Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
this is an old camera, isn't it?

Sitting on the train from Stockholm to Göteborg (from capital of Sweden to the 2nd largest city of Sweden), trying to finish a power point presentation for tomorrow.
Just thought I should share this.

20 minutes ago I went to the restaurant wagon to get something to eat, with the K-5 around my neck.
When I get to the cashier, the girl behind the desk, somewhere around 25 years old or so, grabbed my K-5 and said "ths is an old camera, isn't it?".
"No", I tried to explain, sensing that here might be a camera interested person who had just not been exposed to Pentax before. "it is quite new, only about a year old". She looked skeptical while I tried to explain that it is currently the APS-C DSLR with the highest dynamic range. "But it looks sort of retro, doesn't it?". "Yes, I said, but retro is modern now, right?"
I suppose that after all the lowly plastic entrance level Canons with kit zoom's that she had seen all over, the K-5 with the DA21 limited on it, the retro style, compactness and metallic feeling, was new to her.
This sort of reactions from people make me think that Pentax has got a potential here if they just do some marketing.

Looks like Olympus is trying to copy Pentax now with their OM look-alike DSLR. But who would want a digital OM camera with just a 4/3rd sensor? Yes to a K-5 (or OM) with APS-C sensor with faster processor and improved features here and there, yes to a K-5 (or OM) with a full frame sensor, but who would want a K-5 (or OM) with a 4/3rd sensor??? If I would buy a 4/3rd sensor camera I certainly would like the trade off in sensor size give me an extremely compact body.

03-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks for a fun story. What lens did you have on it?
03-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'd be a little offended at some grabbing at my camera while it's hanging my neck

The OMD's got a lot going for it with the 4/3s sensor though, according to sample pictures and rave reviewers
03-21-2012, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
Thanks for a fun story. What lens did you have on it?
The DA 21 ltd (already mentioned).

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I'd be a little offended at some grabbing at my camera while it's hanging my neck

The OMD's got a lot going for it with the 4/3s sensor though, according to sample pictures and rave reviewers
As long as it is a girl and she doesn't start with stating "how small it is"...

03-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
The DA 21 ltd (already mentioned).

As long as it is a girl and she doesn't start with stating "how small it is"...
Well, now, with that in mind, I'm going to walk around with my Tamron 70-200 F2.8 hanging from around my neck. Neck pain be-damned, no girl is going to ever say "how small it is" to me!

You have the normal black k-5 right? It's still surprising for anyone who has seen any sort of dslr to automatically think "old" when looking at the k-5. Most people shouldn't even notice any differences between a k-5 and say a t3i. Besides the label, of course.
03-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Well, actually it IS quite different. It's the only current DSLR with an angular VF casing. Kind of like the old cameras.
03-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K7 and K5 do look a little retro compared to the canikon and Sony offering so i can see it. Funnier still is when someone asks to see my k7 so i hand it to them and they say It won't focus what am I doing wrong? 85% of the time I have a MF lens on for walkabout lol

03-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Well, actually it IS quite different. It's the only current DSLR with an angular VF casing. Kind of like the old cameras.
What I mean is, your average Joe and Joellete will not notice minute details like that. To most people, the camera below is an "old" camera:

I do agree that having the DA 21 on it gives it a more retro look compared to the thousands and thousands of T3is with 18-55s or 70-300s out there.
03-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
What I mean is, your average Joe and Joellete will not notice minute details like that. To most people, the camera below is an "old" camera:

I do agree that having the DA 21 on it gives it a more retro look compared to the thousands and thousands of T3is with 18-55s or 70-300s out there.

I think just having any LTD prime on it will evoke that reaction
03-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I think just having any LTD prime on it will evoke that reaction
Those crazy short silver metal lenses that look like they belong in the 80s~ Everyone knows lenses should be made with plastic!
03-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I wouldn't describe the K5 as looking old or retro itself, but the "limited" lenses have a kinda retro feel with their size and build quality. I brought in my K5 to work yesterday to show my co-worker. He had never held a Pentax DSLR and was amazed at the solid build of the K5 and weatherproofing....then he heard the quiet shutter and saw a quick high ISO shot and was really impressed.....then I broke out my limited collection and he was uber impressed.

I was hoping the K-01 would have had a more retro design like the new Olympus or very popular/gorgeous X100 vs. the modern look they went with. I can just image a X100-ish design with any of the gorgeous limited lenses.

Fact is, even while performance will always win over, as much as we carry our cameras they do become a fashion accessory of sorts. People...such as that girl...will comment of the aesthetic value of the camera vs. the performance especially if it is a design they have not seen before.
03-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abieleck Quote
I wouldn't describe the K5 as looking old or retro itself, but the "limited" lenses have a kinda retro feel with their size and build quality. I brought in my K5 to work yesterday to show my co-worker. He had never held a Pentax DSLR and was amazed at the solid build of the K5 and weatherproofing....then he heard the quiet shutter and saw a quick high ISO shot and was really impressed.....then I broke out my limited collection and he was uber impressed.

I was hoping the K-01 would have had a more retro design like the new Olympus or very popular/gorgeous X100 vs. the modern look they went with. I can just image a X100-ish design with any of the gorgeous limited lenses.

Fact is, even while performance will always win over, as much as we carry our cameras they do become a fashion accessory of sorts. People...such as that girl...will comment of the aesthetic value of the camera vs. the performance especially if it is a design they have not seen before.
the first FF will be an LX-D with interchangeable finders that will be retro. (and unique)
(just spouting hope no real knowledge here)
03-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Did you get her number?
03-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Good story ...

Bonsoir,

Thanks for shairing ... but she really grabbed your K-5?! I would have kind of freaked at that move ...

Salut, J
03-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poitiers Quote
Bonsoir,

Thanks for shairing ... but she really grabbed your K-5?! I would have kind of freaked at that move ...

Salut, J
She can grab my K-10 any time