Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kamisu Quote
Unfortunately even at f/16 it is there, but not as dark as it is in f/32. I have used Rocket blower a couple of times, but they do not move. I think it is kinda stuck to the sensor.

Anything more effective I can do ?
Some people like to use brushes - examples include eyebrow brush (as a guy, I know nothing of this), artist brushes, and specific sensor brushes (google these).

I prefer the wet cleaning method from Eclipse (check amazon, Eclipse Sensor Cleaning system). It uses an alcohol liquid solution and has sensor swabs that you "swipe" gently across the sensor. Removed everything that my sticky Pentax stick Amazon.com: Pentax Image Sensor Cleaning Kit, O-ICK1: Camera & Photo and my Rocket Blower couldn't take out.

One has to be gentle with both the brush and the sensor swabs.

And make sure you do see it at F-stops that you would use. I use F16 when I need to do long exposure landscapes during the mornings and evenings. I rarely use apertures smaller than F11 when I am shooting normally.

03-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Another thing to keep in mind is that shooting at very small apertures (f/32) can start to degrade the image a tad, so unless you have a very specific reason, I'd avoid very small apertures.

Also, just to echo the other posters, the best way to "test" your camera is go take pictures of things you like. When you see something in the image that you don't think should be there, or the camera behaves in a way you don't think it should, then go look for a solution. Often times, the solution is adjusting your technique, or adding new equipment (yeah!), or in rare instances, the equipment is faulty. Just go take pictures of fun things.
03-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #33
Forum Member

Original Poster
Philoslothical, yes, now I raise the mirror everytime I wanna use the rocket blower. btw, now I have more dust on focus screen .

Rfortson, on sky, dust can be seen even at ~ f/12.

I have ordered lensPen, lens cleaning system. Is it safe to use it on sensor ? I used to think sensor is too delicate to be touched so I am not sure if
I dare to touch it with a brush.

JinDesu, looks you have used Eclipse cleaning system solution and it is made for this purpose. So may be it is the way to clean the sensor.

Thanks all.

Last edited by kamisu; 03-27-2012 at 03:38 PM.
03-28-2012, 05:47 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kamisu Quote
Philoslothical, yes, now I raise the mirror everytime I wanna use the rocket blower. btw, now I have more dust on focus screen .

Rfortson, on sky, dust can be seen even at ~ f/12.

I have ordered lensPen, lens cleaning system. Is it safe to use it on sensor ? I used to think sensor is too delicate to be touched so I am not sure if
I dare to touch it with a brush.

JinDesu, looks you have used Eclipse cleaning system solution and it is made for this purpose. So may be it is the way to clean the sensor.

Thanks all.
LensPen does have a sensor cleaning product, but I have no experience with it. No idea if it differs compared to normal LensPens.

The surface of the sensor is actually not delicate, it is covered by a piece of glass that contains the AA filter. So when you are cleaning the "sensor", in actuality you are cleaning the AA filter glass on top of the sensor, not the sensor itself.

03-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #35

I'm not sure if its been mentioned but there is a setting to check for sensor dust in the camera - just below clean menu. this works really well. .. I had dreaded dust on my 3 week old k -5 ... I have 2 lenses both new and have changed between them perhaps 3 times...
I used the setting to lock the mirror up and 4 squirts with a rocket blower the dust has gone...job done ....
If only i didnt suffer from ocd there would be so many old manual lenses that i could buy really cheap
03-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #36
Forum Member

Dirty lenses

Take a look at this to get an idea of how much lens dust it takes to affect image quality.

Dirty lens article

Last edited by dvest; 03-29-2012 at 09:52 AM.
03-29-2012, 06:50 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dvest Quote
Take a look at this to get an idea of how much dust it takes to affect image quality.

Dirty lens article
This should be a sticky on every camera forum out there. I've seen similar posts from a Pentax user. He had a lens with a smashed front element. Except for shots into the sun, it took perfectly acceptable photos.

Thanks for posting this.
03-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dvest Quote
Take a look at this to get an idea of how much dust it takes to affect image quality.

Dirty lens article
Enlightening, isn't it?