Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Can I Do This?

Hello All,
I want to buy a K-5, but right now I can only afford it from Prodigital 2000 . Can I buy the K-5 from there but get the extended warranty from Adorama for $20 just as long they are both purchased on the same day? Would you buy a K-5 from Prodigital 2000?

03-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
>Would you buy a K-5 from Prodigital 2000?

No.
03-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

First item - Would I buy through Prodigital 2000? Yes. I've purchased lenses from them, they've all been fine (not gray market), so the camrea body should not be any different.
Second item - You should be able to purchase the Pentax Extended Warranty from any authorized Pentax dealer, this should not be an issue.

One other thought - you can contact Adorama and see if they'll price match Prodigital's price. If the difference is not huge, I'm sure Adorama would love to sell you the camera, the warranty and any other accessories you may require. Never hurts to ask. My experience with Adorama (and B&H) is that the customer comes first.
03-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The extended warranty should still work, and the camera will come with the same warranty. The only thing you might be sacrificing is the return policy.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i purchased a camera from them about 4 years ago...the camera was defective and they went out of their way to get me another and pay for return...not sure if they are still that way but i was very pleased at the time
03-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by V'cuz Quote
Hello All,
I want to buy a K-5, but right now I can only afford it from Prodigital 2000 . Can I buy the K-5 from there but get the extended warranty from Adorama for $20 just as long they are both purchased on the same day? Would you buy a K-5 from Prodigital 2000?
Yes, I bought my K-5 from Prodigital2000 a year ago. It's been great — not a single issue.

Back when I bought my camera I kind of checked into the extended warranty thing, but according to my research the extended warranty only works for cameras purchased within the US. Maybe they've changed their policy since then...
03-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Yes, I bought my K-5 from Prodigital2000 a year ago. It's been great — not a single issue.

Back when I bought my camera I kind of checked into the extended warranty thing, but according to my research the extended warranty only works for cameras purchased within the US. Maybe they've changed their policy since then...
That was my impression too when we went through a lengthy thread on extended warranties back in December.

Which is why david94903's suggestion is a really good one. Don't forget B&H either if Adorama says no.

03-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Pro Digital is in Canada, so if they are getting their gear from Pentax Canada, it will come with a 2 year international warranty already. I don't know if this obviates the need for the additional one or not.
03-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Pro Digital is in Canada, so if they are getting their gear from Pentax Canada, it will come with a 2 year international warranty already. I don't know if this obviates the need for the additional one or not.
Pentax USA won't service it and will require it be packaged off to Canada.
03-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #10
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
First item - Would I buy through Prodigital 2000? Yes. I've purchased lenses from them, they've all been fine (not gray market), so the camrea body should not be any different.
Second item - You should be able to purchase the Pentax Extended Warranty from any authorized Pentax dealer, this should not be an issue.

One other thought - you can contact Adorama and see if they'll price match Prodigital's price. If the difference is not huge, I'm sure Adorama would love to sell you the camera, the warranty and any other accessories you may require. Never hurts to ask. My experience with Adorama (and B&H) is that the customer comes first.
We wouldn't be able to consider price matching to the company mentioned as we tend to check out trusted review sites when making such a decision - but you could certainly buy a warranty from us as a separate item.
03-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Interesting, considering it is an international warranty.
03-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting, considering it is an international warranty.
That is what we call "Free Trade" !!

JP
03-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

It's actually only a 1 year international warranty. It's 2 years for Canadian residents.

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
This is not what I have been told by Pentax USA. They told me that they service international warranty requests.
03-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I bought a D-FA 100mm f2.8 WR from them without issue a few years ago when it was first released. No issues with them or the lens, but I do remember getting hit with a currency conversion fee. Anyone else in the USA experience that? Maybe it was my particular credit card at the time...
03-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
.........This is not what I have been told by Pentax USA. They told me that they service international warranty requests.
I haven't had to deal with it but I have read several reports here of such problems and the need to ship back to the original seller to act as an intermediary for the Canadian service under the warranty. PentaxImaging has been known to say a lot of things - like they told me there was no such part as a -3 Diopter for K frame cameras.........