Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #1

K-5 compatibility with lenses

Hello, this is my first post and hopefully it won't be a redundant over post...

I have been looking on amazon @ the K-5. I currently have a sony a-55 which has poor low light quality and am looking for an upgrade. The entire time I have owned my A-55 I have struggled with finding lenses I want at a good price; so, when I started looking at the Pentax, used lens availability was of great importance. I look on Ebay and found tons of cheap pentax lens. Many of which are completely manual for focusing but I very rarely use auto focus anyway.
Just to make sure, will any Pentax lens work with the K-5?
I found a compatibility list at Pentax's website (Digital Camera Lenses - PENTAX Lenses - PENTAX Cameras) but it is contradictory to what I have previously read before. I once read that all pentax lenses work with curent pentax dslrs..

Im sorry if this is an over post I just would like to make sure.

If you don't mind, can you tell me if the following lenses, as examples, would be compatible:
Vintage DEITZ 55mm 1:4.5 80-200mm Macro Zoom
SMC Pentax FA 28-80mm
PENTAX 50MM F2 SMC PENTAX-A LENS

Thank You

03-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I cannot tell you about the deitz but the other two lenses are definitely compatible.
03-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Anything with the k mount will work on the k5. See our lens databases for exhaustive lens listings
03-11-2012, 06:31 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sethrw Quote
Hello, this is my first post and hopefully it won't be a redundant over post...

I have been looking on amazon @ the K-5. I currently have a sony a-55 which has poor low light quality and am looking for an upgrade. The entire time I have owned my A-55 I have struggled with finding lenses I want at a good price; so, when I started looking at the Pentax, used lens availability was of great importance. I look on Ebay and found tons of cheap pentax lens. Many of which are completely manual for focusing but I very rarely use auto focus anyway.
Just to make sure, will any Pentax lens work with the K-5?
I found a compatibility list at Pentax's website (Digital Camera Lenses - PENTAX Lenses - PENTAX Cameras) but it is contradictory to what I have previously read before. I once read that all pentax lenses work with curent pentax dslrs..

Im sorry if this is an over post I just would like to make sure.

If you don't mind, can you tell me if the following lenses, as examples, would be compatible:
Vintage DEITZ 55mm 1:4.5 80-200mm Macro Zoom
SMC Pentax FA 28-80mm
PENTAX 50MM F2 SMC PENTAX-A LENS

Thank You
The Deitz has a K mount (no electrical contacts), so you will have to shoot in manual metering with the green button. It takes one more moment so it can be hard to catch fast subjects, but it works. If you shoot wide open, you can also use aperture priority to get a way to expose automatically.

The 50mm has a KA mount (electronic contacts). Then all metering will work as usual, P, Tv, Av etc is available. Only focusing is manual, but the camera will meter focus for both the KA and the K mount lenses and indicate when you have correct focus both by flashing the focus points in the view finder and with a beep sound.

The FA lens is fully 100% compatible, auto focus, all exposure modes available.

It is also worth noticing that all lenses gives you shake reduction. Or rather, the K-5 gives you shake reduction with all lenses.

The forth option here would be an m42 (screw thread lens). It has the same registration distance (between lens and sensor) as the K mount. A simple adapter between m42 and K mount allow you to use all m42 lenses as well. Focus will work like for the K and KA mounts. The best exposure option is using aperture priority with closed down aperture, in which case you choose an aperture and the camera automatically measure the light and select an exposure time. There is mountains of m42 lenses out there.

03-11-2012, 07:25 AM   #5

Original Poster
A few more questions

Thank you for all of the help and quick responses. But i thought of a few more questions in my sleep:
1) is there a relatively good and CHEAP macro lens? (can be 100%manual)
2) Tamaron has an 18-200mm pentax lens. This sounds like it would be a nice primary lens but the cost is a little high. any alternatives? (Would be for more casual shooting so I would prefer the option for auto)

Once again thank you all for your help.
03-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

1) is there a relatively good and CHEAP macro lens? (can be 100%manual)
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/152336-cheap-macro-b...lose-work.html

QuoteQuote:
2) Tamaron has an 18-200mm pentax lens. This sounds like it would be a nice primary lens but the cost is a little high. any alternatives? (Would be for more casual shooting so I would prefer the option for auto)
The old DA18-250 or its Tamron twin are considered much better than the Tamron 18-200 -- they're no longer in production but are widely available used. NOT real cheap though. But I have a zillion lenses, and the DA18-250 is my basic lens -- all the rest are specialty items.

Truth is, you won't find a really good superzoom cheap. I've had an older Tamron AF 28-200 that wasn't bad nor costly, just not in the same optical league as the 18-250s. If you *must* keep to a small budget, then you can probably find (on eBay or maybe in the Marketplace here) an AF third-party 28-200 for well under US$100. It may be adequate. Good luck!
03-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If you're referring to the notes regarding DA17-70, DA18-135 and DA*55; those are compatible with all dSLRs but autofocus will not work on the K100D and earlier models; so they do work but manual focus only in that case (just like the lenses you mentioned in your opening post with the exception of the FA28-80).

You can find subjective reviews for a number of Pentax compatible lenses in the below links
Pentax Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Third-Party Lenses for Pentax - Pentax Lens Review Database
03-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Can you, or someone else, tell me very simply what I can and cannot do with an old Pentax lens such as my f/1.8 85mm (same vintage as my LX) on my K-5 because the Owners Manual is not clear to me. Obviously, no autofocus. Do any of the automatic programs work? And lastly, in full manual mode, how does one read the meter? Thank you for your time. If referring me to an existing explanation is easier, that would be fine.

03-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 3party Quote
Can you, or someone else, tell me very simply what I can and cannot do with an old Pentax lens such as my f/1.8 85mm (same vintage as my LX) on my K-5 because the Owners Manual is not clear to me. Obviously, no autofocus. Do any of the automatic programs work? And lastly, in full manual mode, how does one read the meter? Thank you for your time. If referring me to an existing explanation is easier, that would be fine.
If the lens is a SMC (K-series) or SMC-M (M-series), it can be used wide-open in any Auto metering mode (which will default to Av), or you can use the Green button in M mode for stop-down metering and exposures. Be sure to set USING APERTURE RING to ALLOWED. If it is SMC-A (A-series) it can be used in any Auto mode just like an F or FA or DA lens, but without autofocus.

I'm not sure with the K5, but on my K20D when I hit the Green button in M mode for a manual reading, the aperture (if an A-type lens) and shutter speed are shown in the top LCD panel, and those figures are set. Then I can accept that reading, or use an e-dial to adjust the exposure as needed before snapping the shutter.
03-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
If the lens is a SMC (K-series) or SMC-M (M-series), it can be used wide-open in any Auto metering mode (which will default to Av), or you can use the Green button in M mode for stop-down metering and exposures. Be sure to set USING APERTURE RING to ALLOWED. If it is SMC-A (A-series) it can be used in any Auto mode just like an F or FA or DA lens, but without autofocus.

I'm not sure with the K5, but on my K20D when I hit the Green button in M mode for a manual reading, the aperture (if an A-type lens) and shutter speed are shown in the top LCD panel, and those figures are set. Then I can accept that reading, or use an e-dial to adjust the exposure as needed before snapping the shutter.
In that sense, the K-5 works just like the K20D, but both the K-7 and the K-5 are much more consistent with how they meter with K lenses than K10D and K20D is.
03-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for all of your help! (:

I just placed my order on amazon for the pentax k-5 body, tamaron 18-55, and a Bower ttl flash! Im excited and can't wait until friday (Free two day shipping )

But I'm not going to add to many more smiley faces or exclamation marks but either way, thank you all for your help and you all guided me in making my decision not just because of the info on the lenses but also because Pentax has a great community of users on this forum! (last exclamation mark, I promise)
Thanks,
Seth