D would never have survived half these stories, so I'm glad to know I made the right choice as far as durability. Of course the K-5 image quality is undisputed.

Still, I hope no one thinks I'm a wuss if I continue to treat my K-5 as if it were made of glass....
03-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ENicolas Quote
People told me to buy a Canon 60D. I went with the K-5 based on image quality, build quality, and price. The 60D would never have survived half these stories, so I'm glad to know I made the right choice as far as durability. Of course the K-5 image quality is undisputed.

Still, I hope no one thinks I'm a wuss if I continue to treat my K-5 as if it were made of glass....
A lot of it IS made of glass