Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
Inactive Account

card slot spring is broken in K-5

Hi,
I have had 2 K-5s for quite awhile now. I know all about the tight fit of the cards with occasional struggles to get a card out. BUT, in 1 of my cameras, the last card would not go in. Once I was able to get it in, it would not come out. In fact, the local Wolf store was only able to get it out with a pair of tweezers. They said the spring was broken.

1. Will it still work to use the camera and just bring tweezers for the exchange?!
2. Is it worth it to send it off for repair ($350+ was the initial quote I got)? If repair - where would you recommend sending it?
3. If I were to just replace the K-5, is there something else besides the K-01 coming out soon enough muting the point of paying out for another K-5? I'm nervous about trying to replace it with a K-5. It would be my luck the next big thing would come out as soon as I got the replacement in my hands. The sale on K-5s makes me nervous about it more - or I should just be happy it is a lower price in March?!

What would you do? There are 2 of us, and we love the K-5. We have backups, but... (My backup is K20D and his is K2000)

Considering going hybrid with Canon for sharpness issues, but not sure if different lenses would be a big help or not. Another topic another day.

Faith

03-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You could get a large capacity SD card for the K-5 and just download the photos using the usb connection. The card would more or less be permanent but it would work fine.

Check the corner of the card, that little corner that appears cut off. Is it broken? On one of my SD cards that corner had broken inward and wouldn't push the spring release properly. I thought the camera was broken but it was just the card.

I'll leave the other questions to those more qualified to answer them.
03-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
Inactive Account

For $350 I would use tweezers and wait for a new model.
03-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whether you can put up with it I think depends on how often you change cards. If you never fill more than one card on a shoot then it is no big deal to leave the card in. You could use the usb cable and never take the card out, though that could be slower. Or use the tweezers when you need to. But if you are changing cards on site, I don't think I would put up with it. $350 seems a lot but new is over $1,000. Where did you get the quote from C.R.I.S or a local shop? You might try for a different quote.

The next big thing is indeed just around the corner. Unfortunately we do not know which corner. Rumors have run wild for months about replacements for both the k-r and the k-5 but nothing has been made official. Best guess is that a k-5 replacement will be announced in September with availability by end of year. But that is only a guess made by evaluating the rumor mill and reading tea leaves.

If it was me I think I would put up with it and wait until fall to see what is announced. Unless you count on it for work in which case, get it repaired. Not worth losing a gig over if it fails all the way.

03-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Christ ! Ive only just finnished reading about a guys buttons falling off lol
03-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Whether you can put up with it I think depends on how often you change cards. If you never fill more than one card on a shoot then it is no big deal to leave the card in. You could use the usb cable and never take the card out, though that could be slower. Or use the tweezers when you need to. But if you are changing cards on site, I don't think I would put up with it. $350 seems a lot but new is over $1,000. Where did you get the quote from C.R.I.S or a local shop? You might try for a different quote.

The next big thing is indeed just around the corner. Unfortunately we do not know which corner. Rumors have run wild for months about replacements for both the k-r and the k-5 but nothing has been made official. Best guess is that a k-5 replacement will be announced in September with availability by end of year. But that is only a guess made by evaluating the rumor mill and reading tea leaves.

If it was me I think I would put up with it and wait until fall to see what is announced. Unless you count on it for work in which case, get it repaired. Not worth losing a gig over if it fails all the way.
+1 to the above. Another thought is Eric, don't know if he does dSLRs honestly but all the work he does is excellent quality at a very reasonable price. He's in TN and has LOTS of very happy customers, including me.
03-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
You could get a large capacity SD card for the K-5 and just download the photos using the usb connection. The card would more or less be permanent but it would work fine.
+1 on this when that works.
03-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
That's what I do. (Even though there are nothing wrong with the camera.)

03-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Best tweezers are often purchased at chemists in Australia - you call them drug stores but I have a great pair of tweezer pluckers that get a very strong grip.
03-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Did you get the extended warranty Pentax offers? It cost $20. The repair would be made for the price of shipping up to three years from the date of purchase.