Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's not something that will break your camera. If you do want to get rid of it, you can remove the focusing screen and clean it on both sides. It is a little bit harder to do, but many people have done it.

I just ignore it, you rarely will notice it while using the camera.

03-23-2012, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

It would probably be enough to just unclip the latch that holds the focusing screen, then aim the blower at it while it's leaning forward. That said, don't. It's just not worth messing with, as this is something that will periodically happen with any DSLR, and it doesn't have an effect on your ability to take pictures.

It's definitely not something requiring service or replacement.
03-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These dots are nnot in the light path that excites the sensor. The are on the focusing screen or mirror. While the ymight be annoying they have no effect on the image. I don't even see them any more in my camera - my mind blots them out
03-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you search the focussing screen threads you can see what it takes to drop the screen and use the rocket blower on it. It is actually pretty easy to do, but I suggest protecting the mirror with a piece of lens paper first. Those specs would drive me crazy so I would take care of it. That said, I have changed focussing screens so I am pretty comfortable with the surgery. If you can live with them, then let them be your friends.

03-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kamisu Quote
So no one considers this serious to try replacing the camera ?
No. You will not get a replacement.
03-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Tread lightly with "rocket" blowers. You can easily make matters worse.
03-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #22

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I think I better wait for the lens to arrive to see how bad it is. I prefer not to mess with focusing screen right now, sine this is my first dslr and I am not experienced in any kind of such adjustments. Also it looks like it can happen occasionally, so either I should learn to ignore it or learn to clean it.

03-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Visible dust specs in the viewfinder are always above or below the focus screen. Dust on the mirror isn't visible because it's not in focus by the time it hits the focus screen.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
These dots are nnot in the light path that excites the sensor. The are on the focusing screen or mirror. While the ymight be annoying they have no effect on the image. I don't even see them any more in my camera - my mind blots them out
03-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Don't fuss with anything in the body cavity. You will only make matters worse.

Eventually, dust will appear on your focus screen. Having said that, I'd be irked as well if a brand new cam had them. It's up to u if u want to deal with the return hassle.

QuoteOriginally posted by kamisu Quote
Thanks everyone. I think I better wait for the lens to arrive to see how bad it is. I prefer not to mess with the it right now, sine this is my first dslr and I am not experienced in any kind of such adjustments.
03-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #25

Original Poster
krebsy97 , yes it is not pleasant on a new one, but SpecialK says it is not accepted for replacement. Is it ? Although since all say it will happen sooner or later, I am not considering it.
03-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #26
Veteran Member

This is bad advice for someone new to DSLRs. Please don't take offense. Ideally, focus screens should only be handled while getting replaced. It's very, very difficult to clean them in-place without making matters worse.

Focus screens should not be handled, period. You need a special tool to do the job and even then it can be dicey.

If it were my cam and it there was dust in the viewfinder, I'd remove the focus screen (using the special tool) and use a blower once it's outside the camera. If dust remains, I'd use a special focus screen cleaner from Visible Dust (Visible Dust Focusing Screen Swab (12-Pack) 3530044 B&H Photo) along with their solution to get the stubborn dust off.

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
If you search the focussing screen threads you can see what it takes to drop the screen and use the rocket blower on it. It is actually pretty easy to do, but I suggest protecting the mirror with a piece of lens paper first. Those specs would drive me crazy so I would take care of it. That said, I have changed focussing screens so I am pretty comfortable with the surgery. If you can live with them, then let them be your friends.
03-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #27
Veteran Member

This won't work if dust is above the focus screen.

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Those are probably little specks of dust that can be removed with the Giotti rocket blower you should buy.

Last edited by krebsy75; 03-24-2012 at 07:06 AM.
03-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #28
Veteran Member

The viewfinder is 100% optical. It operates the same regardless if the camera has power or not.

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I wouldn't think so, but I know they suggest you fully charge the battery the firs time. This may have more to do with the lithium battery than the camera. Be patient. Remember, the viewfinder is looking at a mirror and prism blending several light paths etc. which may cause it to look different without power.

Now you have me curious, I'll have to look through the VF after removing the battery.
03-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #29
Veteran Member

My 2c:

The more you open up the body and blow stuff around, the more likely that you will end up with dust and dirt landing on your sensor. A few flecks of stuff on the focus screen won't get in the way of your images, but dust and dirt on your sensor will.
03-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy97 Quote
This is bad advice for someone new to DSLRs. Please don't take offense. Ideally, focus screens should only be handled while getting replaced. It's very, very difficult to clean them in-place without making matters worse.

Focus screens should not be handled, period. You need a special tool to do the job and even then it can be dicey.

If it were my cam and it there was dust in the viewfinder, I'd remove the focus screen (using the special tool) and use a blower once it's outside the camera. If dust remains, I'd use a special focus screen cleaner from Visible Dust (Visible Dust Focusing Screen Swab (12-Pack) 3530044 B&H Photo) along with their solution to get the stubborn dust off.
Not to cause a fight, but I fail to see how telling someone to search the site to make their decision about what to do is bad advice. BTW, I found the special tool that works the best to be a pair of tweezers.

Probably the best advice is to get the Pentax extended warranty if residing in the USA. It is $20 and extends the warranty from 1 year to 3 years. You also get one free cleaning and adjustment. They will clean the screen if you tell them to do it.

FWIW, I guess that I am lucky. I have never found the blower to cause more harm.

Last edited by lammie200; 03-23-2012 at 05:50 PM.