Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #1

just got a Metz 58 AF-2!

So after a long and careful thinking I told my family I want this flash as a birthday gift, So we went to the only store in my country (Israel) that has new Pentax gear in stock (the Metz importer and its only the 50 & 58 flashes ). the damage was the equivalent to 500$, witch is the same price I'd pay if I had it shipped from B&H .
And I'm in love!
I have never believed I would enjoy using a flash on my K-5.
editing:
Thanks for every one how has helped me decide

Last edited by Eran.mrg; 03-27-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Thanks
03-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am sure it is one great flash! Enjoy! I have the 48 and absolutely love it.
03-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Congratulations with your gift. I own it myself and love using it.
03-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It's a great flash once you come to grips with the manual. I always enjoy using Metz products, I have several flashes they produced during the 80s and an old flash my Dad had in the early sixties still works as well.

Lots of options on it, some I've still not really used in over a year!

03-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep I have to agree with the others. Metz flashes are fantastic, I have the AF-2 as well and it does everything I could want of it... And more, but I haven't quite figured those things out just yet
03-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
And more, but I haven't quite figured those things out just yet
And the manual is not exactly what you'd call 'clear & informative' is it.
03-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
And the manual is not exactly what you'd call 'clear & informative' is it.
I assumed that was just my incompetence and lack of flash knowledge... But sure, I like your view a lot better.

03-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
I assumed that was just my incompetence and lack of flash knowledge... But sure, I like your view a lot better.
It's not any incompetence or lack of knowledge, that I can assure you , I think it has to do more with being translated from the original German.

Wonder if anyone around here knows German and has a Metz, I'd love to know if the manual makes more sense if you know the language.
03-27-2012, 07:03 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I only have the German manual of the 40 MZ-2. It explains everything very accurately, but in parts uses a rather complicated structure of the sentences.

If I had to write the English manual (I wrote a lot of technical manuals in German and in English), I would tend to re-write instead of just translate. Our languages are closely related in words, but not at all in grammar. A sentence by sentence translation from German to English is often nearly impossible. Everyone who understands both languages can easily verify this by testing Google Translate; English -> German gets you reasonable results, German -> English only if it was "tabloid" speaking, otherwise the results are just rubbish.
03-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
I only have the German manual of the 40 MZ-2. It explains everything very accurately, but in parts uses a rather complicated structure of the sentences.

If I had to write the English manual (I wrote a lot of technical manuals in German and in English), I would tend to re-write instead of just translate. Our languages are closely related in words, but not at all in grammar. A sentence by sentence translation from German to English is often nearly impossible. Everyone who understands both languages can easily verify this by testing Google Translate; English -> German gets you reasonable results, German -> English only if it was "tabloid" speaking, otherwise the results are just rubbish.
Hmm, very interesting.

I wonder how the English version was created then, rewritten or translated. The manual does contain lots of information, it just seems rather complicated to me (and others) in how it's presented.

Thanks for the insight.
06-16-2012, 03:10 AM   #11

Hi Eran,

Just discovered your thread about the Metz 58 AF2. Congratulations, it's an awesome flash, and in my opinion it's the best flash there is today for Pentax cameras.
I have it too, so that makes (to the best of my knowledge) two of us in Israel who have it.
The operating manual that comes with the flash is unfortunately not the best and is missing the chapter on servo mode. Metz posted it separately on their website here:
Pentax: Metz.

I strongly recommend using Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable batteries, along with a good charger such as one of the Maha chargers (I have a few and they're excellent).

Even though I've had the flash for over a year and use it quite frequently, I find that I have quite a lot to still learn on how to use it, especially in tricky lighting situations.
06-16-2012, 05:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benie Quote
I strongly recommend using Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable batteries, along with a good charger such as one of the Maha chargers (I have a few and they're excellent).
I'd agree completely on this. I use a load of eneloops for everything and the Maha charger is great. I love being able to program each of the four batteries individually.
06-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
Our languages are closely related in words, but not at all in grammar. A sentence by sentence translation from German to English is often nearly impossible. Everyone who understands both languages can easily verify this by testing Google Translate; English -> German gets you reasonable results, German -> English only if it was "tabloid" speaking, otherwise the results are just rubbish.
Slightly off topic: I find it interesting that Translate does such a great job translating in some combinations. One that comes to mind is Finnish--> Slovene (due to a member here who only posts in Finnish). It's 99% readable, if you forget the quirks of the latter language.