Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2012, 02:00 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Yes, it's quite nice to have a camera that's "washable", isn't it? I've used the same tactics when shooting near saltwater spray. The bodies may be nearly waterproof, but saltwater or beer will sure gunk things up.
...Not to mention du Beurre Blanc, unfortunate for the Muscadet

03-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is a little tank isn't it.
03-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Used K5 Anyone??

Hmmm. Note to self...do not buy a used K5 from any of these people
03-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Awesome testimonial, Ben! Too bad I only have a K-x .

But someday.....

03-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Hmmm. Note to self...do not buy a used K5 from any of these people
New section needed in the Marketplace, "Did you make use of the Pentax WR features?"
03-10-2012, 06:59 PM   #21
Pentaxian

More seriously though, the testamonials in this thread are the exact reason I own my K-7, and it is terrific hearing from people who have put their cameras to the test. Keep it coming, its great to know that my camera will likely live through the relatively mundane abuse I put it through from time to time.
03-11-2012, 03:27 AM   #22

Naw! I love reading this stuff.
I was out in the drizzle taking photos the other day and was a little bit worried about it, I was obviously being ridiculous!
Love my K5!

03-11-2012, 05:29 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I agree with you Ben, the k5 truly is an amazing camera and while I don't do anywhere near the crazy stuff you do I love the fact I can go for a walk in scotland without having to worry about if its going to rain or now and trying to hide my camera away.

I just watched your Cotton Carrier video, nice work btw and the carrier look's nice too .. I've done the odd bit of video stuff with the k5 (as a second/third camera long with gh2's) we are planning on making some short movie's (we are kinda new at it all) and I look forward to that.

The thing I love most about the k5 is not just its build quality and size, its the image quality from it..

As for a washable dslr, my wife spilt milk over my gx10 (k10d clone) with a non wr kit lens on it, I just washed it in the shower and both are fine lol.. I also left my gx10 in the boot of my car for days with nothing but a body cap on it. The body had acted as a moisture trap or something.. everything in the car was dry apart from the camera which was sitting there covered in water, I took the body cap of.. shoved a lens on and it was shooting away.

At my local camera club, We had a landscape photographer come in one day with his 5d mark2 and he was telling us how on one of his shoots a little splash of water killed his camera, lucky it was insured and he got a new one.. If that was me, there would be no way id get another one if it breaks that easy... pentax could have spoiled me but what's the point in getting a camera system that can't shoot next to a river without fear of it dying from a little splash?
We also had another guy (canon again) talking about his sport shooting and how he has to carry covers and all that crap to keep his camera dry... The best part though is when I took my k5 to my camera club, I was asked if it was digital and if pentax still made cameras :/

Last edited by Usuqa; 03-11-2012 at 05:34 AM.
03-11-2012, 05:43 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good to hear this!
03-11-2012, 05:58 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Usuqa Quote
The best part though is when I took my k5 to my camera club, I was asked if it was digital and if pentax still made cameras :/
Now that is Sad with a capital 'S'.

You should have said that it uses film but has an instant developer and film scanner inside so you can review your photos.
03-11-2012, 07:02 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've dropped it hard twice. No problem.
I forgot it overnight in the car, and found it in the morning when it was still -20 C. It started directly with no problems at all.
03-11-2012, 07:18 AM   #27
Veteran Member

OK, so here's my story. Last June I was in the Bahamas on vacation and, of course, had my K-5 along with me. We were at a very rocky (i.e. boulders) beach and I decided to step from boulder to boulder to find the best view for a couple shots.

I stepped from one to another that was about 3 feet apart and my foot slipped and I fell about 3 feet down between the rocks and landed on my K-5 with DA18-135 attached. Before even checking myself for damage I checked out the camera and, except for a few minor scratches, it had survived intact. OTOH, there were quite a few people who saw my mishap and my pride was severely bruised.
03-11-2012, 10:07 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
OTOH, there were quite a few people who saw my mishap and my pride was severely bruised.
That damage may be irreparable.
03-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
OK, so here's my story. Last June I was in the Bahamas on vacation and, of course, had my K-5 along with me. We were at a very rocky (i.e. boulders) beach and I decided to step from boulder to boulder to find the best view for a couple shots.

I stepped from one to another that was about 3 feet apart and my foot slipped and I fell about 3 feet down between the rocks and landed on my K-5 with DA18-135 attached. Before even checking myself for damage I checked out the camera and, except for a few minor scratches, it had survived intact. OTOH, there were quite a few people who saw my mishap and my pride was severely bruised.
On the other hand, you could always have said to those people that you were sacrificing yourself to save your camera because your foot slipped when the rock moved.
03-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #30
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I let Otis borrow my K5 for a day to take into the Woods of Otis....and it was raining. I was petrified , but the only problem I had when I got it back was that his shots were so much better than mine. Nothing is Squirrel-proof in this world, so try this at home at your own risk!
Regards!