Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-01-2012, 03:47 AM   #31
Adorama Camera Representative

Decent retailers return faulty or used items to the vendor for a partial credit, or sell them as open box or used.

However, as the vendors allow retailers to return equipment as new, because of over-stocks, exchanges etc. there is no doubt that unscrupulous or careless retailers could package up customer returns and send them back to the manufacturer as new, which could then form part of the inventory for sending out to other retailers. We can’t inspect the contents of the packages received into the warehouse – or they become ‘open box’.
If the manufacturer doesn't check the equipment before sending it back out, from the customer's perspective it is the retailer who looks bad, even though it may well have not been their fault.

At Adorama we do have liberal return policies and there is no doubt that on occasion this is taken advantage of - however we are clear that this does not exempt us from checking any and all returns, but some retailers don't. The problem is that we are all relying upon humans to carry out the required procedures at every point in the transaction, which can, and does, result in mistakes at any place along the line.

If a returned item is not in MINT condition it will be transferred to a store bin as a demo or floor model, sold as open box, returned to the vendor or sold via our used department.

If an Adorama customer has any concerns of any kind about a unit purchased from our website, we offer a 30-day returns period.

04-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #32

Photos: Gallery
FWIW, I received a K-5 from B&H this Friday. I have not had the chance to really look at it and power it on until tonight. It has the strap rings installed and zero shutter count. Manufactured on 2011-09-14.
04-01-2012, 09:19 PM   #33

I received my K-5 from B&H on Friday as well. The strap rings were installed (in fact, the manual seems to suggest they would come installed ... see pg 18). My shutter count was zero and my mfg date was 2011-09-16. Similar to the OP, I was also a little curious as some of the little plastic bags weren't closed with tape, but I'm satistified. I am waiting for B&H to get the 2 year extended warranty back in stock (strangest thing that they go in and out of stock?)
04-02-2012, 06:41 AM   #34

Yes, some, may be most of the bags had no tape.

04-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperK5 Quote
I believe you have to call up your authorized retailer to initiate warranty service... Another good reason to buy from a reputable seller.

I didn't,. I got my k5 from Amazon. When it needed to go to CHRIS, I was required to enclose my purchase invoice----which I had lost
so I opened my Amazon Account printed off a copy of my purchase invoice which was archived and available 'on line' and attached it to the CHRIS
request for service form which was on the PENTAXUSA site and mailed all off. It came back fixed within a reasonable time, and has stayed fixed.
04-05-2012, 05:34 AM   #36

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got my K-5 on Tuesday from Adorama. The strap rings were installed, shutter count was zero, manufacture date Jan 16 2012. What a nice camera!
04-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #37
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
Decent retailers return faulty or used items to the vendor for a partial credit, or sell them as open box or used.

However, as the vendors allow retailers to return equipment as new, because of over-stocks, exchanges etc. there is no doubt that unscrupulous or careless retailers could package up customer returns and send them back to the manufacturer as new, which could then form part of the inventory for sending out to other retailers. We can’t inspect the contents of the packages received into the warehouse – or they become ‘open box’.
If the manufacturer doesn't check the equipment before sending it back out, from the customer's perspective it is the retailer who looks bad, even though it may well have not been their fault.

At Adorama we do have liberal return policies and there is no doubt that on occasion this is taken advantage of - however we are clear that this does not exempt us from checking any and all returns, but some retailers don't. The problem is that we are all relying upon humans to carry out the required procedures at every point in the transaction, which can, and does, result in mistakes at any place along the line.

If a returned item is not in MINT condition it will be transferred to a store bin as a demo or floor model, sold as open box, returned to the vendor or sold via our used department.

If an Adorama customer has any concerns of any kind about a unit purchased from our website, we offer a 30-day returns period.
Thanks for the reply Helen. So to be clear, are you saying that it is possible Adorama received a unit from Pentax/Ricoh (that was originally from another vendor, sent back as overstock) that was actually used and delivered to Adorama to sell as new? WOW. I found out mine was manufactured in 8/2011 while others here on this thread have received their K5 manufactured in 1/2012. As I said in my post earlier. I have checked the camera out and I can't find a fault yet. I would rather not return it as I know the next may have issues. But, thanks for the insight.

Also, what happens to the items sold as new from Adorama when they are returned? Does Adorama check all of them prior to restock? How is 'Mint' determined? Don't get me wrong. I applaud Adorama's return policy which is one reason I chose to use them. I guess I didn't realize that would mean a returned item, potentially used for several weeks, could be sold as new if deemed as 'Mint.'

mark