Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #31
Veteran Member

What this guy said. We've learned the hard way.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
My 2c:

The more you open up the body and blow stuff around, the more likely that you will end up with dust and dirt landing on your sensor. A few flecks of stuff on the focus screen won't get in the way of your images, but dust and dirt on your sensor will.

03-23-2012, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
kamisu, the smartest thing you can do right now is to stop poking around in the delicate guts of your expensive new camera, put the body cap back on it and leave it on until you get your lens. this is the viewfinder of my old k110d, which works perfectly.
03-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
oh my some answers are just well dumb, its dust dont worry it will have no effect on your images (which i might add is why you bought the camera), learn to live with it it will return. concentrate on taking photos an dont mind the little things so much.
03-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #34
Inactive Account

Is it with other brands too?

03-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lnb14 Quote
Is it with other brands too?
This happens with any brand of DSLR that has a changeable focusing screen. The viewfinder/focusing screen is not airtight, so inevitably a few bits of dust find their way in and get trapped.
03-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #36

Original Poster
I put the body cap back on and wait for the lens. Thanks all for the replies. Updated firmware easily and checked shutter count, was 0, and manufacturing date was Sept 2011. Should be free of sensor stains.
03-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I hate dust on my focusing screen, everytime I get it dirty I have to clean it
If it doesn't cost too much to get it replaced, I would replace it.

03-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #38

Original Poster
Verglace, but if as everyone says it attracts dust again, what is the point in replacing it ?

Replace, do not replace, clean, do not clean, to be or not to be

BTW, it is from ADORAMA, any one knows how much it would cost to replace ?
03-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #39
Veteran Member

The only reason to replace the focusing screen is if it gets scratched up, or, if you want something better for manual focusing, like a Katzeye screen or one from focusingscreen.com.

It's simple enough to swap them out yourself, but you need a steady hand and the ability to follow a tutorial properly. If replacing the screen with anything but a stock screen, shimming may be required, which can get tedious. You'd do well to search for one of the several threads about this, if you want to learn more.

Bottom line though, unless you manage to scratch it up, it's not worth replacing it with another stock screen. Chances are you would introduce more dust in the process of doing that. They're very soft and fragile, and susceptible to scratching if you're not extremely careful. Best to leave it alone.
03-24-2012, 07:04 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you blow and it does not go away, then it is inside the pentaprism area, behind the focusing screen. There is nothing to worry about. Our K5 uses an optical view finder, not a Electronic view finder so charging the battery to view or not makes no difference.
03-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kamisu Quote
...it is from ADORAMA...
As I have written, if you live in the USA you might want to consider getting the Pentax extended warranty.
03-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #42

Original Poster
Lammie200, I have ordered the 2 yrs extended warranty too (20$), but it looks even the original warranty does not cover dust on focus screen, as some say, or at least does not worth the trouble. It looks like it will happen all the time. Well, on a brand new one, not pleasant.
03-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Replace, do not replace, clean, do not clean, to be or not to be
Reminds me of this guy...

03-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Lammie200, I have ordered the 2 yrs extended warranty too (20$), but it looks even the original warranty does not cover dust on focus screen, as some say, or at least does not worth the trouble. It looks like it will happen all the time. Well, on a brand new one, not pleasant.
You get one free cleaning and adjustment as part of the warranty. So you can rest assured that someday if you ever want to part with your camera for a few weeks (and pay for shipping) you can have it cleaned. That said, just shipping a camera around can probably cause dust to dislodge. My camera had dust on its sensor when I received it new. Blew it off, no problem. As some have said, the top of the focussing screen is not sealed so dust can find its way there. It isn't completely exposed like the mirror and sensor, so it is less likely to recurr as often.

If I were you I would live with it for a while and research the focussing screen replacement procedure. There are even some videos that show how its done. Continue to ask questions here on the forum. You may eventually feel comfortable doing it. If you have good eyes, good light, steady hands, and understand a little bit about industrial design, it really is not that difficult to drop the screen. But shoot first, ask questions later!

P.S. You might want to get a rocket blower anyway. As many have said, dust is an ineviability, whether it will reside on the mirror, sensor, or focussing screen. Many people here will recommend a rocket blower as the first method of taking care of it.
03-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wait wait, you don't even know where the dust is. Are you sure its not on the viewfinder? At least wait until you have a lens and everything, then see its true effect.