Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
03-31-2012, 05:07 AM   #46

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

For the other side of the story, one only needs to see what happens to a very expensive Canon with one tiny splash of water:
Canon EOS 5D Mark II 21.1MP Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) PARTS OR REPAIR AS-IS (827514783812) | eBay

03-31-2012, 06:44 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Skymist Quote
For the other side of the story, one only needs to see what happens to a very expensive Canon with one tiny splash of water:
Canon EOS 5D Mark II 21.1MP Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) PARTS OR REPAIR AS-IS (827514783812) | eBay
That's just sad. No repair, no exchange, just dump it to the highest bidder "as is".
03-31-2012, 10:11 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wah wah...
04-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Man the people bidding are clueless. sure it looks in good shape but replacing parts fried by water damage obviously was not worth it versus just replacing it. Add in it comes without any accessories. and bids are already at $370. DUMB

EDIT - seems he sells a lot of parts as is cameras. some poor sap paid $310 for a D5100 as is. This camera was dropped (cement floor) and the shutter stopped working.

04-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #50
Veteran Member

It is one reason why I chose Pentax. I fried the autofocus of a Nikon 6006 when it took a small hit from freak ocean wave.

I have dropped my K-5 on a rock just below the water in the Everglades and I picked it up and it kept going. Unfortunately my Sigma 500mm isn't weather resistant but I still use Pentax lenses.

Flickr: Andrew's Wildlife's Photostream

Contrary to what someone just wrote in the K-3 FF joke comments I hope the K-3 will use this sensor:

DxOMark - Sony A77, measurements and review of the world?s first 24 MPix APS-C camera
04-02-2012, 05:14 AM   #51
Veteran Member

I think it's a pretty good bet the real K3 will be that sensor Drew.

anyway the FF will be an LX-D not a K something (maybe if Adam hd shopped that to be the FF people would have been less upset)
04-02-2012, 05:41 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I can attest that the K-7 can take a similar hammering too.

04-02-2012, 06:52 PM - 2 Likes   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Latest from the field!

Here is a pic of my Pentax K-5, which is virtually encased in ice after a full day of being worn in my Cotton Carrier chest harness while skiing and shooting with Backpacker Magazine in the beautiful snow/graupel/freezing rain/wind mixture that we were blessed with all day.

(Worst sentence ever.)

It looked like it was in a waterproof housing, but one made if ice. It was iced over so badly that most of the buttons could no longer button, and the viewfinder could no longer view. But it just kept on shooting, no worries at all! And it's so nice skiing with a camera in the Cotton Carrier. Never in your way when you're skiing, and within a second's reach when you want to stop quick and be ready to shoot!

I love both of these things...
04-03-2012, 12:17 AM - 1 Like   #54
Pentaxian

Wow ... Great use of your K-5 + CC

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Latest from the field!

Here is a pic of my Pentax K-5, which is virtually encased in ice after a full day of being worn in my Cotton Carrier chest harness while skiing and shooting with Backpacker Magazine in the beautiful snow/graupel/freezing rain/wind mixture that we were blessed with all day. (...) I love both of these things...
Bonjour,

Very impressive and your post gives me lots of ideas for my next visit to a sky slope!

Merci et encore et salut, J Frog
04-03-2012, 04:21 AM - 4 Likes   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

Earlier this year, I photographed the annual Couta Boat race off Sorrento Victoria Australia. Together with camera men and women from Australian News Papers. I was on a small motorboat taking pictures of celebrities who participated in the race. It was only a small boat and there wasn't a lot of room on board. A woman reporter with her camera found herself sitting on the foredeck. I was aft in the open. As we darted from boat to boat to take pictures at one stage we were heading into the wind which resulted in some sea spray hitting us full on. When this happened the lady photographer up front quickly scrambled to cover her camera with a beach towel and everybody else ran for cover. Except yours truly carried on shooting with the K-5. I got some dirty looks from my fellow photographers with a stern reminder I should take better care of my gear. I normally would not do this but I couldn't help it, I ceremoniously poured a bit of water from my drink bottle over my cam with the remarks, "only get a bit of this salt water off". The looks on every bodies faces was priceless.

I took a pic of the lady photographer as she sat anxiously covering her expensive gear with the towel. (Taken through the windscreen of the boat).

Greetings

P.S. The guy with the raised hand in the photo below is John Bertrand who took the America's Cup Mug off the Americans in 1983.

Couta Boat: Couta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Schraubstock; 02-16-2013 at 01:50 AM.
04-03-2012, 06:12 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When I get my camera, I'm going to do something stupid to it just to see that look on my friends' faces. And hopefully take a picture of them.
04-03-2012, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #57

Hello.

Mine wasn't so severe as the stories I've read here, but I'll just share this with you.

I went to a friend's place for his birthday party one day, and I brought along my newly-bought K-5 with the *16-50. Needless to say, quite a few of my friends were surprised I bought another Pentax (as my previous K-x was stolen while on a trip), thinking that I would be take this opportunity to switch system. Anyway, we were in the kitchen and the conversation somehow drifted about camera models and their lenses, and I proudly said, "... you know, this K-5 is weather-resistant. But it's *not* water-proof. There is a difference." No doubt, my 'audience' was skeptical of my claim.

So being young and egoistic, I gambled. Never had I done this before, and I'm risking my brand-new, three-day-old K-5 and *16-50 to some claim I've not tested to be true. I went over to the sink, turned on the tap and rinsed my K-5. I made sure to let them witness the water flowing on top, the bottom, sides of the K-5 and even the front element of the lens. All of my friends gasped at what I am doing. (And frankly I couldn't believe that I'm doing this either). After showering my precious K-5, I turned to them, switched it on (while praying hard it still works, or else my new K-5 is a brick and my reputation will be thrashed), snapped a random picture and showed them the preview picture on the rear LCD screen. All was quiet and the looks on their faces was almost priceless. A few moments later after processing mentally what I have done, they applaud (either at the K-5's WR ability or at my foolishness, this I will never know) and they unanimously said that I have proved my point.

A few moments later after the hype of my little show died down, my friend - a Canon shooter - came up to me and said, "Wonderful act. A definite conversation starter and a great party trick."
04-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Calculus Quote
A few moments later after the hype of my little show died down, my friend - a Canon shooter - came up to me and said, "Wonderful act. A definite conversation starter and a great party trick."

Yeah, I hear all the time those "fancy" discussions about people that think they know things well.... it usually ends on their side with phrase "well... I am not an expert you know"
At my last job I have seen some photos made by Nikon worth sth like 5k Euros - crappy ones. Now I have seen at my new work canon 450 photos, also used more like a P&S camera. I hope that when the day after tomorrow I take my K5, I would not have to prove that is water resistant but if so - I would it making photos of the people watching it having a bath
04-04-2012, 02:19 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's snowing here in the UK (and it was 20 degrees last week - what's that all about) so I left my K-7 outside on a tripod doing a timelapse of my garden getting covered. It came in looking not entirely unlike Fullertonimages K-5, and is now being used in a warm office to take product shots for a website.
04-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Northern Soul Quote
It's snowing here in the UK (and it was 20 degrees last week - what's that all about) so I left my K-7 outside on a tripod doing a timelapse of my garden getting covered. It came in looking not entirely unlike Fullertonimages K-5, and is now being used in a warm office to take product shots for a website.
We're getting the same stuff here in Colorado! This past weekend was gorgeous, 82 degrees Fahrenheit, and I was kind of bummed, because as nice as it was, I was suppose to be going skiing monday and tuesday. Then I get up the mountain on monday, and it's 23 degrees, and snowing; head back up for the second day (yesterday), and it's still snowing, in the 20's F, and there's 8 inches of fresh powder. Supposed to be 65 degrees F today...