Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 waking up when power switch is turned to 'off'

Just a quick question, wondering if anyone's run into this issue and knows a way around it. I've had a problem for a while with my K-5 not turning off when I turn it off, but generally it just required turning it on then off again and that generally worked. Now it's actually started turning itself on after I've turned it off.

It'll be sat there with it's battery in, the power switch turned to 'off' and I'll hear something that sounds like the aperture adjusting itself and then the camera turns itself on and is fully functional, autofocus works, live view works, everything works fine, but it was supposed to be turned off.

I'm obviously at a loss as to what this could be. I had it serviced a few weeks ago for a fault with the mirror motor, and asked them to fix the shutter button fault (has no spring to it) too, which they didn't do. I mentioned the power off problem in the paperwork as well, and whether they've attempted to fix that I don't know. The mirror motor is fine now though.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

03-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just updated to firmware v1.13, dunno if it'll make a difference but we'll see. Also the red SD light came on when the camera turned itself on so perhaps it has something to do with the card? I formatted it before and after firmware update so perhaps that'll help.
03-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If the firmware update has no effect, you know it's a hardware issue (which I think it is). It sounds like a faulty switch, or a short somewhere on the board, or one of the leads connected to it. I think it will need servicing, it doesn't sound like something you can safely fix yourself. I'm just speculating though, without seeing it it's hard to be too sure.
03-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You don't by any chance have one of those cheap third-party battery grips attached to the camera? They have their own on/off switch and battery (obviously) and when such a grip is attached and active the switches on camera can sometimes behave differently than you might expect.

Also do you have the intervalometer switched on? Or is there an IR remote somewhere near your camera that is accidentally being pressed and switching your camera on? Or is your TV remote or some other IR emitter in your house activating your K-5?

The other possibility is that your K-5 has a virus or backdoor inserted by some intelligence agency who wants to monitor you Anything is possible nowadays.

03-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Or is there an IR remote somewhere near your camera that is accidentally being pressed and switching your camera on? Or is your TV remote or some other IR emitter in your house activating your K-5?
That thought crossed my mind, too, but if the power switch were behaving, it shouldn't have any effect if the camera is off. I didn't think of the grip though, interesting.
03-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I do have a cheap third party grip, but it wasn't attached to the camera when it was doing this, and my IR remote is packed away somewhere, so I highly doubt it could get a signal to the K-5. Sigh. I might just live with it, and take the battery out when it's not in use or something. It's not such a problem that it warrants not having the camera for a week or so, and I kinda need it now.

That said... What if I AM on MI5's most wanted list and they're coming to get me!? They'll have had a good view of my room whilst I was packing my CDs, perhaps they're just interested in my music tastes.
03-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
What if I AM on MI5's most wanted list
People with big camera's are by definition terrorists nowadays, so you probably are.

03-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
People with big camera's are by definition terrorists nowadays, so you probably are.
And I was always told the K5 was a small camera!