Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yet another "Upgrading to a K-5 from a K-x" thread!

Yep just like the title reads, I ordered a K-5 body yesterday with some extra tax return $$$. Got it for $1069. I hope it is worth the extra money, I really love my K-x and it will be handed to my wife, she really is interested in learning photography and wants to start out with the K-x, I really don't know what I am more excited about-me getting the K-5, or her joining me in photography.
I took excellent care of the K-x and so that means she will be getting one that is in new condition. We are also going to always have the K-x on us especially for backup incase something happens to the K-5.
I know my way around DSLRs now so figuring out the new camera won't take me long. The main question I have is this- is the K-5 really worth the extra money? I see there are things that I can use on it like the weather resistance(even though I dont have any WR lenses) more resolution, more features. At this great price I feel I would be stupid to not jump on one now before the "new" models come out. I don't really care about full frame cameras (although I would take one if given to me) and I just couldn't wait for Pentax to made up their minds and come out with one, besides that I wouldn't want the "first run" model of a full frame anyways.
I am very happy with the IQ of the K-x and will actually enjoy the higher megapixels of the K-5. I am not impressed with the K-01 so |I feel the K-5 is the best bang for the buck at the moment.
Now that my wife is going to be getting into photography and will be using all the same lenses that I have in my bag, it will be a lot easier down the road when it comes to convincing her on getting new lenses because all our equipment will be shared.

03-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations but I think you made a mistake in your post.

What you really meant is that your wife is getting a new K-5.
03-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
Congratulations but I think you made a mistake in your post.

What you really meant is that your wife is getting a new K-5.
Ha Ha....too funny, lol, actually she has no clue as to what all the K-x does, let alone what the K-5 is capable of. What I really want to do is get her trained in Photography fast enough to the point where she will understand just what all the benifits are to using the K-5 are, then we will most likely be selling our K-x and getting her a K-5 or even a newer model. She will be happy just being able to use any of my lenses, she loves that K-x and that is the deal for getting me the K-5-----her getting the K-x.
Now........if she was knowledgeable in photography than all this would have been a different story, and she WOULD be getting the K-5 instead of me, lol.
03-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #4

i went through exactly the same emotions, but after only a couple of months of upgrading It is amazing how much more professional the k-5 seems, if i use the k-x immediatley after it feels like i'm holding a toy camera. It also offers much better IQ. Something that i find very helpful is the 'auto white balance'. On the k-5 it is fantastic, but with the k-x i felt the auto constantly made mistakes, therefore set WB manually before i started shooting. Also if i'm not shooting in manual, the k-5 has a Tav setting which will set ISO to suit your shutter speed and aperture. This is priceless in conditions where the light is changing quickly.
Seriously, they are a world apart.....ENJOY!

03-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please stop it! Now I want one too...
03-13-2012, 04:54 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Twarp Quote
Please stop it! Now I want one too...
Prices are good now. Please save to get one.
03-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
Forum Member

Noticed the price dropped to €739 at my favourite store. Just wait a little till the K-01 hits the shelves...

03-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #8

the magnesium body and the ability to add a battery grip alone is worth the extra bucks for me.
it simply feels so much better to handle a k5 than a kx, kx is too small in my taste, and no grip available in the market.
btw i upgraded from a white kx too!
03-14-2012, 01:29 AM   #9
Forum Member

Did you trade in your K-x then or do you keep it as a backup? A second DSLR as backup is probably a bit ott, and trading can save a buck or some, to use on extra batteries and a grip etc...
BTW, I have no problems handling the K-x except for some unplanned nose-bumping to the live view button once in a while (left eye viewer).