Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
.......In terms of the K-5, I don't see myself replacing it anytime soon. I haven't bumped up against any important limitations or problems with the camera. All I need is more skill and energy as a photographer - and more good glass, of course
Ditto. I find that with the grip the K5 is really two cameras in one. With it the whole is large enough to fill my hand, without it the camera is small enough to fit in a small bag. Both are more capable as a camera than I am as a photographer.

03-17-2012, 07:28 PM   #17
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
No doubt there are some very nice cameras out there...I've seen them all, or most all of them. Dollar for dollar and IQ for IQ, I still haven't seen a better camera than the K5 for the vast majority of shooters. Those that have the K5 would have a hard time giving it up, no doubt about it. It's just a very fine performer at a very reasonable price. I'm no Fanboy, I'm not all that thrilled with some of what I see from Pentax, and I detested Hoya, but all that aside, the K5 is a winner. I'd say we got very lucky to get this camera!
Regards!
03-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
one word..Nikon D800....now thats a real head turner..expensive yes $2999 us twice the price of a K5..but I expect 4 times the camera..so on that logic its cheaper than a K5...LOL.......or a D700 at $2200US older but still a great camera ..also a Nikon AFS 300F4...a fantastic lens at only $1000 is a steal.....Nikon 50AFS 1.8 at only $250 US is a no brainier..very sharp...and great contrast... a nikon AFD 60 mm macro for $350..nikon 80-200 F2.8..very sharp..and cheap for $1000 US
Why settle for second best, that D4 looks fantastic.
My real boss will not go for it so, I am stuck with the K5.
03-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
The D4 is nowhere near the best - if you really, really, genuinely want the best:
Hasselblad H4D-60

03-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rupert, you are at it again. Did Otis put you up to this? I know he hates the little guy. Loves the K5 and who doesn't. Once you get over the learning curve by reading the manual, you get to really know what a great piece of equipment you are holding in your hands. As is often mentioned, suburb ISO, great sensor and so many customization tolls that it makes your head spin. One just has to look at the great shots you have taken with the "bigma" and the K5 sells itself. I to like most of us "Pentaxians" love to buy. But in my case, it is not for a new camera just accessories..........

Regards
03-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Then again, best for what.
Simply THE best!
03-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shooting studio has no interest to me, therefore a hassy is not of relevance.
No doubt a fine piece of equipment.

03-17-2012, 10:02 PM   #23
Veteran Member

yes the D4 looks great too..but for me too expensive.. also I never shoot in anything other than single shot..so 12 FPS aint for me...there been some good things being said about the new 36 mega pixel sensor in the D800... there's also a lot of very affordable nikor lenses for the F mount ...after a few reviews if they are all positive Ill be selling my D300s for a upgrade...

good interview with Jim Brandenburg here A month with the Nikon D800: Exclusive interview with Jim Brandenburg | Video product reviews | What Digital Camera

if what he says is true..the D800 will be a keeper for a number of years
03-17-2012, 10:58 PM   #24
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Rupert,

Like you I had a really good look around at the current market. I purchased a K-5 a few weeks ago. My analysis showed that functionality, versatility, and image quality for the dollar the K-5 really can't be beaten at the moment. It really depends what you require, and what type of image making you are planning.

I like the huge range of older lenses that can be used on the K-5 and can be purchased for very low (economic) prices. I have purchased a couple of M42 Takumar's today.

If you do purchase a K-5 I am sure you will enjoy it - the IQ is stunning with a good lens

Cheers

Ross
03-18-2012, 12:20 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I've had my K5 for 1 year and 1 month, and i'm still the main limitation in my photography. But i've getting better.

I'm 63 but still enjoy doing impulsive things with my camera, like walking down dim alleys for mood pictures, climbing down some icy rocks to a dry lake bed, snowshoeing on a mountain ridge at 5200 feet, etc. So far my camera has never let me down and frankly i don't want such an expensive camera that it would cause me to curtail the places i like to go in order to protect it. If someone mugs me now or i take a bad fall, I haven't lost as much as if it was a D800 or a D4.

I just stretched one of my K5 fog pictures on a 2'x3' canvas and it looks great and sharp. I could easily take that same K5 file and print a 4' or 5' canvas with it. I don't feel limited by my camera. I like the fact that its smaller than some of my friends cameras.
03-18-2012, 07:35 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some interesting comments here, those of us with the K5 seem to realize what we have, and how excellent it really is.

As long as you compare apples to apples, the K5 is going to be the best apple of all from what I see.

Even if you use an old Pentax 75mm 645 lens on it and shoot a lovely girl at ISO 6400, this apple shines!
[IMG] [/IMG]
Regards!
03-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So Rupert, you're suggesting the first place to look if you get the spring buying bug might be in your camera bag?
03-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
So Rupert, you're suggesting the first place to look if you get the spring buying bug might be in your camera bag?
Don't get me wrong, you can't have too many new devices, including cameras, but it doesn't mean you are going to gain a heck of a lot over the K5.....may even go backwards? So if you have a K5 in your bag, that is indeed the first place to go for an excellent camera.......yes, I'd agree with that!

BTW- The K5 & Pentax 645 75mm even shoot green apples!
[IMG] [/IMG]
03-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Rupert...last shot looks a tad OOF but may be the Jpg conversion ..also the WB seems to be off...a pink cast on my monitor.....

heres K5 image of mine

a D300s image..quite a bit of PP to get rid of that crappy fake tan

another D300s

03-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The true test is if your camera can shoot a handsome Squirrel handheld at 1/160 @ 500mm ISO 2500....one with a "natural tan", I might add! My K5 passes the test every time!

[IMG] [/IMG]

Let's don't forget, our K5s have that great SR...for every lens we mount! I know a few others that don't, you too?
Regards!