Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So tempting...

The K-5 is so tempting at $999... should I get it now or wait for a successor?

As a K-r user, convince me to get the K-5. How will I benefit from the K-5? The only usable lenses I have are in my signature.

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 03-20-2012 at 03:13 PM.
03-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If you can afford it, get it. Your K-r would make a good backup, or you could sell it off to recoup a good chunk of the cost. I don't think anyone has regretted upgrading from K-r to K-5.

Then again, for the same money you could get some really nice glass, which would likely have more of an impact on your photography as a whole...
03-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My K-r will not fetch much, it has more than 30,000 shutter cycles on it. I plan to keep it as a backup.

--DragonLord
03-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It might not seem like a big difference at first, but I think you'll really enjoy the 2 e-dials. Its lets you go into hyper program in P mode for both shutter speed and aperture, which is very very handy! Don't forget that you will get a 1-year account upgrade if you order from adorama or BH, you just have to follow these steps:

Free Marketplace Access & Added Photo Space - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't care about P mode, but I do find that I wouldn't be able to live without both e-dials.

And, the K-5 just has such great IQ. Really, you aren't going to currently find a camera that even comes close for the price... Seriously, if you have the money, get a K-5. You'll never regret it, I'm sure.*

*If you ever do, let me know and I'll pay shipping to get it off of you.
03-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Every camera manufacturer has been able to followup from a good camera with one that isn't as good or an out right dud. No guarantee the pentax K3 will be any beter for you than the K5. I think the weakest part of the K5 is the autofocus for wildlife and maybe some sports. If you don't need the best autofocus I don't think there is much else to wait for for the next model. I am starting to form the opinion that anything better than the K5 it's hard to see how the lenses can keep pace. With the extra money buying the K5 now, you can justify buying a couple of the cheaper primes or one of the Ltds.

I must say I love the K5 so much I own three of them. I don't need a fourth.
03-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I did what you are thinking about back on CyberMonday, no regrets. I got $400 towards my K5 from the sale of the K-r.

Benefits for me:
Battery Grip - amazing what a difference it makes in both shooting from an ergonomic standpoint and from a longevity standpoint
Weather sealing - no more running for cover when its raining like nearly everyone else without a FF camera
More buttons - More direct and immediate control over the settings and features used in making a photo
AF improvement - more accurate overall and now with firmware updates its faster IMHO
Color depth - improved with K5
ISO - serious improvement on the high end and slight on the low end
Remote - front and BACK receivers for IR plus hard wired option that allows very long exposures and programmed exposures with the right remote
Exposure Comp - up from +-3 to +-5 with more choices for autobracketing
Video - better although not used much by me

03-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Going to have to call B&H in the morning! I bought a new K-5 from them for $1199 7 days ago! I know they'll honor the price.

I thought the K-5 was a DEAL at $1199! At $999 it's a SCREAMIN' DEAL!!!!
03-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Going to have to call B&H in the morning! I bought a new K-5 from them for $1199 7 days ago! I know they'll honor the price.

I thought the K-5 was a DEAL at $1199! At $999 it's a SCREAMIN' DEAL!!!!

If there ever was a time to get the K-5, it would be NOW!

The K-5 currently costs the same as a Canon EOS 60D. Are you going to get full (EOS-1 series level) weather sealing, 7 fps, 14-stop dynamic range, or a whisper-quiet shutter from a 60D? NO!

(What I'm not sure about is how useful this is to a K-r owner... )

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 03-21-2012 at 12:08 AM.
03-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is the K5 that much more quiet? That could be compelling in itself!
03-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote

If there ever was a time to get the K-5, it would be NOW!

The K-5 currently costs the same as a Canon EOS 60D. Are you going to get full (EOS-1 series level) weather sealing, 7 fps, 14-stop dynamic range, or a whisper-quiet shutter from a 60D? NO!

(What I'm not sure about is how useful this is to a K-r owner...)

--DragonLord
I upgraded from a K-x(still gonna hang on to that very capable camera) and there is vast improvements, just the two edials alone is worth the extra $, this K-5 isn't going to take any better photographs than my K-x because I believe the most important part of any image is the photographer him/herself, the camera is a tool, however this K-5 makes life a whole lot easier when it comes to automation and ease of use, with this camera you can change anything on the fly, and once you figure out the camera it will all come to you naturally and you really wont have to think about your settings after a while. I noticed that when ever I wanted to change something on the K-x, I had to go through the menu and take the time out and set my setting, with the K-5 I find that with the use of the edials it just works.
The first time I took a shot I thought it was broken because of how quiet the shutter was compared to my K-x, this thing is quiet and is one solid feeling piece of equipment in my hands, and I even tried out different makes of similar cameras and they just felt cheap compared to the K-5, heck they feel cheap compared to the K-x.
I still find myself going back to my K-x and using it, but my wife has laid claim to it and doesn't want me messing with any of the settings on it because she is going through some photography basic training right now. She doesn't yet see why I needed the K-5 yet, but I know for a fact that once she learns how to photograph with the K-x and gets pretty good at it, she will really want one once she picks up my K-5 with some knowledge of photography, Im just counting down the days till then, I will jump on another K-5 in a heartbeat so that she can have one, but for right now she wants to learn on the K-x because to her it is more "basic" than the K-5, and until she learns, she wants it to be as simple as possible.
Dude you really should jump on getting a K-5, especially at these prices, they are going to sell out fast, This is a lot of camera for the money, I got mine for $1067 and that is a killer deal as well. Dont let your K-r go though, it will still serve you well as a second or backup camera.

PS: another huge feature I really like about the K-5 is the LCD screen on top of the camera, now I never really use the rear screen, all the information I need is on top of the camera or in the VF, the Kx was a little harder to use because I would usually just look through the VF because I don't like using the rear screen much at all, now I can just glance at the top of the camera.
03-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Yep!.....a LOT quieter.
03-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #13
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Boy I am real tempted too. My Kx is still a nice camera but I do miss some of the controls.

@birddude007: Do you find the AF faster and more accurate than the Kx? Also, I have heard many say that they felt their lenses seemed to produce better images. Did you notice any with the change up from the Kx to the K5? This may just be due to the sensor or better AF algorithm, or AF microadjustments.
03-20-2012, 06:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

In a word - Yes. I was amazed at how quiet it is in comparison to both my former K-r and my current K-x. I even posted a couple comments here about that fact when I first was shooting with it. If you're asking is it quiet enough for Church, no. Is is significantly quieter and quiet enough to decrease the risk of alerting wildlife - yes.
03-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
Yep!.....a LOT quieter.
Oh yes. Huge difference.

Guys, if you're at all questioning it, just get it (the K-5 that is). Seriously, you'll never regret it. I've been using mine for the past year now, and even still find more to love with every passing day. The IQ that comes off of it is just nothing short of stellar. You're not going to get anything close to this good anywhere else.

The only weakness of the K-5 I would have to say is the AF. However, that is only in the context of sports. For anything else, the AF is plenty fast enough (unless the lens has slow AF).