Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2012, 09:19 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by frstep Quote
So it appears that since it is an AF camera, Pentax not only feel that the factory screen does not need to be useful to manual focusing needs, but they don't even need to make the calibration of the screen particularly good. I wonder how much of the problem people have with manual focusing is down to this?
I came to the same conclusion - not just about Pentax, but all dSLRs. Back in manual focus days (film) the focus screen was located with adjustable set-screws (3 on the Pentax SV) and was precisely set during assembly. Shims will always be an approximation - but when everybody uses autofocus (which doesn't use the viewfinder screen) all they want from the screen is a bright and clear-looking image for composition; and if it looks like the subject is in focus they are more happy with the autofocus system. So a more exacting screen - that shows slight focus error with a fast lens - would likely bring more complaints about autofocus when people could instantly see it was off.

12-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I use an ee-s type focusing screen from focusingscreens.com
It is absolutely the best $90 i have spent with regards to photography! It is worth it's weight in gold when using fast lenses. And by fast I mean f1.2-2.0 lenses, not f2.8 and smaller.