Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

K-5 flash, lenses, filters

I have a K-5 that I'm using with older accessories and I need to start replacing them. I think I will go with the Pentax AF-540, although the Metz flash also gets good reviews.Any preferences between these two flashes?
I plan on getting a wider angle zoom (Tokina 28-70 is my current lens plus an 80-400) but from what I've read the 16-50 has too many issues so I might wait on that. I'm hoping Pentax/Ricoh come out with a new lens in that zoom range. I eventually plan on getting the 60-250 but currently have my eye on the 50-135. I think it might be silly to get it if I eventually get the other two DA* lenses, but for some reason that lens intrigues me. Do you think it would be better just to get the Pentax 16-50 and the 60-250? I just thought maybe the 50-135 would be more useful to carry around and only use the 60-250 if I needed something with a long zoom. I've changed my mind so many times over the last few months, but I need to make a decision with some upcoming events that I need the flash and at least one of the lenses for. Also, it's been a long time since I've purchased filters. I will need a high quality filter for every day use to protect whichever lens I get. Which brand(s) do you like? I'm not sure if I should look at just the neutral filters or if the skylight or UV filters would be better. Any recommendations is appreciated.

03-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I had the Pentax 360 FGZ and then got the Metz 48-AF and thought the Metz was superior both in functionality and construction. I have not tried the 540, but given my past experience I would probably buy the Metz 58-AF2 over the Pentax 540. AS for the lenses, indeed, I would buy the 50-135 as my go to lens unless I know I'll need something longer, otherwise you are just lugging around extra weight. If you can only buy one, then obviously the 60-250 will give you more versatility. I don't know about the 16-50, I've read mixed reviews, but I've been using a lot of primes lately, perhaps the 15mm for all your wideangle needs and if you need more reach you can rely on your 28-70 or get a couple more primes to cover the intermediate focal distances.
As far as filters, I see no reason to buy a skylight or UV filter whatsoever, if you are looking to change a color cast, use the manual WB, if you are worried UV light contamination are going to ruin your photos, don't, your sensor comes with a cut filter that blocks UV and IR light, if you wish to protect the front element from scratches, use your hood all the time. Placing a cheap filter on your lens will degrade your image quality and if you are degrading your image quality for no discernable advantage it's a waste of money and time. Get yourself a good circular polarizer (be prepared to spend some money, don't put a cheap filter in front of your very expensive lens), if you are a landscape shooter, several ND filters and grad ND are a good investment as well. If you want to read up a bit more on filters there is a great article written by Thom Hogan here.
03-11-2012, 12:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Upgrade?

Hello Jool,
Another choice I can recommend highly for a wide-angle zoom is the DA16-45mm f/4.0 constant. Unless you absolutely HAVE to have the f/2.8 speed, this is a great wide zoom, sharp, good AF and a fun walk-around lens. It is long when extended and the included petal hood blocks the built-in flash partly, but I hardly ever use the built-in and it sounds like you don't, either.
They're somewhat over $400 US new and about $300 used. I "stole" one on eBay for $250 and couldn't be happier.
It would match up nicely with the DA 50-135mm and give you a 2-lens combo that covers a lot of focal range.
For filters and polarizers, my favorites are Marumi, then B + W, also Hoya. Here's the Marumi US distributor; Prepare for sticker shock!
http://stores.ebay.ca/OEC-Camera-Accessories/Filters-/_i.html?_fsub=595012&_...=p4634.c0.m322
If you always use a lens hood, you may get away without a UV/Skylight, but I don't like to risk it. I find good used Pentax brand skylight filters on eBay, clean' em up and there you go!
Good luck with the upgrade!
Ron
03-11-2012, 03:13 AM   #4

I own the 16-50 F/2.8 which i use on my K-5 pretty much the majority of the time. I shoot in low light most of the time and absolutely adore it.
Maybe that's just me? Haha.
The 70mm f/2.4 limited is next for me

03-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions. I saw in another thread a link to the upcoming lens lineup for Pentax and they list a 20-80 DA*. I wish it was a little wider, maybe down to a 17 or18mm, but I may wait for that one instead of getting the 16-50. I'm pretty set on the 50-150 for now. I also saw that Pentax is coming out with a 1.4 teleconverter, so I could get that and wait on the 60-250. I checked on the brands of filters that Ron recommended and the B+W are twice as much as the Hoya and Marumi. The two that I'm looking at are the Marumi DHG Super MC Lens Protect and the Hoya Clear Pro1 Digital MC filters. Has anyone tried either of these filters? I haven't placed the order for the 50-135 yet but plan on doing so this week along with a flash (which I haven't decided on). I hope I'm making the right decision in getting the 50-135.
03-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
extended warranty

I called Pentax and asked about extended warranties on their lenses but they don't offer them. B&H has two different plans by NEW - SageMax, $100 for a 3 year and $200 for a 5 year. Has anybody ever had these warranties and used them? Are they legitimate and of good reputation? I would only consider it because of the motor failures with the DA* lenses. I plan on getting the 50-135 this week and the 60-250 in the future. I will probably wait for the 20-80 to be released over getting the 16-50. Anyway, any information about this warranty company offered by B&H is appreciated.
03-13-2012, 04:42 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jool Quote
I have a K-5 that I'm using with older accessories and I need to start replacing them. I think I will go with the Pentax AF-540, although the Metz flash also gets good reviews.Any preferences between these two flashes?
I plan on getting a wider angle zoom (Tokina 28-70 is my current lens plus an 80-400) but from what I've read the 16-50 has too many issues so I might wait on that. I'm hoping Pentax/Ricoh come out with a new lens in that zoom range. I eventually plan on getting the 60-250 but currently have my eye on the 50-135. I think it might be silly to get it if I eventually get the other two DA* lenses, but for some reason that lens intrigues me. Do you think it would be better just to get the Pentax 16-50 and the 60-250? I just thought maybe the 50-135 would be more useful to carry around and only use the 60-250 if I needed something with a long zoom. I've changed my mind so many times over the last few months, but I need to make a decision with some upcoming events that I need the flash and at least one of the lenses for. Also, it's been a long time since I've purchased filters. I will need a high quality filter for every day use to protect whichever lens I get. Which brand(s) do you like? I'm not sure if I should look at just the neutral filters or if the skylight or UV filters would be better. Any recommendations is appreciated.
The 16-50 issue was a long time ago. I got mine around a year after those issues and am still using it. It is a great lens and you can consider the DA18-135 WR too, another great lens. This lens is my "kit" lens as I don't use the 18-55.

I use a Metz 58AF-1 as the price difference in Singapore was about SGD$50 cheaper.

What will you be shooting? Then you can think of the 50-135 or the 60-250. Think of what you want to shoot and see if the lens is enough for that.

For filters, I use B+W and Kenko Pro-1 Digital.

Cheers. . .