Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Just picked up

Hi all,

I've been on and of this site with older style cameras but today i just picked up a brand new K5 and can't wait to get using it. is there any tips you can pass on about the K5 i would love to hear from you.

03-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
TAv mode is your friend. Keep the shutter speed high and have fun! Pick up some old manual glass and play around, you'll enjoy it.
03-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Congratulations! There are many good threads on the forum about setting up the K5. Here's one:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/121628-setting-up-new-k5.html

Make sure you upgrade your Firmware to 1.13 and that your battery is fully charged when you do so.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/news/new-firmware-released-1-13.html
03-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i agree with ter-or...can't live without tav but be aware if your iso because even if it can go high you pay a price for it...don't know what others feel but i prefer not to go above 2k unless i have to

03-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Enjoy the new camera my friend.
03-16-2012, 10:30 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Great choice there

Bonjour,

Congratulations and you'll love it ... TAv is great, but all out M is really fun for me. Do find some manual glass and do not worry too much about getting "fast" lenses. The K-5's sensor works wonders with my M 75-150 f4 ... just bump up the ISO a bit and shoot away.

Allez and keep us updated on your impressions - salut John le Frog

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 03-16-2012 at 01:46 PM.
03-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Another source ... from PF

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Congratulations! There are many good threads on the forum about setting up the K5. Here's one:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/121628-setting-up-new-k5.html
Re-bonjour,

Here's another link : Pentax K-5 Review - Walkthrough - PentaxForums.com

There's a "recommended settings" subsection, etc. ...

A+, J

03-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poitiers Quote
Re-bonjour,

Here's another link : Pentax K-5 Review - Walkthrough - PentaxForums.com

There's a "recommended settings" subsection, etc. ...

A+, J
Une excellente trouvaille, beaucoup mieux que la mienne!
03-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Une excellente trouvaille, beaucoup mieux que la mienne!
J'ai une bonne mémoire quelquefois ...

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 03-16-2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Merci
03-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've bought old lenses (and entire camera collections) from older folks who are pretty much just happy to get their gear into an enthusiast's hands. Most aren't great on today's equipment - the resolution of the K5 sensor doesn't allow any flaws to hide. Occasionally you find a real winner, though. I've been impressed with an old M50 f2 and a 500mm Vivitar T-mount from 1970. The 50mm is super-easy to use (and has great color), the 500mm tele - not so much but it has great optics. The way these old lenses are built really makes one look askance at newer lenses.

When you have the time to devote to it, there's no better way to learn a camera than with a full-manual lens.
03-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I've bought old lenses (and entire camera collections) from older folks who are pretty much just happy to get their gear into an enthusiast's hands. Most aren't great on today's equipment - the resolution of the K5 sensor doesn't allow any flaws to hide. Occasionally you find a real winner, though. I've been impressed with an old M50 f2 and a 500mm Vivitar T-mount from 1970. The 50mm is super-easy to use (and has great color), the 500mm tele - not so much but it has great optics. The way these old lenses are built really makes one look askance at newer lenses.

When you have the time to devote to it, there's no better way to learn a camera than with a full-manual lens.
That is so true, I have the K-x and just got my K-5 last night and it was only the body, ya I have the kit lenses from the K-x but I didn't even touch them yet, instead I started going through all my old lenses and trying them out on the K-5, they are fun to work with. Ya I will probably get some new WR lenses for general walk around lenses but I rather use my old lenses I got on the cheap, and even still they are really nice lenses.
My wife is using the kit lenses to learn with at the moment but she is starting to eyeball my manual lenses.
03-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I'm now going to show how computer savy i'm not, how do i do a firm ware update? is there a guide? I have downloaded the update from pentax but it dosn't want to open any advice please.
03-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Snaphappyscottiedog Quote
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I'm now going to show how computer savy i'm not, how do i do a firm ware update? is there a guide? I have downloaded the update from pentax but it dosn't want to open any advice please.
From the forum announcement:

In order to upgrade your Pentax DSLR firmware, follow these simple steps:
Download the firmware ZIP file using the links above (The "Mac version" is simply a ZIP file, wheras the Windows version is a self-extracting .exe file.* We recommend just using the "Mac version" regardless of your OS)
Unzip the zip file to a folder of your choosing
Locate the extracted .BIN file and copy it to the root of a formatted SD card
Insert the card into your camera and ensure it is fully charged
Turn the camera power on while pressing the Menu button
Select "Yes"at the firmware prompt
Once the screen displays "Complete", turn off your camera
Power your camera back on and resume normal use
In order to verify that the firmware update was successful, hold the menu button while powering your camera on.* The screen should indicate version 1.x, where x is the latest version number for your camera, as listed above.* You should then power off your camera and resume normal use.

More Pentax news at: New DSLR Firmware Released (v1.13/12/03) - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com
03-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks Docrwm I will get on to it right away.