Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Sensor spot

I just got a new K-5 and have a spot showing up in the images. I tried cleaning it with an Eclipse kit with cleaning fluid without success. I'm attaching a couple of 100% crops of the spot. I hate to have to send the camera to be repaired since I just got it so I would like to get rid of the spot myself. The warranty would cover this issue if needed I hope.

I have read other posts with problem spots and have also tried distilled water. So far nothing has budged it. I'm not sure what kind of spot it is and am hoping someone on here will be able to tell from the attached images. The first image was at f5.6 and the second at f11. Does it look like dust or a stain? Is there a better way to clean this than what I have tried so far? Thanks for your help.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-16-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried using dust removal? Make sure you run it at startup and you shouldn't see to much dust

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #3

What's the S/N of your camera ?
03-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes it is set to run at startup. I also ran it manually several times. Thanks.

03-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
SN is 4245xxx and was manufactured 11/11. I don't think it is the sensor stain issue that affected so many early cameras but was wondering if it could be some other type of stain instead of dust since I can't seem to get rid of it.
03-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
Forum Member

I use a rocket blower to get rid of the dust that dust removal system could not shake off. Happened only a few times on K-5 ,but i do have the dreadful stains and it does not look like it. It is a defined dark spot with non-defined halo around, and it is not alone - it usually has similar friends near by.
03-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

definitely dust and not the sensor stain issue. like said above try a rocket blower. if the dust is welded on more than a blower can handle then get a visible dust kit of some sort (a wet swab or dry swab for instance)

Camera sensor cleaning ? Arctic Butterfly sensor brush, loupe, swabs, liquids

03-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
OK. Thanks. I'll get a new cleaning kit and try that if you think it is dust and not a stain. I'll probably need one at some point anyway. I've briefly looked at the links and see they have several types of kits. I'll look more later when I have time and try to decide which kit would be better for this spot. Thanks again!
03-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

if you can find it the Pentax O-ICK1 kit is pretty decent as well - hard to find in toronto
03-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #10

I recently got a spot on my K5 sensor that would not go away despite using the camera's dust removal mode many times and tried a blower without success. When I got home I took out my Eclipse and pec pads and gave a damp cleaning, tested, and had a reduced but still discernible spot. Gave it a second damp cleaning and the sensor was good. My K5 had recently come back from repair (unrelated issue) and assume FWIW that the spot was not dust but more likely oil. I've heard of other cameras (Nikons) having a similar problem with new cameras and a few stories re K5's. If it is oil I would not be surprised to see it maybe one or two more times and then never again. Hopefully your technique with the eclipse is sound. I personally would not use distilled water to clean my sensor unless it was an extreme emergency (like I dropped the K5 in the ocean). Eclipse is designed to clean and evaporate quickly without leaving any chemical spots. Do not get too aggressive and over-saturate your tool with the eclipse. It is possible to "drown" your sensor which leads to an expensive and uncovered by warranty repair (sad personal experience). Also, don't reuse the same pad if you do successive cleanings. Use reasonable care and try multiple goes with the eclipse. If it's still a "new" K5 and you still can't get the damn spot out, I'd see about maybe getting an exchange. After reasonable efforts on your part it may simply be beyond you and further more radical steps may void your warranty.
03-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. I have cleaned sensors before but haven't had to since I got my first camera with self cleaning sensor. The Eclipse kit I have is about 3 years old so I don't know if the solution might weaken over time. I think I will buy one of the Visible Dust kits and give it a try. The spot was there from the first frame so it came from the factory with the spot. I really don't want to have to exchange the camera. The first K-5 I bought was a refurb and had a couple of issues with it so I returned it and exchanged for this new camera. The people at ProDigital 2000\Carman's FotoSource I bought it from were very nice about exchanging and even paid the return shipping. If I can't get the spot off I will probably just send it to Pentax and have them remove it under warranty. I hope I can get rid of it without sending it back. I waited a long time to get this camera and I really don't want to be without it for who knows how long while it is being cleaned. Thanks again for your help.

Last edited by dvest; 03-17-2012 at 12:59 AM.
03-17-2012, 12:58 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
I tried the Eclipse kit 2 more times with no luck. It might have faded slightly - hard to tell. I wonder if it could be an oil spot? I saw Visible Dust sells kits for oil spots and read somewhere in researching cleaning products that new sensors sometimes have oil spots.
03-17-2012, 01:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
if you can find it the Pentax O-ICK1 kit is pretty decent as well - hard to find in toronto
That's the best advice so far, I do like that kit!
And it's easy to take it along in your traveling kit too, light, nearly unbreakable, no liquids to spill and allowed to fly with.
03-17-2012, 01:42 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
That's the best advice so far, I do like that kit!
And it's easy to take it along in your traveling kit too, light, nearly unbreakable, no liquids to spill and allowed to fly with.
I see Amazon has a few in stock. At $55 it is more expensive than the cleaning kits I've looked at but if that's what it takes to get rid of this spot it will be money well spent. I'll check into it. Right now I'm just trying to figure out what kind of spot it is so I get the right tool for the job. Thanks.

Last edited by dvest; 03-17-2012 at 01:53 AM.
03-17-2012, 06:14 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dvest Quote
Thanks for the advice. I have cleaned sensors before but haven't had to since I got my first camera with self cleaning sensor. The Eclipse kit I have is about 3 years old so I don't know if the solution might weaken over time. I think I will buy one of the Visible Dust kits and give it a try. The spot was there from the first frame so it came from the factory with the spot. I really don't want to have to exchange the camera. The first K-5 I bought was a refurb and had a couple of issues with it so I returned it and exchanged for this new camera. The people at ProDigital 2000\Carman's FotoSource I bought it from were very nice about exchanging and even paid the return shipping. If I can't get the spot off I will probably just send it to Pentax and have them remove it under warranty. I hope I can get rid of it without sending it back. I waited a long time to get this camera and I really don't want to be without it for who knows how long while it is being cleaned. Thanks again for your help.
"Eclipse" fluid is nothing more than pure methyl alcohol = methanol. Doesn't degrade with time. If you want to save some money and you have access to a chemical supply house you can buy reagent grade methanol for less than half the price of the Eclipse fluid. Put a few!! drops on the end of the proper sized pec pad, one swipe accross the sensor, turn the pad over and swipe the other way. Wait about .5 min and test. If the spot is still there repeat but with a new sensor pad.
Instead of a rocket blower I use a foot pump with a small nozzle, I get greater pressure and a longer duration "puff". Foot pumps can be found in most camping supply stores. I got this tip from a professional Nikon repair tech, they use footpumps in their shop.

NaCl(tips from the pros are always nice)H2O