Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
And on another note, never put all your eggs in one basket. So rather buy two smaller cards (of minimum required capacity) than one bigger one.
I'm on the other end though, i've never broke a card but already lost several... so the less the better for me

Also the card really fills fast when doing video, i can't imagine using smaller cards then 16GB for that 32~64GB would be ideal i think.

03-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
I'm on the other end though, i've never broke a card but already lost several... so the less the better for me
I went on a 2 week holiday in the bush and after three days shooting my (P&S) camera told me that there were no images on the card. Glad I had a spare; swapped it out and kept on shooting and after I came home I could recover all images. Without a spare, I either would have lost photos or I would have lost photo opportunities.

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Also the card really fills fast when doing video, i can't imagine using smaller cards then 16GB for that 32~64GB would be ideal i think.
I understand that; therefor I stated 'minimum required capacity'; for me that's 8 or 16GB (I don't do video), for somebody else that might be a 64 or 128GB.
03-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 123jippo Quote
I did test 3 different SDHC cards with my K5 in High Speed Continuous mode 14 seconds time keeping shoot button down. Results:

- 34 DNG photos with Transcend 8GB class 6 card
- 40 DNG photos with Transcend 32GB class 10 card (20mb/s)
- 44 DNG photos with Sandisk Extreme 16GB (30mb/s)
IMHO your test was flawed. I mean, you found out that Sandisk is faster than your Transcend class 10 card and class 6 card, however your throughput speed numbers are wrong. You need to measure time while K-5 buffer is cleared to memory card (i.e. while the light is on).
03-29-2012, 12:48 AM   #19

Can anybody confirm that issues with SDXC were solved with the latest firmware upgrade of the K5 ?
Yes the issues have been solved. I now use a 128gb Lexar Pro card and have no problems. Before the FW 1.13 update I would occasionally have corrupted file message using this same card.

I know some say it may be bad to use large capacity cards, but the more cards you carry, the more chances of losing one or more...it's a chance you take either way.

Last edited by jessecad; 03-29-2012 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Add more info
03-29-2012, 05:02 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
IMHO your test was flawed. I mean, you found out that Sandisk is faster than your Transcend class 10 card and class 6 card, however your throughput speed numbers are wrong. You need to measure time while K-5 buffer is cleared to memory card (i.e. while the light is on).
I understand what u mean. Anyway I wanted to know how many pics I can take not how long light is on (=still writing) cos only numbers of pics matters for me.
03-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I went on a 2 week holiday in the bush and after three days shooting my (P&S) camera told me that there were no images on the card. Glad I had a spare; swapped it out and kept on shooting and after I came home I could recover all images. Without a spare, I either would have lost photos or I would have lost photo opportunities.
I've 2 main cards of 16GB and a spare of 8GB so i'm covered as well but i wouldn't think about keeping track of 8 4GB cards for example....

The 8GB is actually in the soundrecorder but i often take that one with me so there is only 1 card lose in the bag.
03-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #22
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jessecad Quote
Yes the issues have been solved. I now use a 128gb Lexar Pro card and have no problems. Before the FW 1.13 update I would occasionally have corrupted file message using this same card.

I know some say it may be bad to use large capacity cards, but the more cards you carry, the more chances of losing one or more...it's a chance you take either way.
Good to read, I will look into those new and faster cards.

03-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #23
Inactive Account

My personal favorite and it does not get stuck in the card slot either.

High Speed SDHC Card - SanDisk Extreme® SDHC? UHS-I Cards | SanDisk®

Be sure to buy Sandisk cards from an authorized reseller. There have been problems out there with some very convincing looking counterfeit cards.
It is said that about 33% of the cards sold on eBay are fakes.

eBay Guides - FAKE SanDisk Ultra Secure Digital Cards Exposed
03-30-2012, 06:57 AM   #24
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperK5 Quote
Good advice - I have had good performance from SanDisk products in the past. My Lexar Pro cards are tough to pull out of the slot and I have been meaning to try to figure out which ones are the right size to release correctly.

Personally I like multiple smaller (usually 16 gb) cards for failure risk reduction as well as the better value they represent. But for that to work well you obviously need to be able to easily swap the cards. Sounds like my engineering background might be rearing its ugly head!
03-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SuperK5 Quote

High Speed SDHC Card - SanDisk Extreme® SDHC? UHS-I Cards | SanDisk®

Be sure to buy Sandisk cards from an authorized reseller. There have been problems out there with some very convincing looking counterfeit cards.
It is said that about 33% of the cards sold on eBay are fakes.

eBay Guides - FAKE SanDisk Ultra Secure Digital Cards Exposed
Absolutely true. I got several fake cards a couple of years ago from eBay sellers with 10k+ sales and 99.9+ ratings. It seems that most folks never really look under the hood as long as the SD card works in their device. Both the cards I got were marked 4gb (it was a couple of years ago) but were in fact 1gb capacity at MUCH lower transfer rates than marked.