Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter

HDR Settings

I'm starting to do some HDR photography, shooting in raw, with both the K-5 and K-7; and I'm finding the manual, at least the K-5 one, a bit murky as to the best settings. I want the mirror to lock up on the first shot and remain up for the entire sequence of shots. It should also rise and lock a few seconds before the first exposure to ensure a steady camera throughout the sequence. The camera would be mounted on a tripod. What settings will best accomplish this? My reading of the manual suggests that I cannot get the exact sequence of actions I want.

03-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
With my K20D, I can set a 2 second timer delay which causes mirror lockup. Mirror lockup happens and then the sequence should start after the pause. With my K200D that option does not exist, but still, I have never had a blurred photo in the sequence when I can't use mirror lockup. (With the K200D you have to press the shutter and hold it down for the entire sequence or take each photo in the sequence by pressing the shutter each time.)

It's probably easier with the K5, but check out the 2 second timer delay option. It's probably the key.
03-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Enable one-push bracketing (Custom menu option #9)

Select bracketing drive mode, or bracketing with wireless remote (depending on whether you're using a wired or wireless shutter release.)

Compose/focus/etc.

Hit the LV button to lock the mirror up.

Wait as long as you'd like for the mirror to settle.

Hit your shutter release to take the pictures.
03-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, Live View does what you'd like. Here are another couple of helpful settings for shooting Raw brackets for HDR (as opposed to using the built-in HDR function, which is actually exposure fusion and produces a JPEG!) with your K-5:

Custom setting #8 -Auto Bracketing Order, set to "2" so your fastest shutter speeds go first, which will reduce the chance of ghosts between exposures.

E-Dial Programming, set "M" (manual) mode "Green Button" function to TvShift. No idea why, but this green button setting also controls how your Auto-Exposure Bracketing will get the different exposures when set in that mode. (In this case, only varying the shutter speed - if you leave it unset or choose AvShift, it will (also) vary your aperture, screwing with your DOF!)

03-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
cpk
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, all, for your responses. I just ran some tests on my K-7 with both the remote control and cable switch. Both worked like a charm. I never knew that about Live View, that the mirror is locked up; nor does the manual seem to indicate it as a way to accomplish this. I don't use Live View because I wear variable-focus glasses and craning backwards to see the screen hurts my neck.