Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #16
Veteran Member

What if the K-r line is discontinued to be replaced by the current K-5 line. Ie. the K-5 replacement becomes the K-r replacement and Ricoh releases a new flagship line featuring FF sensors? This way the new FF line becomes Pentax's new flagship/pro line with the existing K-5 line becoming the enthusiast line. I would think that this would allow them to not become spread too thin while improving their overall DSLR standing.

Just an idea without any evidence or substantiation.

03-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nachodog Quote
What if the K-r line is discontinued to be replaced by the current K-5 line. Ie. the K-5 replacement becomes the K-r replacement and Ricoh releases a new flagship line featuring FF sensors? This way the new FF line becomes Pentax's new flagship/pro line with the existing K-5 line becoming the enthusiast line. I would think that this would allow them to not become spread too thin while improving their overall DSLR standing.

I don't think that they will hit the price points to be competitive with intermediate DSLR's from the big name brands if they were to employ that strategy. It would make Pentax an even more marginal brand. They seem intent on offering a full range of cameras, albeit without a FF at the moment.
03-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

The lens roadmap is specifying new DA lenses over the next couple of years, DA lenses generally being for APS-C only. Also, Pentax has already hinted to us not to expect FF in the near future. Finally, having only 1 (entry-level) DSLR would definitely hurt sales.
03-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are currently 4 Pentax lines; there is at least one to be added
  • Compacts
    • WG is a specialty sub-line
  • Mirrorless/Hybrid
    • Q
    • K-01 (will become a successful line of cameras - the "Zero" line, unfortunately)
  • dSLR
    • entry level (K-r will be replaced by early summer)
    • K-5 will stay in production until 12/2012 or longer
    • new release / upgrade (K-3) late summer
  • 645D (new lenses, at least)
  • Something new and exciting next year (Ricoh has a plan and you will be happy).
  • Whatever happens with Ricoh brand

Last edited by monochrome; 03-17-2012 at 02:06 PM.
03-18-2012, 03:40 AM   #20

My K5 is perfectly capable in most situations. I am happy to continue to shoot another 10-20K shots with it.
If there is a successor to K5, it is a huge bonus to all Pentax users... and i will definitely get one...
03-18-2012, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

I'd be happy with an aps-h sensor for my FA primes,
03-18-2012, 06:38 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I just think you all should just not worry or lose any sleep over it and just grab what camera you have and go take pictures. There is always going to be something out there newer or better. I started out with a K-x and used it for a year, felt I needed something more and so I went out and got me a K-5, I have been getting familiar with the K-5 over the last few days and I find it is a very capable camera to cover all my photographic needs at least for the next 5 years, I really don't care what is coming out next or what is going to replace my K-5, it is a very capable camera and so is my K-x(I will continue to use it just as much)
The main thing I am trying to say is that you should just get out there and photograph, you can waste a lot of time trying to outdo the Jonses, ya it is great to have all the latest newest thing on the market, but as soon as you buy it you know already that they are already manufacturing a bigger, faster, prettier, better model. Be happy with what you have and get out there and get the shot, otherwise go ahead and chase that pipe dream with your wallet.
I have only taken about 50 shots with my K-5 and I am already satisfied with this camera fully. I have so much more to learn on it but if I waste my time pondering if I should have waited for the next big thing or replacement then that is all just precious shots lost and time wasted

03-18-2012, 07:18 AM   #23
Veteran Member

It's possible but weren't there press releases that specifically say that the K-01 isn't a K-r or K-5 replacement and those cameras will be replaced later this year? I think it's possible that the K-r replacement goes a little more upscale since it doesn't have to be the entry level camera in the lineup. Possibly WR.

And I don't think Pentax would replace the K-5 with a FF camera since they sell A LOT of K-5's and the FF sales would be lower due to higher cost and bulk. If a FF is released it would have to be a 4th camera in the APSC/FF lineup. If they do that then Ricoh would have to be feeling bullish on the Pentax brand.

I don't care when a replacement comes out since I just got a K-5 today. I took about 10k photos with my K200D in 9 months before upgrading.
03-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #24
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
I'd be happy with an aps-h sensor for my FA primes,
+1 on this request, but there is also a need for an APS-C sensor camera.