Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #1

Any in-built memory?

Hello,

Please let me prefix my post with this statement: I am a moron.

I took my new K-5 with me for a quick walk to the shops yesterday just in case there was something worth photographing. On the way back, there was a nice view down a street with the sun setting over a local landmark at the end of it - maybe not the shot of the century, but still a decent picture. I whipped out the camera and took a shot. Then I looked at the screen and saw the depressing message "No memory card". I've since put the card back in and taken other photos, so that shot is lost for good, but I wonder if there is a way to save that one perfect shot? I have seen that when shooting jpeg, you can then press the raw button to record the raw file to the card as well, and some cameras (perhaps more point and shoots) have some built in memory to store a few pictures when there isn't a memory card inserted.

So, is there a way to recover a photo taken without a card in the camera?

David

P.S. And yes, I am a moron!

03-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Keep an extra card handy!

I don't believe that the camera saves the image anywhere but on the card.

I do feel your pain. I carry a plastic sleeve with a 4gb memory card in my pocket for that very reason. It is pretty small and does not take up enough room to really worry about. I have had numerous instances where I have spaced out and left my card in the computer and walked out to take pictures. The day I showed up for my grandson's pre-school play with my camera, tripod and 200mm lens, but no memory card, was the day I put that extra memory card in my pocket. I ended up shooting pictures of that play on my cell phone camera and I don't ever want to have to do that again.

You would think that I would learn but I have pulled that memory card out and used it several times since then. Ah well, at least I still remember to show up for these things.
03-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Unfortunately, in a situation like that, there is no way to save the missed shot. Even if it were still in the buffer, when you open the card door to insert one, the camera shuts off, so the data would be lost entirely at that point.

I think we've all done this at least once, I know I have, so don't feel too bad.
03-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I imagine we've all done that at least once. I'd rather the camera not take the shot, than to take it and then tell you there's no memory card. But they didn't ask me.

03-08-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

We've all done it at least once. That is part of why I love the D-BG4 grip - the battery tray has a slot for an SD card! I keep an extra 8gb SanDisk Class 10 in there for just that purpose.
03-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

): I feel your pain.
03-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Yep - been there! Get into the habit of never putting the camera away, or even closing the slot door, without a card in there!
03-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Take a picture of your screen

03-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I might have done this a few times (like yesterday...). I always keep a spare card in the grip and a spare in my pocket now.
03-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #10

Some straps have a small wallet attached to carry spare SDHC cards. It's bailed me out more than once.
03-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I've done that too, once I even had a spare 4GB card in my wallet, so I whipped it out stuck it into the camera and got a "card fault" error Turns out the card was cracked from having been in my wallet so long.
03-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blind-bat Quote
Some straps have a small wallet attached to carry spare SDHC cards. It's bailed me out more than once.
I just lookrd and found that the old strap from one of the rear lens caps (probably a ZX30) has small pockets on each end that will just work for an SD card
03-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I've done that too, once I even had a spare 4GB card in my wallet, so I whipped it out stuck it into the camera and got a "card fault" error Turns out the card was cracked from having been in my wallet so long.
That one would hurt.

You need a backup plan for the backup plan.
03-09-2012, 06:40 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I imagine we've all done that at least once. I'd rather the camera not take the shot, than to take it and then tell you there's no memory card. But they didn't ask me.
Can that not be set in the menus?