Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #16
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I jumped off the fence and ordered a K5! I have been looking at the options of a K-01 v. GXR (hoping for a K mountor) v. other. Then when the price dropped on the K5 I had to jump at the chance! Should be here in 2 days!! (Adam I did order thru the link. )

03-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #17
MSM
Veteran Member

I am busy going thru the manual and this sub forum to learn all that I can. Fortunately, having had the K10 and the Kx, many of the menus and lay out are similar.
03-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
Midlife isn't the only crisis.
Okay then..., five-eighths-life crisis?

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
I went over 20 years without buying a camera, content with my old film Leicas and Pentax. Then I retired, and heard about the Leica M9 when I still had my retirement bonus. Then came the K-5, and... Well, I don't have my bonus anymore.

Wait a minute, Actually, you do still have your bonus. You just converted it into something far more interesting and useful (and maybe even meaningful, depending on what you photograph). If a K-5 isn't a bonus to a photographer, then nothing is.
03-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #19
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Guys, if you are having a mid-life crisis then remember that a mid-life crisis camera is cheaper than a mid-life crisis car, and both together are way cheaper (by an exponential factor) than a mid-life crisis woman change.

I summary - if in mid-life crisis - buy the camera, think about the car and stay clear of changing women. Then you will have both a new camera, and spare change to spend on lenses :-), all for much less than you would spend on a divorce lawyer, let alone the settlement.

My little piece of wisdom for the day.

03-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Guys, if you are having a mid-life crisis then remember that a mid-life crisis camera is cheaper than a mid-life crisis car...
Never fear. I would never waste money on a car. I'm still driving the same 1994 model that I bought in 2002.

It's still in nearly new condition, though, thanks to the previous owner and "thanks" to the price of gas these last nine years.

and both together are way cheaper (by an exponential factor) than a mid-life crisis woman change.
I first need to find a woman that I can then exchange for another one (or not).

I summary - if in mid-life crisis - buy the camera...
My point-and-shoot sure hasn't filled the bill these last nine years, although it has tried valiantly. The K-5, on the other hand, well, it's in a class by itself (until the "K-5n" arrives?).

think about the car and stay clear of changing women. Then you will have both a new camera, and spare change to spend on lenses :-), all for much less than you would spend on a divorce lawyer, let alone the settlement.
I'm not into cars (except maybe a Tesla, which will remain forever a fantasy), and I can't find any women around this neck of the prairie to steer clear of.

My little piece of wisdom for the day.
Thanks.
03-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It will never be this price again. PLEASE - does anyone really believe that? Just not the way electronics work. It is a great camera but I want to see the new ones first. Ymmv.
thanks
barondla
03-24-2012, 09:44 PM   #22
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Welfl Quote
I first need to find a woman that I can then exchange for another one (or not)
I can't guarantee you anything, but I shoot lots of lovely girls with my K5.......and we have plenty around here!
[IMG] [/IMG]

The K5 is great for studio shooting, or most anything else. We all know Squirrels love it, and girls seem to feel the same too.
Regards!

03-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
It will never be this price again. PLEASE - does anyone really believe that?
No, I sure don't; however, things here in Pentax World sometimes appear not to work the same way as they do in the rest of the world, so I've hesitated to state the obvious, even though the real-world odds should be on my side.

Just not the way electronics work.
That's exactly what I've been saying. Here's hoping that Ricoh behaves more like a real-world business than Hoya did. Famous last words, right?

It is a great camera but I want to see the new ones first. Ymmv.
I want to see the new ones before the K-5 sale ends. Is that really asking too much? Yeah, I know. I have a better chance of winning the lottery.
03-24-2012, 10:31 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
I think I will mary it
... and have children?

Greetings
03-24-2012, 10:41 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I can't guarantee you anything, but I shoot lots of lovely girls with my K5.......and we have plenty around here!
That's the nicest offer I've had in a long time! I think I will accept.

Back in the "good old days" I used to shoot lovely girls on occasion with my Minolta SR-T 101 and Sears KS-500. I was often surrounded by them in those days. They were not yet too averse to my presence at that time because I was not yet a sore sight for eyes.

P.S. Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't you very closely associated to the attractive model in your picture?
03-24-2012, 11:16 PM   #26
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
P.S. Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't you very closely associated to the attractive model in your picture?
Nah, she is just one of my "girls" that does some modeling to help me learn the techniques of studio shooting......you might be thinking of Mrs Rupert...she's a keeper too!
It is hard to believe Mrs Rupert is almost 40 years older than that model......but she is. I take very good care of my equipment! Here Mrs Rupert is carrying my lens bag for me......can't beat that!
[IMG] [/IMG]

We have blonds too...lots of blonds! They like the K5 too!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Come on down, bring a K5, we'll find you something!

Best Regards!
03-25-2012, 04:28 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Never fear. I would never waste money on a car. I'm still driving the same 1994 model that I bought in 2002.
Spendthrift! I still drive a 1973 Beetle...
03-25-2012, 05:58 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Crisis? What Crisis?

All bought NIB

2006 K10D
2004 Subaru
1956 Woman

Oh Wait.
2012 LX. SF1n. K-01. K200/2.5
And its only March. There's still the K-(letter), K-3, K-02, and K-1 (LX-D) to go.
03-25-2012, 08:18 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
1956 Woman
Ha! I like the way you put that.
03-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #30

you might be thinking of Mrs Rupert...she's a keeper too! It is hard to believe Mrs Rupert is almost 40 years older than that model......but she is. I take very good care of my equipment! Here Mrs Rupert is carrying my lens bag for me......can't beat that!
Yes, I was thinking of Mrs. Rupert. I think I've seen at least one picture of each of these women before (in one picture your wife is talking to another woman at some gathering, right?). Yes, she is certainly a keeper, and, no, I sincerely cannot believe there is a 40-year difference in their ages!

Come on down, bring a K5, we'll find you something!
"Something" is open to incredible amounts of interpretation.

Once I cross over into Texas, it will be hard to miss your house, right?