Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #1

Lens compatibility

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi!

I just bought a Pentax K-5 with a 18-55mm WR lens and I wanted to know if my Sigma 55-200mm lens will fit in my new camera. If you want to see my Sigma lens, here it is:

Sigma 55-200mm AF F4-5.6 DC Digital Lens for Pentax AF: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Thanks!

03-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup it will work.
03-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you! And for those who have a Pentax K5, what do you think of it? I used to have a Pentax KX, so this is my only point of comparison.
03-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Assuming you had a k-x not the KX (which is a film camera) it is a bit like moving from a mini-van to a Jaguar. They both get you to the grocery store and back, but the one is a lot more fun.

The k-x is an entry level camera and a very good one. The k-5 is an enthusiast or professional level camera with just about everything a professional would need in a aps-c camera. I define enthusiast rather loosely as someone who understands photographic principles and generally can use the camera as it was designed, not just leave it on the green mode. Professional being defined as someone who depends on the camera for all or part of their income.

03-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Assuming you had a k-x not the KX (which is a film camera) it is a bit like moving from a mini-van to a Jaguar. They both get you to the grocery store and back, but the one is a lot more fun.

The k-x is an entry level camera and a very good one. The k-5 is an enthusiast or professional level camera with just about everything a professional would need in a aps-c camera. I define enthusiast rather loosely as someone who understands photographic principles and generally can use the camera as it was designed, not just leave it on the green mode. Professional being defined as someone who depends on the camera for all or part of their income.
I have to humbly disagree with the analogy - the reality is that for most uses there is little between the k-x and K-5 that _really_ matters. I have a K-x and recently bought a K-5. I love the weather sealing, slightly higher resolution and extra controls, but if you are taking a picture outside of sports or a rainstorm, I think that a $1000 lens would do much more for the image quality. And I also own a Jaguar, a supercharged one at that, but I bet that driving the minivan (for me = 1.2 litre suzuki hatchback) like a nutter would be more legal and much more fun than driving the Jag at what the car is completely comfortable with. Sometimes, it's how you use it, rather than what you use.

David
03-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by orangezorki Quote
And I also own a Jaguar, a supercharged one at that, but I bet that driving the minivan (for me = 1.2 litre suzuki hatchback) like a nutter would be more legal and much more fun than driving the Jag
I'll give you it was not the best analogy. However, owning a Jag has been one of my dreams since I was a kid (which sadly you just crushed), so I had assumed it would be more fun. If you can authoritatively state from your experience that driving a Jag is NOT more fun than driving a mini-van then I guess I have to thank you for saving me a bunch of money.

Sigh, one more dream crushed.........................
03-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I'll give you it was not the best analogy. However, owning a Jag has been one of my dreams since I was a kid (which sadly you just crushed), so I had assumed it would be more fun. If you can authoritatively state from your experience that driving a Jag is NOT more fun than driving a mini-van then I guess I have to thank you for saving me a bunch of money.

Sigh, one more dream crushed.........................
Oh dear, I really need to preface my posts with something along the lines of 'never take me too seriously' - I definitely don't!

If you have the dream of getting a Jag, please do not let me put you off it. Mine, an XFR, is basically an XF with the 5.0L supercharged engine and trick suspension from the XKR with a bodykit, and it is awesome. A one off purchase with a massive chunk of money I won't see or earn for a long, long time. As such, it is financially the most stupid purchase I have ever made, but otherwise the best. Over 500hp, a fantastic sounding V8, the best interior of any car the sensible side of £100k, a comfortable ride, and IMO better looking than the BMW and Merc equivalents. It also cost a great deal less than a CLS AMG or an M5 - enough less to buy a copy of pretty much everything Pentax makes if I had had the money in the first place!

Alas, the immense running costs in the UK of insurance, tyres and fuel mean that it just isn't practical to use every day, and I actually save money by running a second car for most of my miles - a 1.2 automatic suzuki swift, highest trim (BTW, who thought that we would ever see a bargain basement car that had climate control, bluetooth, a more than half decent stereo, cruise, and even an airbag for the driver's knee!). I love it because it is equally great value for different reasons - cheap to run, but more importantly looks better than the amorphous blob of most new compact cars, and it handles like a go-kart. That, along with the peppy but underpowered engine means that you can drive it like a rally car while keeping to speeds that won't get your licence revoked instantly. If I drove the Jag enthusiastically, but well within its limits, on the public roads it wouldn't be long before I had to take the bus.

That's why I said that often it matters more how you use something - but it still matters what you choose to use. If you want a Jag, but understandably can't stomach the high price new, have a look at an S-Type R. Not fantastic looking, but the wonderful old 4.2L supercharged V8 and should be pretty reliable. A 5 year old one is likely to cost less than almost any new budget car. It's still a Jag, built in the factory that once made spitfires!

David

EDIT: Apologies for the massive deviation from the topic

EDIT AGAIN: The minivan may be appalling to drive - I once drove a loaner Prius and would never accept a car that handles like such a barge. My take on the analogy was meant to say that the K-x may be cheaper, but is just as honed and fit for purpose as any recent Pentax.

Last edited by orangezorki; 03-20-2012 at 01:01 PM.
03-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh dear, I really need to preface my posts with something along the lines of 'never take me too seriously' - I definitely don't!
I didn't, and hope you didn't take me too seriously either. Just having a bit of fun.

I agree with you 100% on the k-x vs k-5. Absolutely both will get the job done in fine style. I started with a k-x, since passed on to my wife, and now have a k-5. There are a lot of things to like about the k-x, in particular the very light weight for a dslr. But the skill behind the camera is far more important. That said, I would not give up the k-5. The k-x was built to have fun with, the k-5 is more serious, when I pick it up it feels like it demands more from me, not just casual snaps. And I know that sounds silly, but it feels like it is telling me "take your time, do it right, this is not a toy, you are creating something special".

PS. I will try to hold onto the Jaguar dream, but you should know I also want a farm in Oregon, and a mountain estate in Idaho. I was also thinking a private jet would be nice to get back & forth with.
03-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #9

Nuts! Are you Satan? Because you've just got me wondering how much an airstream jet costs in 194837 easy payments...

David
03-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nuts! Are you Satan? Because you've just got me wondering how much an airstream jet costs in 194837 easy payments...

David
Let me know, maybe we can work a time share on the airstream.....
03-21-2012, 06:16 PM   #11

in 194837 easy payments
HahahahaHahahahaHahahahaHahahahaHahahaha