Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
New K5?

I just bought my K5 from Adorama. It arrived yesterday. As excited as I am, I am wondering if this is a restocked item. The camera looks in good condition. But, when I put the battery in and turned the camera it already had the right language and date and time was set. Some of the default settings were changed. I put a formatted card in and took a snap, the file number was 100-2110. Also the triangle lug attachments came installed. Is that standard? I only had about 5-10 minutes to look at the camera this morning so there may be other things wrong. I am wondering what others have experienced. Would you send the camera back?

Also, not to start a thread for this but is the Sensor Stain still an issue I should be looking for? How can I tell? I don't know how to tell when my camera was made. I know the plate still says the it is a Hoya corporation and not Ricoh. This may not mean anything. Those that bought a new K5 recently, does yours say Hoya or RIcoh?

Thanks.

03-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You can look up the shuttercount in the EXIF viewer like photome for example.
It's normal if it has "some" shutter actions but it shouldn't be in the hundred.

The sensor stain is as far as i know resolved for a year almost.
Was only the first 3 or 4 months that it was a real problem.
03-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Anvh! Ever since the format here changed to separate out the different models K5, Kr and DSLR's into subforums, I haven't kept up with the issues of the models I didn't own.

Is there a program for mac users to check the count?
03-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-27-2012, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #5
Ole
Administrator

The triangles are installed from the factory.

If the camera is brand new then language, date and time will not have been set and the first image will be IMGP0001.

I wouldn't accept a shutter count in the 1'000s, but you cannot rely on the file name to tell the shutter count. As Anvh said, use PhotoMe or you can check it using this handy tool on PentaxForums (requires no software download): Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader .
03-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Both of my K5's had a shutter count of zero when new.
03-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote

If the camera is brand new then language, date and time will not have been set and the first image will be IMGP0001.

I wouldn't accept a shutter count in the 1'000s, but you cannot rely on the file name to tell the shutter count. As Anvh said, use PhotoMe or you can check it using this handy tool on PentaxForums (requires no software download): Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader .

Thank you! I will check later today when I get back. Would you call and try to return the camera? Or, Maybe they can give me a restocking fee (15%) credit

03-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Mine did not have triangles installed from the factory, purchased in November last year. Date and time were not set, nor language, out of the box. My shutter count started from 1.

Check the EXIF data to find out the shutter count for sure, but it sounds like a return, not a new camera. I would accept a shutter count below 100, but nothing more.
03-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #9
Pentaxian

After reading this I checked on my new K-5. Same thing, the first picture I took with it was number 2587, and the memory card doesn't come out very easy, you have to tug it to get it out. It made me wonder if someone else had returned it. So shortly after reading this thread I sent an email to Henry's, and they phoned back a few minutes later, to ask me to return it. If I lived in an urban area they would have driven to my house to do the exchange.. since I don't I've arranged to do the swap at their Barrie store in a few days.
03-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
FYI, Adorama/B&H both do this if the item is returned to them in like new condition w/o any mention of problems. If it was returned for a problem, they're sent back to the manufacturer.

B&H told me this after I got a Tamron 28-75 that was obviously opened and smelled of cigarette smoke. It was my 3rd one and had the least BF/FF problems (previous ones were sent back w/ a CD and images documenting the problem). They took care of return shipping all 3 times, so great CS, but you should be aware of their like-new return policy...
03-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #11
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
FYI, Adorama/B&H both do this if the item is returned to them in like new condition w/o any mention of problems. If it was returned for a problem, they're sent back to the manufacturer.

B&H told me this after I got a Tamron 28-75 that was obviously opened and smelled of cigarette smoke. It was my 3rd one and had the least BF/FF problems (previous ones were sent back w/ a CD and images documenting the problem). They took care of return shipping all 3 times, so great CS, but you should be aware of their like-new return policy...
Interesting. I was wondering if that was the case. I think I will go home and take another look. I will try the program here and see what the actual count is. If it is not bad, I may just hold on the return, given it is possible I get another previously used camera. Honestly, if the date was not set, I would not have noticed. The File number I know can be misleading. The camera is to my first glance without a scratch. I mounted my 77 and 43 mm and I must say the images which were snaps were... beautiful. If the camera is otherwise good, I don't want to turn it in and get a lemon. Tough decision. I think I will wait to see what the actual shutter count is. If it is in the low one -two hundred maybe I'll keep it.
03-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #12

I bought a "new" K-5 in Jan 2012 in Australia, which had a shutter count of over 3,000 & date of manufacture Oct 2010. I was unhappy with this, as when I pay for new, I don't expect refurbished (that is also illegal, in Australia at least). It's just the principle of not knowing the history & what previous issues might have been.

So I asked for a replacement & got a new one with shutter count zero and manufactured Oct 2011. You should also be able to see the date of manufacture in the exif information. Check the serial number too. If it's fairly new, it should have a serial no. starting with "41..." or "42..."
03-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #13
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
After reading this I checked on my new K-5. Same thing, the first picture I took with it was number 2587, and the memory card doesn't come out very easy, you have to tug it to get it out. It made me wonder if someone else had returned it. So shortly after reading this thread I sent an email to Henry's, and they phoned back a few minutes later, to ask me to return it. If I lived in an urban area they would have driven to my house to do the exchange.. since I don't I've arranged to do the swap at their Barrie store in a few days.
Certain brands of memory cards don't come out easily on the K-7 and K-5. I'm afarid that's a "feature" of these cameras. The Q and K-01 are much better in this aspect.

Someone looked into this a while back and it turned out that SD cards have varying thickness. Apparently Pentax didn't allow for much deviation from the norm.
03-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Certain brands of memory cards don't come out easily on the K-7 and K-5. I'm afarid that's a "feature" of these cameras. The Q and K-01 are much better in this aspect.

Someone looked into this a while back and it turned out that SD cards have varying thickness. Apparently Pentax didn't allow for much deviation from the norm.
They're not the only one. My PC destroyed a card which was something like 0,01mm thicker than the others. the camera takes it well, but the PC reader sheared off one corner.
03-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Very interesting... I took a card from another camera and it does work much easier, but now the camera is fried. It won't read any camera card. I guess last night's shots will be it's last. No K-5 until the end of the week... I'm so lucky I already phoned and go this arranged. Otherwise I'd be freaking out right now.