Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Mac users, what are you using for photo viewing?

Silkypix is deadly slow on Mac. I have used faststone image viewer on my PC and it's great, but they don't make a Mac vesion. What are Mac users doing to view their Pentax images? I use PSCS5 for development of raws, so that's not an issue... Thanks!

03-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lightroom 3.6 with the trial of Lightroom 4 also installed.

It does what I require.
03-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I use both Aperture 3 and PS Elelments 10 they are reasonably priced and work well together on a Mac. Aperture works with many plugins that add functionality as well.
03-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You know the thing that annoys the bananas out of me with Lightroom and Aperture is the file management. I HATE programs that force me to IMPORT my files before I can see them. That's what I like about Nikon View and Image Browser from Nikon and Canon, and Faststone Image Browser, they use your existing file structure as is.

Maybe I'll just keep using the PC for my Pentax images... Thanks for the suggestions though!

03-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
You know the thing that annoys the bananas out of me with Lightroom and Aperture is the file management. I HATE programs that force me to IMPORT my files before I can see them. That's what I like about Nikon View and Image Browser from Nikon and Canon, and Faststone Image Browser, they use your existing file structure as is.

Maybe I'll just keep using the PC for my Pentax images... Thanks for the suggestions though!
You can use Aperture and Lightroom with referenced masters.

Aperture 3 User Manual

If you simply want a viewer use GraphicConverter or Sequential.

Sequential 2 - Main
03-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote

Lightroom doesn't do anything to your folder structure. It just imports the details about your photos into it's database and creates previews. Any changes to your photos are only recorded in it's database and the revised photo is only written out when you decide to export it. Your underlying structure and all your photos are left alone unless you export and replace the original photo.

Apple Aperture on the other hand can operate in either way, importing all your photos into it's own database or using it in referenced mode as Boriscleto mentions.
03-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just for viewing?
Adobe Bridge, which you should also have, is very useful for a browse, or simply use the innate QuickView feature of OSX that will expand your images to screen size and allow you to scroll through your images using the arrow buttons.

03-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Just for viewing?
Adobe Bridge, which you should also have, is very useful for a browse
+1 for Bridge, particularly if you already use ACR (in PSCS5) for raw processing, and +2 if you use Bridge for importing/sorting your images.

Try this:
1) Select a bunch of images you wish to view
2) Press Spacebar (to view them full screen)
3) Use arrow keys to go through them
4) Click on a point to zoom in/out to 100% pixels on screen
5) Press the number keys (1, 2, etc) to give them "stars," or Delete to move them to the trash!

This is essentially a bare-bones way of using Bridge's Review mode (Cmd-B) without the "carousel" effect. Pretty nice way to go through a day's photos. And there's also an automatic slideshow option in Bridge as well (Cmd-L)...
03-12-2012, 05:18 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lightroom 3.6 and Aperture 3
03-12-2012, 05:50 AM   #10

For viewing only? I always did some color/contrast/white balance correction so I use Lightroom 3 then to view the finished picture I make a smaller version (JPEG - sRGB max 1000x1000 pixels) and put them into iPhoto for general viewing. The RAW (I use DNG for compatibility) files I keep in Lightroom for future modifications.

Indria.
03-12-2012, 07:12 AM   #11
Forum Member

I use Xee for viewing only. Free.
03-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pilgrimingvine Quote
Me too. Can display RAW and jpgs but I prefer 'Lyn' which works fine in the free version - for file management you need to stump up for the paid version.
03-12-2012, 08:41 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Aperture 3. Very pleased with it.
03-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pilgrimingvine Quote
Thanks for mentioning this, I've just tried it and even though I use Lightroom 3.6 for most stuff, this Xee program replaces the Mac Preview app quite well for images.
03-12-2012, 01:26 PM   #15
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
just another vote for Xee: a lightweight yet functional enough free software (though I don't see how it is K-5 related)