Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2012, 07:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K5 Silver Price Premium

I originally had a K5 Silver on order with Adorama. I didn't want to pay the $150 premium for silver but my wife really wanted it. Plus, I really don't want two identical cameras in the house. There's something really lame about that.

Well, once the K5 got reduced to $999 it made the K5 Silver $350 more expensive. Totally not worth it to me.

Question is: Who in their right mind would pay an extra $350 for this cam? Do you think Pentax will reduce the price by $200 to match the black version?

Last edited by krebsy75; 03-21-2012 at 08:10 AM.
03-21-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd just get the black one if that's the case.

Silver is nice if you plan on using silver lenses (FA 31, FA 43, FA 77, etc), and so it should command a premium yes. But $350 in comparison to the black k-5, that is a bit much.

I don't think they will drop the silver k-5 price though - this $999 price is supposed to be until the end of the month - I assume it will return to it's original price afterwards. If not, then maybe a price drop on the silver version is possible.
03-21-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Is this like to old silver version with a different grip and hardened glass?
03-21-2012, 07:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

From reading another thread, it does not appear to have a different grip.

03-21-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Why is the k-5 being discussed in the k-01 forum?
03-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oops. My mistake. Please move accordingly.

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Why is the k-5 being discussed in the k-01 forum?
03-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Is this like to old silver version with a different grip and hardened glass?
The March, 2011 release with the special grip, special glass LCD and special focusing screen (etched for composition) was the Special Edition.

The March 2012 release is an ordincary K-5 with some body parts painted silver. It is called the Limited Edition.

They are different cameras.

03-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There are people out there who are willing to pay $1600 for a silver version of a $800 camera- and so Pentax keeps the prices high

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by adam Quote
there are 1500 people out there who are willing to pay $1600 for a silver version of a $800 camera- and so pentax keeps the prices high
fify :d
03-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #10
Banned

Keep your wife happy and she will keep you happy
03-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #11

Hi All ! Glad I found and registered in this forum. So, I've decided to get the K5 before the end of the week. Ive used Nikon , Canon, and sony before, but never had a Pentax Camera .
I really like the silver coming out soon($1599), but the black for $999 is insane and is enticing. I understand wot krebsy97 is saying and we all know he wants the silver too ! ( yes, Im still sane )
$350 is $350 , but, Im still gearing to get the silver. To justify my purchase, this is wot I think...and this is just me, ok ?

The Black ones which pro'lly been on stock for a while come with original parts which may or may not go bad, and most K5 owners pro'lly know wot they are... VS...
The Silver which is newly built, must have new and improve parts INSIDE (and im not talking about the grip nor the improved screen like the 1st silver edition) , hence, the high price.
Same casing as the orginal black but this time in Sexy Silver with matching silver lens. I like to call it sexy silver, as Im sure it will turn heads once you take it out of your bag.
03-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
haha....until the bill comes. Then I'm not happy!

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Keep your wife happy and she will keep you happy
03-21-2012, 10:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The March, 2011 release with the special grip, special glass LCD and special focusing screen (etched for composition) was the Special Edition.

The March 2012 release is an ordincary K-5 with some body parts painted silver. It is called the Limited Edition.

They are different cameras.
I think that's backwards.

I think the 2011 with different grip and hardened glass and silver "SR" logo is the "LIMITED" edition.

And the 2012 regular body with some silver paint and red "SR" logo is the "SPECIAL" edition.
03-21-2012, 11:34 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by okular Quote
Hi All ! Glad I found and registered in this forum. So, I've decided to get the K5 before the end of the week. Ive used Nikon , Canon, and sony before, but never had a Pentax Camera .
To justify my purchase, this is wot I think...and this is just me, ok ?

The Black ones which pro'lly been on stock for a while come with original parts which may or may not go bad, and most K5 owners pro'lly know wot they are... VS...
The Silver which is newly built, must have new and improve parts INSIDE (and im not talking about the grip nor the improved screen like the 1st silver edition) , hence, the high price.
Same casing as the orginal black but this time in Sexy Silver with matching silver lens. I like to call it sexy silver, as Im sure it will turn heads once you take it out of your bag.
Or maybe they took the oldest produced K-5's and they put the silver paint over the black and voila, the "special" edition!
03-21-2012, 11:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote
Or maybe they took the oldest produced K-5's and they put the silver paint over the black and voila, the "special" edition!
These are the 1500 they got back from the sensor stain issue, they finally got around to swapping the sensors and repainted them to hide any scuff marks...