Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2012, 01:25 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K5 IR conversion?

Has anybody already tried converting the K5 for full spectrum or infrared?

I've read this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/174809-removing-aa-filte...ml#post1818395
An read through the links in that thread. And it seems like removing the AA filter and maintaining IQ performance is impossible.

So, how would that affect the IR pass filter? Would that be different? Or would that suffer from the same problems as removing the the AA filter.

With the price of the K5, I could buy one just to convert to IR. Have one modded for IR and one without a AA pass filter would be absolutely terrific for me.

03-26-2012, 03:32 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I read the same. i was interested in removing the aa filter but it seems to cause problems. I dont know about the ir filter though. Goodluck!
03-26-2012, 03:50 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrjamesabels Quote
Goodluck!
Thanks! But I'm not brave nor technically knowledgeable or experienced enough to just try this out myself. I was just wondering if anybody already did it.

As for the AA, I can't really understand why they're used in DSLR's at all. DSLR's are bought by photo-enthusiast, and such people all do at least some PP. Removing moiré locally in PP takes about 3 seconds. It's not worth the sacrifice in sharpness.
03-26-2012, 06:12 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Has anybody already tried converting the K5 for full spectrum or infrared?

I've read this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/174809-removing-aa-filte...ml#post1818395
An read through the links in that thread. And it seems like removing the AA filter and maintaining IQ performance is impossible.

So, how would that affect the IR pass filter? Would that be different? Or would that suffer from the same problems as removing the the AA filter.

With the price of the K5, I could buy one just to convert to IR. Have one modded for IR and one without a AA pass filter would be absolutely terrific for me.
Advancerd Camera systems will mod one for you for about £250 + VAT and delivery.

I have a K20D just done and an istD done a few years ago. They service them as well.

The output from the K20 / K7 sensor will lend its self to IR I think. Not tried it in anger yet.

Bill

03-27-2012, 05:22 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Billgscott Quote
Advancerd Camera systems will mod one for you for about £250 + VAT and delivery.

I have a K20D just done and an istD done a few years ago. They service them as well.

The output from the K20 / K7 sensor will lend its self to IR I think. Not tried it in anger yet.

Bill
Yes, but my point was about the K5. Appearently the K5 is special in a way that the AA filter cannot be removed without influencing the K5's performance.

Does that apply to the IR filter too?
03-27-2012, 06:38 AM   #6
Pentaxian

When converting a camera to K-5 you also have to adjust the AF system. Otherwise you end up with a manual focus camera.

In Germany is a company that does that.
Optic Makario
03-28-2012, 01:29 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Yes, but my point was about the K5. Appearently the K5 is special in a way that the AA filter cannot be removed without influencing the K5's performance.

Does that apply to the IR filter too?
Pass on that one. Drop them a mail. They do reposition the sensor and re-calibrate though so the autofocus works.

No issues on my K20 or istD.

Bill
02-19-2013, 04:00 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote

In Germany is a company that does that.
Optic Makario
Sadly they do not on a K5 as they answered me today.

04-30-2013, 05:11 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi all,

Foto Maerz in Berlin / Hamburg remove the IR-cut filter that is installed in front of the sensor of the K5 for around 170 Euro. I do not know if they add IR-pass filters, as I did not ask.

Foto Maerz - Sonderanfertigungen

Cheers from Berlin,

jephi

Last edited by jephi; 04-30-2013 at 05:47 AM.
04-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jephi Quote
Hi all,

Foto Maerz in Berlin / Hamburg remove the IR-cut filter that is installed in front of the sensor of the K5 for around 170 Euro. I do not know if they add IR-pass filters, as I did not ask.

Foto Maerz - Sonderanfertigungen

Cheers from Berlin,

jephi
Yes and they probably would put in an IR-filter if you provide that with the camera. I did contacted them about that.