Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2012, 03:36 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-5, what focus mode for moving objects?

As the title suggests, what focus mode would you use for moving objects, such as mountain bikers, and why?
I've used single point myself (selected AF), but I do end up with a fair bit of 'slightly out of focus' pictures so I was wondering what you guys use.

//Mikael

03-27-2012, 04:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would use multi point AF because using the centre only will be bouncing all over the place
and you would need to keep your subject in the centre which make compostion more dificult. Alternativly... for single shots I would use manual focus and pre focus on a spot in readyness.
03-27-2012, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
as a photographer, cyclist and skier i recommend.....

AF/ 5point /and continuous.
03-27-2012, 01:04 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I Agree w/ Deiberson, - AF/5 point/Continuous

I'm usually shooting skydivers landing which can be fast moving. I usually use AV mode set to F8. F8 is the sweet spot for many lenses and offers enough depth of field so focus can be slightly off and you still get a usable photo. In bright sun the shutter speed will still be fast enough to capture the action without blurring even at low ISO. I only worry about the ISO in darker settings where I might set the ISO at 800 (more or less depending) to keep the K5 at F8 and still have a fast enough shutter speed. The K5's sensor is good enough so that using a higher ISO doesn't diminish the IQ much if at all.

03-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

+1

I use the same settings for sports shots of my kids.

QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
as a photographer, cyclist and skier i recommend.....

AF/ 5point /and continuous.
03-27-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

What about SR? Do you guys turn it off? Have you noticed a difference on the continuous drive?
03-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well I think it also depends on the movement (speed and direction) to wich way of using your camera (AF/focuspoints/SR).

There is no One-size-fits-all solution.

03-27-2012, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
What about SR? Do you guys turn it off? Have you noticed a difference on the continuous drive?
Since your shooting fast moving objects you will most likely be shooting high shutter speeds to freeze the movement so SR is best left off.
Also... SR doesnt like shooting in quick sequence and needs a couple of seconds to settle for each shot.
You can also try panning techniuqes to try for different kind of images and you can have fun experimenting with that too.
03-27-2012, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Also, wether you use 5 point or eleven point autofucus is more down to your subject matter. For example.... 5 point is better for say tracking an individual rider
but if its a group I would use the full 11 points. I cover a lot of the horse racing and I use 11 points because you never Know which horse is going to come over
the fence first and its a wide spread group. With the K5 you could opt to use TAV too. Set your shutter speed to about 500sec aprature to about 5.6-8 and let the camera choose your ISO to suit. Nothing is a substitute for experience though. So just use this info as a starting point and enjoy.
03-28-2012, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

When I use auto AF, I prefer 5-point versus 11-point. As some have noticed, the outer AF sensors are much less accurate (sensitive?) than the inner or center sensors. Using 5-point AF effectively switches off the less-accurate outer sensors.
03-28-2012, 08:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
Since your shooting fast moving objects you will most likely be shooting high shutter speeds to freeze the movement so SR is best left off.
Also... SR doesnt like shooting in quick sequence and needs a couple of seconds to settle for each shot.
You can also try panning techniuqes to try for different kind of images and you can have fun experimenting with that too.
How does in lens stabilization fare in these conditions? Would a sigma 70-200 OS be worth the premium over the tamron? The tripod is of course king, but it is not always practical.
03-28-2012, 08:30 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

great post... great tips... thanks !! dave m
03-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikknu Quote
K-5, what focus mode for moving objects?
Without a doubt, Manual Focus for anything moving faster than a kid. I love Pentax, however, I am not aware of any other AutoFocus system worse than the Pentax system for moving objects.
03-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
How does in lens stabilization fare in these conditions? Would a sigma 70-200 OS be worth the premium over the tamron? The tripod is of course king, but it is not always practical.
Sorry I couldnt say about the tamron version since Ive never used one with OS.
I just know on the Nikon VR lenses, when I have accidently left them turned on there didnt seem to be any adverse affects.
I would expect this is because its done in lens rather than camera body but I cant say its a fact.
03-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
Sorry I couldnt say about the tamron version since Ive never used one with OS.
I just know on the Nikon VR lenses, when I have accidently left them turned on there didnt seem to be any adverse affects.
I would expect this is because its done in lens rather than camera body but I cant say its a fact.
Well then, if what Nikon claims is true, and Sigma reverse engineered/stole their VR technology then a Sigma might hold up. The Tamron does not have OS at all, but it costs half what the Sigma does and seems to have a better reputation optically.