Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
New K5 arrived today!!!

I also ordered the battery grip, remote, extra battery, and an extra Pearstone Compact Charger. Ordered from B&H last Wednesday. Very quick service.

Initial impressions:

- I will be about 6 months before I use the camera. It will take that long to read the manual. Film looks pretty east at this point.

- Pearstone Charger: Even though it says it is for the D-Li90 batteries. They won't fit onto it and contacts don't line up anyways. No idea what battery it is really for as all the labels I can see say it is for the D-Li90 battery. Obviously it is not. I wanted it for the ability to charge off the car 12V system. I don't even know if it is worth the hassle to return the thing as it was only $20. I may fire off an e-mail to B&H so they can check their stock. Nobody else needs to have this happen to them.

- Camera itself: Glad I got the battery grip. I was able to install some AA batteries (6) and turn on the camera. Took about 45 minutes to get it up and running as I scanned the manual to do things like format the SD card etc. I installed a Pentax manual focus 28-80mm lens on the camera and take a few pictures.

All in all pretty pleased. I see a long learning curve to learn all the functions. That will be a bit of a chore. I guess the old dog will have to learn a few new tricks.

Edited to add first photo taken

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by gaweidert; 03-27-2012 at 11:43 AM.
03-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
- Camera itself: Glad I got the battery grip. I was able to install some AA batteries (6) and turn on the camera. Took about 45 minutes to get it up and running as I scanned the manual to do things like format the SD card etc. I installed a Pentax manual focus 28-80mm lens on the camera and take a few pictures.
Yeah, the grip is a must-have as far as I'm concerned. Makes the camera much easier to hold!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
sounds like you're going from film to digital? wow, your first dslr!! I remember that day vividly... realized pretty quickly that I had a lot more to learn to get the most out of the camera congrats and good luck w/ your camera! hope you come to the same conclusion as I that the camera is pretty incredible!
03-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats on the new camera! Don't give up on reading the manual, there is a lot of good info in there. I also agree with the grip being must have. Made the K-5 much more comfortable and vertical shots less awkward.