Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
Inactive Account

How good is the K-5?

This will be a very open question and I expect some interesting answers. At this point I am using a Nikon D300, 20 2.8d, 20-35 2.8d, 80-200 2.8 AF-S lens. I have read some about the K-5 and it looks great on paper but want to know about real use. I have been a working photographer for 30 some years, and still do a small amount of work but now do work for myself, outdoors for the most part. I am also looking at getting the K-01 so this is my reason for wanting more info on the K-5. I plan on selling all my Nikon gear, yes I know not the best idea, why not upgrade the Nikon. For one, the glass is so out of sight price wise and I am getting tired of the Nikon/Canon crap, I want to move pass all of that, try something different. I also have the Olympus epl-2 that I plan on selling. I like the olympus but find it not right for my needs, m4/3rds compaired to the APS size sensor.

So, how good is the K-5

03-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I only have three k-5s if that is any indication of what I think. It makes the lenses i no longer use because I don't like the quality of the image look really good. My Ltd, DA and sigma primes are beyond amazing.
The D300 has been around a long time so it is probably showing its age. I can't compare with your system other then I would be carting around a massive amount of weight.
03-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by exposed Quote

So, how good is the K-5
There is no answer to your question, which will likely only get a long list of opinions and vague comments. There are many such threads already :-)

You should look in the galleries for images, etc, or ask about specific features.
03-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
Pentaxian

[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-11-2013 at 07:37 AM. Reason: [deleted]
03-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

This might help:

Battle of the Flagships: Olympus E-5, Pentax K5, Canon 7D, Nikon D300s: Which is Better?
03-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In my hands the K-5 is a little too good - it allows me to think it can do anything, so I shoot in near-darkness or other unlikely times & places. It has limits, all cameras do, but they are far beyond what I am accustomed to. With its sealed body and a lens I can trust, weather is no longer an issue. Cold isn't either since it is rated to -10°C.. but in western Oregon that isn't an issue unless/until I get my snowshoes out!

I believe the D300 has the same sensor as Sony's A700; I really wanted one of those but the bulk was distressing. When Sony reinvented all its ergonomics, they lost my trust so I fled to Pentax, and the K-7 / K-5 body was just what I sought. The controls look similar to the D300 but in new places, so that learning curve is yours to scramble up . You still have your 14-bit raw images, and in two formats. Something similar to active D-lighting is inside if you want that, and battery life is very good, sounds similar enough. The K-5 has a movie mode decent enough for most of us, not a pro-level system but OK by me. I wanted a still camera with clips as an option, not a "movie SLR".

My favorite thing about the K-5 is its relatively compact size. I often say that it has more features per cubic inch than any advanced camera on the market. DxO likes it, owners and reviewers like it.. Pentax did great work on this camera. If you have a Pentax group near you it would be best to hold one to be sure it's what you can live with - you're more likely to find an owner than a store that carries these, sad to say! If not, most return policies are good ones so you'll never be stuck. It's hard to imagine not liking a K-5, but some people get set in their ways and refuse to accept a new way to accomplish the same thing.
03-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I thought the dxomark.com site made a strong case for the K-5. They benchmarked the camera at an overall score of 82 and this I believe is higher than any APS-C camera on the market even beating some FF cameras.

Personally, I think they can improve the autofocus but I make it work out in the field by capturing some fast moving subjects mainly with my Sigma 500mm F/4.5. I love the way the battery grip helps make it fit in my hands and I am happy to have it even without the battery.

03-11-2012, 09:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have a Canon 5D2, 7D and a K-5. The K-5 is far and away my favorite camera to shoot with and the one I reach for more than the others. I am working out some minor system details and may just switch everything over to K-5's. I mainly keep the Canon's around for wedding work. I have the 580 EX II flashes and they do the job. If the Metz 58 II units work out, there's no reason to stay with Canon at all...

But, I really like small solid cameras over big black blob cameras. Ditto on the lenses. So for me the K-5 is a pleasure. If you get turned on by huge cameras with giant lenses and big plastic battery grips, the K-5 isn't going to do a thing for you...
03-12-2012, 01:01 AM   #9

I Purchased my k-5 about 2 weeks ago, I started out with Nikon... moved to Canon... and finally thought I was happy with Sony... they all have their pros and cons ... when I decided to save for a new camera... (it took me 2 months) I had a lot of time to look at all the reviews ... not only that I spent a lot of time on flickr looking at images taken with the various offerings. For me staying with Sony was a worry due to the slt ...(sensor dust drives me nuts so another mirror that cant be cleaned that can affect images would do my head in) Canon and Nikon both have in lens stabilisation.. The lack of lenses for the Pentax is a worry but looking at examples taken with what is available I dont think I need to be too bothered...
I have read so many my camera brand is better than yours threads... and it is mostly down to personal choice... for me I feel I will be very happy with my pentax and it was the right choice.
03-12-2012, 01:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

To date, dxomark.com still rates the K-5 as the best performing APS-C camera out there, sensor wise. Only six digital cameras on the market outrank it - 4 medium format digitals and two full-frames - the D3X and D3s. The K-5's fundamentals as an image-maker remain pretty solid.
03-12-2012, 02:51 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Thanks ... merci

Bonjour,

Merci encore ... good info.

Salut, J Frog
03-12-2012, 03:05 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by exposed Quote
This will be a very open question and I expect some interesting answers. At this point I am using a Nikon D300, 20 2.8d, 20-35 2.8d, 80-200 2.8 AF-S lens. I have read some about the K-5 and it looks great on paper but want to know about real use. I have been a working photographer for 30 some years, and still do a small amount of work but now do work for myself, outdoors for the most part. I am also looking at getting the K-01 so this is my reason for wanting more info on the K-5. I plan on selling all my Nikon gear, yes I know not the best idea, why not upgrade the Nikon. For one, the glass is so out of sight price wise and I am getting tired of the Nikon/Canon crap, I want to move pass all of that, try something different. I also have the Olympus epl-2 that I plan on selling. I like the olympus but find it not right for my needs, m4/3rds compaired to the APS size sensor.

So, how good is the K-5
Well as many have stated, that is hard to answer.
I cant top your 30 years, just into my 11th but i hold the K-5 high. The sensor is very, very good and the sealing you dont even get for twice the price at "the others".

I mostly shoot in the wilderness of northen sweden. A place called "europes last wilderness" and for me the K-5 had all i was looking for, except a realy big viewfinder, that is just normal sized. Great weather sealing, and the battery is not bad either! I just today took some realy bad pictures from a shoot, pretty much just black, and started working on them. Just pulling the levers realy, i am no post-process guy at all, but managed to save them! That is pretty impressive to me! I can recomend it, it is a lot of camera for the money you put into it.
03-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I bought my K5 very soon after it came out. This was a very carefully considered choice. I have shot with many different Pentax cameras (DL, K10D, K20D) and Nikon cameras (D50, D80, D200.)

I took advantage of a local camera show to go hands-on with the K5, the Nikon D300s and D7000. I brought along my own SD cards, and shot lots of stills and video.

At the end of the day, I ruled out the D300s -- I didn't like the IQ of either the stills or video. I liked the D7000 IQ, but felt that the K5 had the edge in ergonomics and build quality. Also, as you've stated, Nikon lenses have crazy high prices.

But I wouldn't underestimate your current lenses. You would be hard-pressed to replace nice f/2.8 glass. There isn't a currently-available direct replacement for any of your lenses. To get f/2.8 you will need to go for the DA* zooms, which are reputed to be less reliable than other Pentax glass (SDM focussing system.) There is no direct Pentax replacement for an 80-200 f/2.8 either.

Given your current lenses, I would be tempted to look at a Nikon D7000 and adding Sigma lenses for what you feel is missing.
03-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

For me it is a love hate thing. The body is sublime but the lenses line-up could be better. There are plenty of anglers and boaters out there into photography, and Pentax is by far the class leading in WR body but practically non-existence when it comes to pancake primes.
03-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
What I come up with.

I spent the weekend thinking about what I would replace my Nikon for Pentax gear. Here is what I thought....

K-5 body
K-01 body
SMC Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM
SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED [IF] SDM

I would start out with this and as I need to gather more, would do so. Sure wish I could find the older SMC Pentax-FA* 80-200mm F2.8 ED [IF].

Thank you for all the answers, this is not an easy question or an easy thing for one to do. I have been a Nikon shooter for almost 40 years starting when I was in high school. With with Nikon D700 coming down in new and used price, I have thought of just getting it, but still thinking about it.

Again, thank you everyone.

Randy