Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2012, 08:47 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Ok, I'm confused. You love the K-5 and "it is an awesome camera" but you'd "switch in a heartbeat" if you could get all your money back?
It's actually real simple. The K-5 is a wonderful camera. But Pentax as an overall system leaves a lot to be desired.
When you buy a DSLR, you buy into the system, not just the body.

03-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I'm just beginning with the K5, having upgraded in November from the K10D. I'm pretty impressed overall. It has been all I expected. The dynamic range and high ISO capability was what I wanted in a new body and it has been excellent. The ergonomics are still very good but I prefer the K10D in that respect. It just fits my large hands better. The smaller size and weight have benefits after carrying it on a long day though. I'm always looking at all the cameras too and there just isn't much out there to lure me away right now. Then, there are the lenses.....nobody has anything close to to the Pentax Limiteds. You can go out for a day shooting with a full collection of glass with just a shoulder bag or even your jacket pockets if the weather is cool.
If you miss the size of the K10D in the K5 you can have the best of both worlds (size when you want it, small and light when you don't) by using a D-BG4 battery grip on the K5. Makes a world of difference for me with my larger hands and it adds that extra battery too.
03-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
It's actually real simple. The K-5 is a wonderful camera. But Pentax as an overall system leaves a lot to be desired.
You've been around Pentax for a while or are your ME and ZX new too? I do understand about buying into a system, I have a few Pentax and secondary pieces of equipment.
03-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #49
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
May be, it depends on what you shoot and what your particular needs are. You could easily say this about most any other "system" if it was lacking in your particular need.
Here, I am talking of the K5, and I find it lacking very little against anything in or near its class, and far exceeding most. Great high ISO performance, among the best in DR, a small yet very well laid out body, and some of the best features, such as TAv, you won't find on may cameras. Did I mention the fine SR? I think I would feel pretty cheated if I paid $3K for a camera that didn't have SR when small P&S cameras now have it? I'd say that would be something to be desired that would be at the top of my list. You won't find the perfect camera or the perfect system....at least I haven't run across it yet.....but the K5 keeps looking pretty damn close! I'll keep on looking, and if you find the perfect camera or system, let us know...it seems very elusive to me?
Regards!

03-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #50
Veteran Member

there is no one perfect camera Rupert you should know that by now.
now pick a specific situation and there will be perfect cameras for that

you are right the K5 is a fine example of meeting most needs in one box. If I was shooting fine art landscapes and being paid big bucks for it though i'd rather shoot at least Medium format like a 645d, or if the bucks were enough to cover a donkey and a slave then i'd love large format
03-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
there is no one perfect camera Rupert you should know that by now.
now pick a specific situation and there will be perfect cameras for that

you are right the K5 is a fine example of meeting most needs in one box. If I was shooting fine art landscapes and being paid big bucks for it though i'd rather shoot at least Medium format like a 645d, or if the bucks were enough to cover a donkey and a slave then i'd love large format
I can buy that idea.....if I could have them all and still have a place to sleep it would be wonderful! Unfortunately Mrs Rupert does a monthly inventory of my camera gear. Her last shopping spree was when I got the X10, and the leather case...and the hood.....she didn't miss a damn thing..even the new SD card. She just hands me her shopping receipts and says "we're even"......"for now".

Regards!
03-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I can buy that idea.....if I could have them all and still have a place to sleep it would be wonderful! Unfortunately Mrs Rupert does a monthly inventory of my camera gear. Her last shopping spree was when I got the X10, and the leather case...and the hood.....she didn't miss a damn thing..even the new SD card. She just hands me her shopping receipts and says "we're even"......"for now".

Regards!
LOL, it doesn't work that way with SWMBO. In her mind every time i get the itch to spend a lot on a camera she is losing a vacation in Europe (income is after all finite)

03-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Smart Lady. - Rupert, I can feel your pain.
03-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
You've been around Pentax for a while or are your ME and ZX new too? I do understand about buying into a system, I have a few Pentax and secondary pieces of equipment.
Actually, my grandfather gave me a bunch of pentax stuff, including the ME and ZX. And because I am sentimental, i did not sell any of it.
Instead I decided to sell all of my Nikon stuff because I did not want to have 2 systems. So I made a hasty decision, which in most cases, does not yield the greatest results.

Pentax is definitely good enough for me, and I have seen some world class results from Pentax gear. But it would not be my first choice if I had to start over.
03-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I still want a K5 or something like down the road but I love my K-x. Nothing except maybe a pair of K5 bodies would even tempt me to replace it. There's pretty much nothing on my "want" list at this point except for a good set of lights, the 55-300 and maybe a K5 at some point. I've seen other cameras and duly admired them but I've got what I want pretty much for now and I'm happy. I don't buy a new camera just to have a new camera. It's like buying a car. I usually buy one used and work with it for as long as it's not falling apart. I may walk by a new car and admire it but I'm not likely to run out and buy it.

Camera envy doesn't really hit me too hard except maybe for the occasional all black SPII I see but even then I think I just might find that's not as much of an issue now that I have my Spottie F. I was playing with it a bit today and liking it a whole lot. I can't wait till I can afford to send this baby off for a proper lube and clean. It's still in working order but it could use one and I think I'll be using it a lot so I probably will. This SP-F and my SPII they're the perfect combo for a day of film shooting. My poor K1000, my FRI they may never get out of their bags again now that I finally have a black Spottie of my very own, lol.

Nah, I'm way too busy enjoying all the lovely cameras I have to indulge in too much looking around....
03-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mag, most of us have all we really need, but think we don't. It is a sort of disease, and lots of people suffer from it....some with other interests, like golf or bass fishing, hunting and guns, Mrs Rupert and shopping......etc.

My point here is not necessarily that you will die without the K5, I kind of doubt you would.......(might get sick?)...but rather that if you have the new camera bug, then based on my very thorough and never ending search for the perfect camera, the K5 may come closer than anything else out there for most of us. I find fewer things to not like on the K5 than almost anything newly introduced....and a ton of things to like.

After a year with this camera, I am taking a peek at the manual a little...this damn camera is amazing! Never had any idea it could do so much!

Mostly I just park it in TAv, set the speed I want and let that ISO roam all the way up to the limit. Better than fishing! I'm not always sure just what I will get, but I am always sure I will get something!

Even shooting out the window will get you a shot......maybe at ISO 500..
[IMG] [/IMG]

...maybe at ISO 1250...
[IMG] [/IMG]

..or maybe it will roam all the way up to 12,800...
[IMG] [/IMG]

...and even if it does go that high, there is a ton less cleaning than with fish!

Best Regards!