Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
Regarding AF, what do I gain (aside from increased accuracy from the color wavelength sensor) by upgrading to the K-5?

--DragonLord
You'd gain the ability to dial in micro-adjustments for each Pentax lens, and I think some Sigma ones, too (and others? IDK). This is in addition to having a global adjustment that applies to lenses not specified individually.

The K-5 is supposed to have a somewhat easier time in tungsten light, too. I'm not sure if the issue is solved, but it's said to be improved.

03-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
You'd gain the ability to dial in micro-adjustments for each Pentax lens, and I think some Sigma ones, too (and others? IDK). This is in addition to having a global adjustment that applies to lenses not specified individually.

The K-5 is supposed to have a somewhat easier time in tungsten light, too. I'm not sure if the issue is solved, but it's said to be improved.
Any advantage in AF speed?

--DragonLord
03-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
Yep!.....a LOT quieter.
Yup ... 100% true.
03-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Lenses ...

Bonjour,

Get a K-5 and some legacy glass ... like the A 50mm f1.7.

I have both and they are great together.

Also have the DA 35mm 2.4 AL - it works wonders, too!

Bon courage, John le Green Grenouille

03-24-2012, 05:25 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
John Poitiers (and others with both a K-r and K-5), is the K-5 AF faster than the K-r? I'm aware that the light wavelength sensor offers increased accuracy in difficult lighting conditions, but are there any other advantages? How much better is the metering on the K-5 compared to the K-r?

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 03-24-2012 at 05:33 AM.
03-24-2012, 05:37 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Never tested side by side ...

John Poitiers (and others with both a K-r and K-5), is the K-5 AF faster than the K-r?

--DragonLord
Bonjour Dragonlord,

Cannot really tell you with any certainty ... I had the K-r starting in Jan. 2011, then bought a used K-7 for me (about in May) and my "better half" took over the K-r. I have had the K-5 since Nov. 2011 ... also, just installed the newest firmware on both as soon as it came out.

I would say that the K-5 AF may have quickened with the new firmware ... but I have not shot with the K-r for quite a while (since last August). I will try to do a quick "off-the-hip" comparison when I find a moment and I will let you know ...

Allez, salut et bon weekend, John Frog
03-24-2012, 07:24 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K5 is a great camera. I switched from the K7 to the K5 in Dec 2011 and am still learning the features of the camera.

03-25-2012, 09:49 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just ordered my K-5 from B&H (though the affiliate link) along with Tamrac Pro 12 camera bag (to accommodate both camera bodies), two-year extended warranty, and HDMI cable. Order should arrive Tuesday.

--DragonLord
03-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Just ordered my K-5 from B&H (though the affiliate link) along with Tamrac Pro 12 camera bag (to accommodate both camera bodies), two-year extended warranty, and HDMI cable. Order should arrive Tuesday.

--DragonLord
Congratulations. The Pentax 2 year extended is such a no-brainer that it should just be included by them!
03-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Congrats! Let us know how it works out for ya.
03-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll post a new thread discussing it once it arrives. Also note the updated signature

--DragonLord
03-25-2012, 10:48 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Felicitations ... en français

Just ordered my K-5 from B&H (though the affiliate link) along with Tamrac Pro 12 camera bag (to accommodate both camera bodies), two-year extended warranty, and HDMI cable. Order should arrive Tuesday. --DragonLord
Congrats DragonLord,

Let us know later and enjoy ... the K-5 is a great body.

You'll really see the differences between the K-r & K-5 ... don't get me wrong, the K-r is great, but the K-5 is just "super" as the French say ...

Salut, J Frog
03-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #43
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi DragonLord,

I am sure you will enjoy the K-5. It is a sweet little camera.

I am in Apia, Samoa at the moment and it is pouring with rain. I will take photo's without a care because the K-5 and 16-50 are water sealed.

All good - enjoy

Ross
03-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
The regrets would be more of a marital variety... even if I sell my K-r I'll be looking for $600 or more... I think I"ll just stick to sneaking second hand lenses in the house...
Aaahahahahaha! I'm with you on that...although, I can't even sneak my second hand lenses in the house. She does the family accounting.
03-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
The regrets would be more of a marital variety... ... I think I"ll just stick to sneaking second hand lenses in the house...
Bonjour,

I sneak and don't tell anymore ... scrimp & save some cash away ... then find (another) second-hand treasure. Besides, she really doesn't want to know anymore ... "let me just close my the eyes and maybe it'll all go away" - she's gotta be thinking this by now.

Salut, J Frog