Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2012, 01:25 AM   #1
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,115
K5 IR conversion?

Has anybody already tried converting the K5 for full spectrum or infrared?

I've read this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/174809-removing-aa-filte...ml#post1818395
An read through the links in that thread. And it seems like removing the AA filter and maintaining IQ performance is impossible.

So, how would that affect the IR pass filter? Would that be different? Or would that suffer from the same problems as removing the the AA filter.

With the price of the K5, I could buy one just to convert to IR. Have one modded for IR and one without a AA pass filter would be absolutely terrific for me.

03-26-2012, 03:32 AM   #2
Senior Member
mrjamesabels's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NEW JERSEY USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 198
I read the same. i was interested in removing the aa filter but it seems to cause problems. I dont know about the ir filter though. Goodluck!
03-26-2012, 03:50 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,115
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrjamesabels Quote
Goodluck!
Thanks! But I'm not brave nor technically knowledgeable or experienced enough to just try this out myself. I was just wondering if anybody already did it.

As for the AA, I can't really understand why they're used in DSLR's at all. DSLR's are bought by photo-enthusiast, and such people all do at least some PP. Removing moiré locally in PP takes about 3 seconds. It's not worth the sacrifice in sharpness.
03-26-2012, 06:12 AM   #4
Senior Member
Billgscott's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: York
Posts: 235
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Has anybody already tried converting the K5 for full spectrum or infrared?

I've read this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/174809-removing-aa-filte...ml#post1818395
An read through the links in that thread. And it seems like removing the AA filter and maintaining IQ performance is impossible.

So, how would that affect the IR pass filter? Would that be different? Or would that suffer from the same problems as removing the the AA filter.

With the price of the K5, I could buy one just to convert to IR. Have one modded for IR and one without a AA pass filter would be absolutely terrific for me.
Advancerd Camera systems will mod one for you for about £250 + VAT and delivery.

I have a K20D just done and an istD done a few years ago. They service them as well.

The output from the K20 / K7 sensor will lend its self to IR I think. Not tried it in anger yet.

Bill

03-27-2012, 05:22 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,115
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Billgscott Quote
Advancerd Camera systems will mod one for you for about £250 + VAT and delivery.

I have a K20D just done and an istD done a few years ago. They service them as well.

The output from the K20 / K7 sensor will lend its self to IR I think. Not tried it in anger yet.

Bill
Yes, but my point was about the K5. Appearently the K5 is special in a way that the AA filter cannot be removed without influencing the K5's performance.

Does that apply to the IR filter too?
03-27-2012, 06:38 AM   #6
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,645
When converting a camera to K-5 you also have to adjust the AF system. Otherwise you end up with a manual focus camera.

In Germany is a company that does that.
Optic Makario
03-28-2012, 01:29 AM   #7
Senior Member
Billgscott's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: York
Posts: 235
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Yes, but my point was about the K5. Appearently the K5 is special in a way that the AA filter cannot be removed without influencing the K5's performance.

Does that apply to the IR filter too?
Pass on that one. Drop them a mail. They do reposition the sensor and re-calibrate though so the autofocus works.

No issues on my K20 or istD.

Bill
02-19-2013, 04:00 AM   #8
Junior Member
dasPaul's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Dresden,Saxony
Photos: Albums
Posts: 48
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote

In Germany is a company that does that.
Optic Makario
Sadly they do not on a K5 as they answered me today.

04-30-2013, 05:11 AM   #9
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Berlin
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 103
Hi all,

Foto Maerz in Berlin / Hamburg remove the IR-cut filter that is installed in front of the sensor of the K5 for around 170 Euro. I do not know if they add IR-pass filters, as I did not ask.

Foto Maerz - Sonderanfertigungen

Cheers from Berlin,


jephi

Last edited by jephi; 04-30-2013 at 05:47 AM.
04-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #10
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,645
QuoteOriginally posted by jephi Quote
Hi all,

Foto Maerz in Berlin / Hamburg remove the IR-cut filter that is installed in front of the sensor of the K5 for around 170 Euro. I do not know if they add IR-pass filters, as I did not ask.

Foto Maerz - Sonderanfertigungen

Cheers from Berlin,


jephi
Yes and they probably would put in an IR-filter if you provide that with the camera. I did contacted them about that.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, filter, ir, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax k-5, read, thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which body for IR conversion? dhodgeh Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 05-07-2011 12:47 AM
Clear/IR conversion wjt Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 05-01-2011 02:51 PM
Pentaz Kx IR Conversion! AlaskaIsCold Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 02-12-2011 06:57 AM
Architecture Conversion mdc Post Your Photos! 5 02-07-2011 02:36 PM
People The Conversion? Rupert Photo Critique 17 10-01-2010 07:28 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:02 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top