Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the K5 and Scottsdale's McDowell Sonoran Preserve

I went out yesterday - on a sunrise to sunset (with time off with good behaviour at mid day) photography class in Scottsdale's McDowell Sonoran Preserve. Wonderful place for photography! This was my first serious outing with the K5 that I acquired in mid January. I have used it and learned the body to an extent, but this was shooting with it all day long - and it was a looong day. So what did I find? Well, a lot of good and a bit of I wish .... All in all, pretty good.
  • The size I do like, although I really like the K20 a tad better - the K20 was a good friend. Through out the day, the K5 was very easy to carry - weight is perfect - even with an L bracket.
  • Bracketing - yup - still can't beat the K20 in my mind for the dedicated one button bracketing setup, however the K5 is not bad. I shot quite a few in bracketing mode - which leads me to the one real major fubar. The camera locked up and every-time I touched a button, it burned off 5 shots. Finally, removed the battery and slide it back in and it was fine for the rest of the day. Note - I need to update the software, but I tend to use what came with it for a while, so the battery is recharging right now for the update.
  • Burned through 3/4 of the battery during the day, across I don't know how many hundreds of shots. Very satisfied.
  • Liveview - I tried it, I liked it, but in bright sunlight, its pretty dim. Down on the ground, its still difficult to use (articulating screen would be nice). Which brings up Tethering - I need to try the capability developed by the Pentax user for the community. I still can not fathom why Pentax does not support tethering - its a really stupid oversight. Pentax needs to wise up.
  • The SD card - the K20 is absolute perfection. Open the door, push the card down and then grasp the card and its out. Trying to grasp the card on a K5 is difficult at best. Every time I do this, I remember the K20. I need to use tweezers or get a pair of forceps.
  • The sensor is absolutely fabulous!! Blows the K20's sensor away.
  • The larger viewfinder worked very well - I like it. I was doing a fair amount of depth of field and it worked perfectly.
  • The placement of the external shutter wired connector on the right side is absolutely wonderful, as it now does not get tangled up with the L-bracket.
  • The placement of the format command takes a bit of looking for to find in the menu system.
  • The updated state and status screens are wonderful and well though out. They were very useful.
  • The dedicated ISO button was a great addition - the K20 had it but it was really a hidden capability. I used it a lot as the storm clouds moved in during the afternoon. The extended ISO range from 80 on up is wonderful. Even shot some at 1600 and did not think twice about it.
  • Handheld the K5 is wonderful. Great size and balance.

The day was very worthwhile. The group was wonderful. The size was just right - 10 of us. The folks were there to shoot and learn, along with having a lot of fun. A wonderful time was had by all. I learned a lot, tried out a lot that I had just forsaken - or never had the inclination to do.

Along the trail was a "No Shooting" sign. Of course, every walker, hiker, and bicyclist jokingly pointed out that there was no shooting as they smiled and posed for pictures as they made their way.

Attached Images

Last edited by interested_observer; 03-18-2012 at 09:11 PM.
03-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Sounds like a terrific day. You can reconfigure the RAW button on the left side to work as a one push bracketing setup as I recall.
03-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I went out yesterday - on a sunrise to sunset (with time off with good behaviour at mid day) photography class in Scottsdale's McDowell Sonoran Preserve. Wonderful place for photography! This was my first serious outing with the K5 that I acquired in mid January. I have used it and learned the body to an extent, but this was shooting with it all day long - and it was a looong day. So what did I find? Well, a lot of good and a bit of I wish .... All in all, pretty good.
  • The size I do like, although I really like the K20 a tad better - the K20 was a good friend. Through out the day, the K5 was very easy to carry - weight is perfect - even with an L bracket.
  • Bracketing - yup - still can't beat the K20 in my mind for the dedicated one button bracketing setup, however the K5 is not bad. I shot quite a few in bracketing mode - which leads me to the one real major fubar. The camera locked up and every-time I touched a button, it burned off 5 shots. Finally, removed the battery and slide it back in and it was fine for the rest of the day. Note - I need to update the software, but I tend to use what came with it for a while, so the battery is recharging right now for the update.
  • Burned through 3/4 of the battery during the day, across I don't know how many hundreds of shots. Very satisfied.
  • Liveview - I tried it, I liked it, but in bright sunlight, its pretty dim. Down on the ground, its still difficult to use (articulating screen would be nice). Which brings up Tethering - I need to try the capability developed by the Pentax user for the community. I still can not fathom why Pentax does not support tethering - its a really stupid oversight. Pentax needs to wise up.
  • The SD card - the K20 is absolute perfection. Open the door, push the card down and then grasp the card and its out. Trying to grasp the card on a K5 is difficult at best. Every time I do this, I remember the K20. I need to use tweezers or get a pair of forceps.
  • The sensor is absolutely fabulous!! Blows the K20's sensor away.
  • The larger viewfinder worked very well - I like it. I was doing a fair amount of depth of field and it worked perfectly.
  • The placement of the external shutter wired connector on the right side is absolutely wonderful, as it now does not get tangled up with the L-bracket.
  • The placement of the format command takes a bit of looking for to find in the menu system.
  • The updated state and status screens are wonderful and well though out. They were very useful.
  • The dedicated ISO button was a great addition - the K20 had it but it was really a hidden capability. I used it a lot as the storm clouds moved in during the afternoon. The extended ISO range from 80 on up is wonderful. Even shot some at 1600 and did not think twice about it.
  • Handheld the K5 is wonderful. Great size and balance.

The day was very worthwhile. The group was wonderful. The size was just right - 10 of us. The folks were there to shoot and learn, along with having a lot of fun. A wonderful time was had by all. I learned a lot, tried out a lot that I had just forsaken - or never had the inclination to do.

Along the trail was a "No Shooting" sign. Of course, every walker, hiker, and bicyclist jokingly pointed out that there was no shooting as they smiled and posed for pictures as they made their way.

I agree with you. Getting the SD card out is extremely difficult for me...I am a big guy with big hands. I have a K10D and the SD card door was fantastic ...also the PC plug in door...the new plastic rubbery covers are the one cheap design aspect of the K-5.
03-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Use your fingernail to press the card in to release it then let it go. It will come out a bit farther than using the spring only and is easier to grasp.

03-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
.... and here are some images...
I like the idea about remapping the RAW button, and the fingernail idea I need to try...

Thanks!
03-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Use your fingernail to press the card in to release it then let it go. It will come out a bit farther than using the spring only and is easier to grasp.

I do...but I've got extra large hands and it's very tight for my fingers in there.

I'm on the big side....6' 3" + and around 225 lbs...I also find cars difficult to fit in. As a result I drive a large 6 passenger Buick sedan.