Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2012, 06:24 AM   #1

Black&White with automodus

Hello guys, since I am trying to check out all functionalities of my brandnew K5 a couple of questions have risen. 1) Can it be that's impossible to shoot B&W-pictures while using the green mode? 2) Can it be that's impossible to use directly the miniatur-filter while taking a video/photo. -golive

03-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by golive Quote
Hello guys, since I am trying to check out all functionalities of my brandnew K5 a couple of questions have risen. 1) Can it be that's impossible to shoot B&W-pictures while using the green mode? 2) Can it be that's impossible to use directly the miniatur-filter while taking a video/photo. -golive
Iīm new to k-5 also so I donīt have a definite answer to question 2..

But to answer to your first question: YES and why would you even want to use the green mode? Use the P-mode if you want the camera to take control. Or use post prosessing..
03-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #3

What is the difference between P and green mode? On a P+S I'd guess that the camera would determine what type of shot you were taking, but without live view active, I can't see how the camera would tell.

David
03-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Program mode

QuoteOriginally posted by orangezorki Quote
What is the difference between P and green mode? On a P+S I'd guess that the camera would determine what type of shot you were taking, but without live view active, I can't see how the camera would tell.

David
Look in the manual for Program mode which is sometimes referred to as the Program Line. There are several different ways to bias Program mode, all of which still are fully automatic as far as exposure goes. For example, it can prioritize faster shutter speeds for if you are taking action pictures. You may want to consider using Program mode instead of green mode. With a little bit of knowledge about shutter speeds, apertures, and sensitivity, you can probably get better results from Program mode.

I actually don't use green or P mode often, but if I have to hand my camera over to someone to grab a shot I will switch it over to P mode.

03-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
Look in the manual for Program mode which is sometimes referred to as the Program Line. There are several different ways to bias Program mode, all of which still are fully automatic as far as exposure goes. For example, it can prioritize faster shutter speeds for if you are taking action pictures. You may want to consider using Program mode instead of green mode. With a little bit of knowledge about shutter speeds, apertures, and sensitivity, you can probably get better results from Program mode.

I actually don't use green or P mode often, but if I have to hand my camera over to someone to grab a shot I will switch it over to P mode.
Thanks for the answer - a much more polite and helpful one than the usual internet reply of RTFM, and yes, I should have RTFM, but I'm spoiled with the apple products I use. For what it's worth, I almost never use the different auto modes either. I'm usually an Aperture priority shooter, then at least I know that as long as the shutter isn't too slow or the ISO too high, I get the picture I want. The irony here is that making sure you get the shot you want with the fully auto modes actually requires more knowledge of the habits of the camera you are using!

David
03-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Pentax's P mode is pretty cool...they refer to it as Hyper-Program, because with a spin of the E-dials, you can be in hyper-Av or hyper-Tv (or do a Program shift). A quick press of the green button returns you to the P mode. With program shift, the exposure can be adjusted as a unit, or returned to the initlal P-line values by hitting the green button.

Exposure in Green mode is strictly set by the P-Line as Auto, and you can not do a ton of other cool things you may do in P, etc.