Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2012, 11:00 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 = Best "Expert Category" DSLR of 2011 - déclicphoto

Bonjour,

Just some positive FYI here ...

The French photo magazine, "déclicphoto", awarded the K-5 as the best "Expert Category" DSLR of 2011. Attached below is page 23 of the Jan/Feb 2012 issue.

Here's a rough-cut translation in case you cannot find your French/English dictionary:

" ... the Pentax K-5 is without a doubt the best expert reflex of the moment, notably for its very advanced weather-sealing and its magnificent build/fabrication. Concerning the sensor, it's the same as the one in the Nikon D7000, but improved by Pentax. Moreover, Pentax gives its flagship body an excellent quality/price ratio. ..."

Allez et faites des bonnes photos !!! J Frog

Attached Images

03-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

France really seems to be a good market for Pentax. The French like being different though
03-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K5 problems and lenses

John - I'm new to the forum and currently have a 645Nii that I am learning to shoot with and constantly persuading myself to keep it in spite of the fact that it shoots film (costly.) That said, I am considering a K5 as an additional camera, but have seen all sorts of issues on line about mirror problems, flash problems, etc. Have they worked out or do they plan to work these bugs out? I'm debating holding off getting the K5 til that is done.

As regards lenses, I understand there are "Limited" lenses for the K5, but most are short focal lengths as far as I know ... Are there any longer focal length zoom "Limited" lenses (like 24 - 300mm) for the K5 and, if yes, would they work on other Pentax bodies if I should decide to get a second, older pentax like the K20D?

Thanks,

Rich
03-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by uswrdm02 Quote
John - I'm new to the forum and currently have a 645Nii that I am learning to shoot with and constantly persuading myself to keep it in spite of the fact that it shoots film (costly.) That said, I am considering a K5 as an additional camera, but have seen all sorts of issues on line about mirror problems, flash problems, etc. Have they worked out or do they plan to work these bugs out? I'm debating holding off getting the K5 til that is done.

As regards lenses, I understand there are "Limited" lenses for the K5, but most are short focal lengths as far as I know ... Are there any longer focal length zoom "Limited" lenses (like 24 - 300mm) for the K5 and, if yes, would they work on other Pentax bodies if I should decide to get a second, older pentax like the K20D?

Thanks,

Rich
This gets discussed ad nauseum on this forum.

Most of the quality control issues with the K-5 have been worked out although I don't think that it has been definitive as to what production run(s) had higher results for the mirror-flopping defect. Some have said that the latest firmware upgrade has improved AF functioning. I shoot a lot of manual focussing, but I have never had a problem achieving quality AF when I wanted to use it. I do recommend updating to the latest firmware though. Personally I wouldn't give quality control issues another thought, but buying an extended USA warranty is worth easing your mind if you can get one. The official USA Pentax extended warranty for an additional 2 years of coverage plus a free cleaning and spec check costs about $20USD.

All the past and present K-mount lenses will work on all the K-mount cameras. There is talk of newer K-mount lenses that will only work on the K-01 camera, but I don't think that any have started production yet. There is a new 560mm tele lens that should be for sale later this year. I can't comment on the Limiteds because my wife would kill me.

03-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #5

Thanks,

Rich
"Limited" lenses are all prime lenses. For zoom lenses, you should check out the DA* 16-50/2.8, 50-135/2.8, 60-250/4. Also, DA 17-70, 18-135WR, 55-300, 18-250 (discontinued), 16-45/4 (discontinued). There are also plenty of third party lenses to choose from: Sigma 17-50/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8 and Tamron 17-50/2.8, 28-75/2.8, 70-200/2.8. There are so many good choices that you can't go wrong.
03-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Your K-5 questions, etc.

... Have they worked out or do they plan to work these bugs out? I'm debating holding off getting the K5 til that is done. ...
Bonsoir Rich,

I do not know if I can best answer your questions, but I can say that I have had zero problems with my K-5. I would suggest that you wander around this forum (plus maybe others, too) and read the various posts and user reviews. As for the lens, scan the "Lenses" section and maybe check out the the " DA* " lens line ... hope this helps.

Allez & bon courage, J

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 03-07-2012 at 01:17 PM.
03-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Cool breeze! Thanks for posting this John.

NaCl(despite all the nay-sayers, it seems that much of the professional press really likes the K-5)H2O
03-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

A good report for Pentax - and I agree with them for APS-C format cameras. Thanks for sharing.

03-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

John - thanks for posting that. Great to see/hear.

Rich - If the kinks haven't been ironed out of the K5 after nearly 2 years then they never will be. We hardly hear of any issues any more, certainly not above the industry standard, across all brands (around 5%), for cameras with a birth defect of some sort. You are also not going to find a top quality lens covering 28-300 (these are called consumer lenses and aren't so expensive), top quality zooms cover anywhere from x2 to maximum x4 (so e.g. 35-70mm or 17-70mm but usually x3 such as 50-135 / 50-150 / 16-50 and so on).

Last edited by Frogfish; 03-08-2012 at 04:41 AM.
03-08-2012, 02:12 AM   #10

Despite all you read in the forums, I have owned my K-5 for 15 months, taken 10,000 photographs, many at sea receiving while receiving rough treatment on a sailing yacht, without a glitch. I would not hesitate to buy another K-5 particularly as the price has dropped £300 since I bought mine!
04-12-2012, 12:12 AM   #11
KX5
Forum Member

I agree with Declic Photo.
In many ways, K5 is better than D7000 excepted in Video where Nikon is far ahead Pentax.
But you have to know where is your priority when you use a DSLR: for video or Photos?
For me K5 has more settings to process RAW& JPEG and it's a dream to handle it.
04-12-2012, 12:50 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ditto ...

QuoteOriginally posted by KX5 Quote
I agree with Declic Photo.
In many ways, K5 is better than D7000 excepted in Video where Nikon is far ahead Pentax.
But you have to know where is your priority when you use a DSLR: for video or Photos?
For me K5 has more settings to process RAW& JPEG and it's a dream to handle it.
Bonjour KX5,

I agree, too ... in that the video application(s) are really secondary to my photo needs ... it's a top-notch DSLR for me, not a camcorder. I shoot about 75% DNG and the rest in JPEG.

Salut, John
04-12-2012, 01:43 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Thanks for posting this! Like I said before, the Pentaxians visiting this forum are far more demanding of Pentax then others. I visit other photography forums too, and canikonyans generally don't think of the K5, and Pentax in general, as being inferior.
04-12-2012, 02:12 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Good to know ...

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Thanks for posting this! Like I said before, the Pentaxians visiting this forum are far more demanding of Pentax then others. I visit other photography forums too, and canikonyans generally don't think of the K5, and Pentax in general, as being inferior.
Bonjour Clavius,

Thanks for saying that the "Canikonyans" think well of the K-5 and Pentax ... because one can sometimes read much differing opinions on the matter. Refreshing ...

Allez et bonne journée, John le "Brown" Baudet du Poitou
04-12-2012, 04:58 AM   #15
Inactive Account

I completely agree with the French. K-5 is without a doubt, the best APS-C dslr ever made.