Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Camera strap moving meter pattern lever?

I usually shoot manual with the meter set to spot. Occassionally I'll get a reading that makes no sense, then look down to find the selector lever in the center weighted averaging position. I think it may be getting pulled by the camera strap when I have a heavy lens mounted. Has anyone else had that problem?

03-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Never. Are you using a non-standard strap, or does the switch feel very loose?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm using the strap that came with the camera. I can make it do it if it goes from slack to taught fairly quickly. (manipulating the strap) I looked into the possiblity that I might have moved it with my left hand when shooting vertical, but it rests there away from the lever. And the switch doesn't feel loose at all.
03-14-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c a sugg Quote
I usually shoot manual with the meter set to spot. Occassionally I'll get a reading that makes no sense, then look down to find the selector lever in the center weighted averaging position. I think it may be getting pulled by the camera strap when I have a heavy lens mounted. Has anyone else had that problem?
I do that too !!

I get out there, take 50 to 100 shots thinking all will be fine until I get home to view the pics on the computer .... only to find out that my shots are all improperly exposed .... check the lever: sure enough! It has been moved to centre weighted avg position !!!

For my part, I don't even know how this happens but I think your suggestion of the strap hitting the lever would be a possible cause.

JP

03-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the OP/Tech Pro Strap and so far have not had this problem.
03-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c a sugg Quote
Has anyone else had that problem?
Nope, but my K20 lever got moved when taking it from the bag, I guess. Stuck on spot meter for 2 days...luckily most things in the desert are mid-toned.
03-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Go with a Black Rapid strap and never look back.

03-15-2012, 01:02 AM   #8

Just checked and my meter position was set to centre weighted, I had set it to matrix, and yes I use the standard strap.
Well spotted!

Paul
03-15-2012, 06:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I've never had this problem using the standard strap. My meter lever is quite stiff too, so stiff that I wont be able to turn it on winter days if my hands are cold and dry, but I like it that way.
03-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Wouldn't you notice exposure errors in the image review? I use the "blinkies" for this to get a quick feel for exposure.

Oh, and I've never noticed my strap moving the metering switch.
03-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, this happens occasionally on my K-5. But the nature of the beast means I just have to tweak any exposure errors in PP and the problem disappears.