Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #16
Site Supporter

It is never a smart idea to discuss features just by price.
If you want silver, pay for it. If you don't want to pay for it, don't blame Pentax.

Pentax should present a follow up of the K5 rather than collecting money with silver cameras.

03-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
We ended up buying a 2nd K5 for $999. It would have been nice to have one of each color but not for $350.

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
It is never a smart idea to discuss features just by price.
If you want silver, pay for it. If you don't want to pay for it, don't blame Pentax.

Pentax should present a follow up of the K5 rather than collecting money with silver cameras.
03-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy97 Quote
We ended up buying a 2nd K5 for $999. It would have been nice to have one of each color but not for $350.
That is exactly what I ended up doing couldn't justify the added cost just for silver..

JJ
03-24-2012, 12:39 AM   #19

Then again, imagine if the price drop didn't occur. You could still pay $1200 for the Black K-5 and still love it to bits.

I'm always about getting what you want. If it is too expensive, then you don't want it.

03-24-2012, 01:59 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If the silver version was black and white only and removed the bayer colour filter in front of the lens it would be worth it ;-)
03-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
I think that's backwards.

I think the 2011 with different grip and hardened glass and silver "SR" logo is the "LIMITED" edition.

And the 2012 regular body with some silver paint and red "SR" logo is the "SPECIAL" edition.
Hah Ha I think you are right. I went back to DPR again and they mix Special and Limited all together in their headlines and Intro block. It isn't until you get to the text that you get the real definition. Here's the intro block for the new one aith the DA40XS kit.

PENTAX K-5 SILVER SPECIAL EDITION AN EXCLUSIVE LIMITED-EDITION CAMERA PACKAGE FEATURING A MARC NEWSON-DESIGNED ULTRA-THIN LENS

Either way, my point is they are different enough that they are unique and not a broken promise. Just two different limited runs in silver paint.
03-24-2012, 07:17 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Why should they deny collectors the ability to collect limited edition bodies just to suit your sensibilities? By your non-qualified (IMHO) use of subjunctive you assert you represent the collective judgement of the camera community, which you do not.
03-24-2012, 07:22 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
To each his own. In Sinapore, there are a few who bought the Silver Limited Edition when it first came out in 2011. With the special edition, those who missed out on the Limited would go for the Special. For me it's still a black as I tend to use it in the rain and down want the "silver" paint to peel off.

03-30-2012, 05:02 PM   #24

I will use my K5 Silver special edition under the sun Im still waiting for B&H to ship it though.
03-30-2012, 09:05 PM   #25
Veteran Member

for $200 i'll paint it any colour you want, or silver or gold leaf the thing. that's a $150 savings.
03-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

The black versions used to be "desirable" but in reality, the paint can chip, they "brass" fairly easy and heat up faster when left in the sun. They still sold at a premium price simply because people liked them (and still do). Now Silver cameras are offered to those that want something different than the basic black.

How is this any different from other consumer items? People spend more for special editions of cars, which have some additional trim, possibly nicer wheels, and people don't question it.

I'm not sure where the "photography = utilitarianism" rule came from.

Last edited by SteveM; 03-30-2012 at 09:59 PM.
03-31-2012, 12:42 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
The black versions used to be "desirable" but in reality, the paint can chip, they "brass" fairly easy and heat up faster when left in the sun. They still sold at a premium price simply because people liked them (and still do). Now Silver cameras are offered to those that want something different than the basic black.

How is this any different from other consumer items? People spend more for special editions of cars, which have some additional trim, possibly nicer wheels, and people don't question it.

I'm not sure where the "photography = utilitarianism" rule came from.

Right...so 30% more for just the paint is OK...how did I not realized until now...
03-31-2012, 07:20 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote
Right...so 30% more for just the paint is OK...how did I not realized until now...
Sarcasm aside..... Every time Pentax releases a limited edition model, there is a thread started like this one. Not inferring you, but many people seem to be surprised at the additional cost, even though it has been a standard practice since the 1950s.

Many people, myself included, like collecting items that are a little different than the rest. Come to think of it. that's probably one of the reasons I stick with Pentax over Canikon.

Last edited by SteveM; 03-31-2012 at 07:31 AM.
03-31-2012, 10:51 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I love the silver and was set to get it but things didn't go as planned and ended up with a black one, however I really don't think it will affect my photos

JJ
03-31-2012, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy97 Quote
Who in their right mind would pay an extra $350 for this cam? Do you think Pentax will reduce the price by $200 to match the black version?
Who says camera hobbyists are in their right mind?