Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 / Limiting Shutter speed

Greetings

Recently I was accompanying a Nikon user and he was mentioning about a feature on his camera. He sets the shutter speed not to "fall below" a certain value. i.e. minimum he can tolerate for his requirement (mostly birds action). Camera adjusts ISO such that he is guaranteed that shutter speed never falls below this set value( I guess it is at camera level setting). However aperture is in his control ( I guess Av mode).

Is this possible with K-5?

regards

03-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I don't think so. However, what you can take advantage of with the Pentax is hyper program: you can manually step in at any time to adjust the shutter speed as needed, even in P mode. Nikons don't have that feature As long as you set the ISO to auto, you should get the same results.

You can also try to set the program line to action, as that will try to maximize the shutter speed.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Even the K-x has the Hyper modes from P - did not realise Nikons do not. Would hate to be without this feature - its a good one!
03-19-2012, 10:18 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
When ever I am after a minimum shutter speed and also have control of the aperture I utilize TAV mode. I don't think nikon or canon have an equivalent to TAV mode.

03-19-2012, 10:18 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you.

Adam, is it possible to move this thread to k-5 discussion thread? I guess, i wrongly created in lenses area (wrong click). Thanks in advance.
03-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
More simply:
You set to AV mode and leave aperture wide open, then set your ISO as high as you will accept for image quality. That way you will always get the highest possible shutter speed for the given light / ISO speed. This is what I use for birding.
03-20-2012, 12:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sudhakar Quote
Adam, is it possible to move this thread to k-5 discussion thread?
You can report your own (opening) post using the little yellow triangle with the exclamation mark.

03-20-2012, 02:09 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
More simply:
You set to AV mode and leave aperture wide open, then set your ISO as high as you will accept for image quality. That way you will always get the highest possible shutter speed for the given light / ISO speed. This is what I use for birding.
I usually don't want to shoot birds with wide open aperture. The DOF is simply too thin, and my Sigma 70-300 isn't that sharp wide open.
So my approach is TAv mode, aperture fixed on f/8, shutter fixed on 1/250, and ISO floating.

To get back to the original subject of this topic: No, the K5 doesn't have Nikon's low shutter-speed restriction, but I think you can use TAv mode in a lot of the use cases you would use that nikon setting. Actually, it does resemble the nikon mode a lot: only, you don't specify a mininum shutter-speed, but only a fixed one.
03-20-2012, 04:13 AM   #9
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sudhakar Quote
Greetings

Recently I was accompanying a Nikon user and he was mentioning about a feature on his camera. He sets the shutter speed not to "fall below" a certain value. i.e. minimum he can tolerate for his requirement (mostly birds action). Camera adjusts ISO such that he is guaranteed that shutter speed never falls below this set value( I guess it is at camera level setting). However aperture is in his control ( I guess Av mode).

Is this possible with K-5?

regards
Not directly, I too would love to set up an exposure logic triangle of preferred Aperture, Iso & Shutter Speed range and the order I'd prefer to "loosen" them should metered conditions require.

The closest you can come to the Nikon set up is to use TAv mode and have
the Program Line set to "High-speed Priority"
03-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

For wildlife, TAv is a dream to use. You have great control, and will seldom miss a shot, since the high ISO of the K5 is dependable even at very high values.......shoot with Raw+ and all your bases are covered.
Regards!
03-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

This feature is part of Nikon's auto ISO implementation (of my D90 anyway). It's more of a trade off.

For example:
You set the min shutter speed to 1/30 and auto iso to max at 1600 and are using Apperture priority.
If the iso is already at 1600 and apperture is already max open then shutterspeed will be at 1/30 no matter what, so if the image is 1 stops underexposed that it will be 1 stop underexposed.

With my k-5 camera, the shutterspeed will automatically dip to an appropriate shutter speed, it will be properly exposed at the expense of potential blur. With both the k-5 and the d90 you can choose to simply increase the max ISO to 3200 to get the correct exposure (or turn off auto iso and set it to that). I find most of the time that if the camera can get proper exposure they will both have the same shutterspeed/iso combinations
03-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

No offense, but Nikons so have a hyper-program equivalent. Verglace can test this. go to "program" and turn the e-dials. the "P" icon should change to "*P". And isn't anybody bothered by the fact that the Pentax lowest shutter speed limiter DOESN'T actually keep the min. shutter speed there? Not trying to troll, but it doesn't do what it's supposed to.
03-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
No offense, but Nikons so have a hyper-program equivalent. Verglace can test this. go to "program" and turn the e-dials. the "P" icon should change to "*P".
That's regular program-shift (also available on Pentax, BTW), not hyper-program.
03-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
And isn't anybody bothered by the fact that the Pentax lowest shutter speed limiter DOESN'T actually keep the min. shutter speed there?

No, but what do you mean? What mode, and what limiter?
03-22-2012, 01:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I don't use P mode that much so I don't know the difference between hyper program and hyper shift, but yes if I turn the dials on the d90 it will let me choose the aperture/shutterspeed, not sure what you mean by minimum shutterspeed in the pentax, it lets you choose a shutter speed but I dont think it ever goes below or above what you choose, unless you press green button I guess.

I like Pentax's implementation of auto ISO mode much faster to switch between auto-iso or manual iso. Just iso-button + green button to switch to auto, and iso button + dial to manually choose iso, in the nikon I have to go through the menu. With the nikon I like the ability to set a minimum shutter, too bad the sensor in the d90 doesn't come anywhere near the k-5s dynamic range to take advantage of the minimum shutter feature.