Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2012, 06:11 AM   #1

k5 vs 5Dmk2 autofocus

Hi,

I am a k5 owner but since the recent canon news (5Dmk3), I'm finally looking toward buying a fullframe 5Dmk2 (second hand) that are becoming more and more affordable now.

The main complaint I could read about the 5Dmk2 is its autofocus and I''m wondering up to which extent does the 5dmk2 can compare with a k5 autofocus.

Is it comparable, is the 5Dmk2 much faster (but so-called slow for a "pro" FF camera) or is the k5 faster (being a much recent product)?

Sorry to ask this here but I'm sure more people know teh 5Dmk2 here that people know teh k5 on a canon forum

Thanks

03-08-2012, 07:03 AM   #2
Forum Member

Not that i have a 5Dmk2, but what are you planning on photographing?
03-08-2012, 07:09 AM   #3
Forum Member

im not sure how fast but base on this website.. k5 is still better than 5dm2
and k5 is the winner between D800,D90,D700,60D,D5100,7D and D7000
Canon 5D Mark II vs Pentax K-5
03-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The main problem is the only reliable AF point on the 5DmkI and 5DmkII is the center AF point according to a few Canon friends who have had both (same AF system in both). So if you're doing portraits/weddings, you focus/recompose.

One time I was shooting w/ one of these friends and we were doing a sun flare shot for a model and he was asking if I had trouble focusing (K10D at the time IIRC with the old FA50/1.4 mounted to get the max flare)...I had no problems, but apparently he did :-)

That said, the AF points are smaller than Pentax's AF points which are a lot bigger than what your viewfinder indicates, so if you're using the 85/1.2 w/ narrow DOF, you'll have a better time hitting the eye than you would w/ a K-5.

You'll have to learn its quirks like most AF systems. Just be aware that most Canon owners will gripe about it, so it really is that bad. Canon's reputation for having great AF systems really comes from their 1D sports lineup...

03-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I switched from the 5D MKII last summer and can honestly say the difference in auto focus is nothing. Neither camera comes close to my old Nikon D300, particularly the 51pt 3D focus mode. Manual focus is another matter altogether, the 5D MKII with EG-s screen is the bees knees!
03-09-2012, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #6

I also switched last summer, both focus about the same. I cannot tell much differences in quality of the photos either. One thing that is different is the size and weight, the Canon is huge and heavy. Shooting weddings with the 28-70mm L series lens wore me out.
03-09-2012, 06:57 AM   #7

Original Poster
thanks for all the answers.

03-09-2012, 08:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mr.wizard Quote
I really like snap sort for getting quick facts on specs .. but you really can disregard their 'winners' since they tend to allocate spurious marks for certain features (e.g. video always gains big marks though some shooters never use it) !
03-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The K-5 surpasses the mk2 in pretty much every way possible. I dont know why you'd actually want one since you have a superior camera.
03-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
The K-5 surpasses the mk2 in pretty much every way possible. I dont know why you'd actually want one since you have a superior camera.
You mean apart from much lower noise at high ISO 1,815 ISO vs 1,162 ISO ? Or maybe it's the higher true resolution 21 MP vs 16 MP ? Or maybe you mean the significantly larger viewfinder of FF cameras that make manual focusing so much more enjoyable ? Or maybe you are a videographer and love the fact the 5DII supports 24p ? No ? Am I on the wrong track ? Then surely it must be the WA available for FF cameras without a lens that distorts the crap out of the edges ? Or the gorgeous low DoF without paying a massive amount for super fast lenses ?

Don't get me wrong, I have 2 K5s and absolutely love them, they are superb cameras, but I'm not blind to the obvious advantages that a FF, and in this case the 5DII, offer.
03-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
You mean apart from much lower noise at high ISO 1,815 ISO vs 1,162 ISO ? Or maybe it's the higher true resolution 21 MP vs 16 MP ? Or maybe you mean the significantly larger viewfinder of FF cameras that make manual focusing so much more enjoyable ? Or maybe you are a videographer and love the fact the 5DII supports 24p ? No ? Am I on the wrong track ? Then surely it must be the WA available for FF cameras without a lens that distorts the crap out of the edges ? Or the gorgeous low DoF without paying a massive amount for super fast lenses ?

Don't get me wrong, I have 2 K5s and absolutely love them, they are superb cameras, but I'm not blind to the obvious advantages that a FF, and in this case the 5DII, offer.
mmmmmm that sums it up nicely
Add K5 has ginormous focus points making it tricky
indeed for focussing fast glass in auto.
Its like comparing apples n oranges here !
03-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mr.wizard Quote
I wouldnt bother reading the site if they are claiming the K5 is better than the D700 lol.
Its not all about speed either. Accuracy is more important than speed.
The K5 is fast enough and not bad sensativity. But ! its sensors are huge in comparison to the D700.
In fact... if the OP is changing cameras just for focussing.... you need the D700 !
03-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
I know what the advantages are, I came from the 5d to the k-5. The K-5 is still the all round superior camera.

The K-5 has a MUCH nicer noise profile than the Mk2 btw so you do get less noise but its ugly noise on the Mk2 where as the K-5's is filmic and you dont mind it being there

Lenses in Pentax's range are much cheaper than canon so saying you need expensive lenses to get the DOF is moot.
03-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
I wouldnt bother reading the site if they are claiming the K5 is better than the D700 lol.
Its not all about speed either. Accuracy is more important than speed.
The K5 is fast enough and not bad sensativity. But ! its sensors are huge in comparison to the D700.
In fact... if the OP is changing cameras just for focussing.... you need the D700 !
I believe the multiple tests from the German and French sites regarding the AF has always referred to accuracy, not speed.
03-11-2012, 12:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
I know what the advantages are, I came from the 5d to the k-5. The K-5 is still the all round superior camera.

Lenses in Pentax's range are much cheaper than canon so saying you need expensive lenses to get the DOF is moot.
There is a world of difference between the 5d and 5dII - a massive difference, so to compare the 5d to the K5 is not relevant at all as far as noise / DR / colour depth is concerned. Let's go back to the 5dII shall we.

It is very misleading to say Pentax's range of lenses is cheaper too. Canon's range runs the whole gamut, from very cheap 50s to extremely expensive zooms / primes. You must compare like to like and in that respect there is no great difference. See here (from 2009 but any increases will be in step) : Pentax vs Canon lenses 2009